Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2010 4:54:20 PM EDT
I recently read a thread how a member ate only the Mainstay bars for 3 days.........this made me want to rip one of my packs open and try one......they are 5 years old but have been in a controlled environment(closet)  let me tell you......I HATED IT!!  what a disgusting lump of shit.......seriously I really couldnt finish one bar.  So my question what do the Datrex bars taste like???  I have a couple boxes of MREs also but those are put aside for emergency purposes of course........what do you guys pack in your BOBs??  I am thinking of dumping the mainstays and just getting some protein bars.

what do you guys think.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I put Mountain House in my bag, but have thought about adding some Mainstay bars.  My understanding is that the Mainstay are better than Datrex, but I could have that backwards...
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#2]
serously?  thats  a shame.......I struggled to swallow one bite.....I mean I guess if it was life or death but it was pretty nasty.  if you want mine and pay for shipping you can have them all.  I am sure I can get them all in a flat rate box.

what are others doing for food in BOBs?
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Both.  One of each.  Provides a small amount of variety in two small packages.

I'll have to break one of each open and try them I guess.

I put tuna packets & MH Pro-Paks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
how long will the sealed tuna packs last in a BOB in the back of a car trunk?  I live in FL........hell for that matter how long will MREs last back there
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
how long will the sealed tuna packs last in a BOB in the back of a car trunk?  I live in FL........hell for that matter how long will MREs last back there

In the summer time, the tuna will go about a week.... MRE entrees  ... maybe 2 or 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
an MRE in a BOB in the back of a trunk will only last 2 to 3 weeks?    how can that be?  these things are in the worst heat and conditions overseas and I would assume they are lasting longer than that
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-longevity.html

It's going to get too hot to keep them in your car long if your car acts like mine does in the sun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
so besides mountain house freeze dried.....what do you guys recommend for storing in the car
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've posted before about Claxton fruit cakes.

High calories, store very well, sugar, fat, wheat, morale booster.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

do tell
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry one block of Mainstays, some Powerbars, some single serving soup packets, and some single serving instant coffee, instant cocoa, and Gatoraid.  They will pretty much last in any temp, and give me some verity. They are also small and lite weight, with the exception of the Mainstay.  Sealed in a vacuum bag the whole pack fits in one of the outer compartments of my med. ALICE pack with plenty of room for my Esbit stove and other goodies.

stasiman

BTW:  It is geared for a three day run, but I could stretch it out a couple of days if needed (And yes, I have tried it out.  I was a little hungry at the end of each day, but managed to make it through my daily activities OK(might be worse under stress)).  I found the Mainstays to be pretty flavorless, but harmless.  Needed water to wash'em down.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for posting that
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Make sure to bring on the Metamucil if you intend to last more than a couple
of days on the food bars!
You can store some in a small plastic bottle in your BOB...

AC
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I find that the Datrex bars remind me of Pecan Sandies, taste-wise. Not bad. Mainstays tasted okay but left a nasty nasty slimy aftertaste that took awhile to go away. I could deal with the Datrex rations for a time, and would rather go w/o the Mainstays.

I used to keep Datrex rations, plus Clif Bars in the car...rotate the Clif bars every 6 months; they do go stale after awhile. MREs seem to do okay here in the trunk, though I'd rotate them when you rotate the MREs to be on the safe side. (MREs go inside a bag that has clothes, etc, to help keep them insulated from the summer heat - they get warm but not really hot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
UPDATE:

ok guys I decided to pull the trigger and buy some of the millenium energy bars.  These are made by SOS out of Miami(they make bars just like mainstay and datrex) they have a 5 yr shelf life and are 400 calories a bar. There are 9 different flavors......cherry, raspberry, tropical fruit, apricot, coconut, blueberry, orange, vanilla, and lemon.

I have ripped all nine bars open and tasted each one..........they ROCK!!!!   seriously these things are fantastic, I liked them all except the vanilla as I dont care for artificial vanilla tastes.....but it was still very good.  These do not make you thirsty and you do not need water.  I will be storing a few of these in all my BOBs.  Do not hesitate to purchase these.......they really taste great!

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FM%20R045&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FRFM%20R045&bhcd2=1269117098

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I found that cliff bars survive well in my car in GA weather, from blazing heat to freezing temps. Taste good too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
how long have you gone without swapping the cliff bars?     these gars are vacume sealed and have a 5 yr shelf life
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

how long have you gone without swapping the cliff bars?     these gars are vacume sealed and have a 5 yr shelf life

Had some Clif bars in my trunk for 6-9 months in north Texas.  They were pretty tough afterwords, but still highly edible.

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
a few jars of peanuts in the trunk stay good even in the heat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

ok guys I decided to pull the trigger and buy some of the millenium energy bars.  These are made by SOS out of Miami(they make bars just like mainstay and datrex) they have a 5 yr shelf life and are 400 calories a bar. There are 9 different flavors......cherry, raspberry, tropical fruit, apricot, coconut, blueberry, orange, vanilla, and lemon.

I have ripped all nine bars open and tasted each one..........they ROCK!!!!   seriously these things are fantastic, I liked them all except the vanilla as I dont care for artificial vanilla tastes.....but it was still very good.  These do not make you thirsty and you do not need water.  I will be storing a few of these in all my BOBs.  Do not hesitate to purchase these.......they really taste great!

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FM%20R045&sid=FROOGLE&EID=FRFM%20R045&bhcd2=1269117098

Appreciate the post.  Would note that they do contain 3.5g Trans. Fat

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
UPDATE:

They may rock (so do cliff bars), but I don't see it mentioned that they meet SOLAS requirements.  This puts them into a different league then Datrex and Mainstay.  The SOLAS requirements are very strict.

Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had good luck with Minute Rice vacuum packed into single servings. Some bouillon cubes or dry soup mix added to it makes it taste pretty good. Seems to last pretty good in the truck in heat or cold.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#23]
straight from their website:

"The food and water rations made by S.O.S are coast guard, transport canada, and SOLAS approved"
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been packing Larabars. I am diabetic and celiac so I had to decide if I wanted to have food that spikes my sugar or made me have a violent intestinal reaction. I figgered I can medicate and that if I were eating out of my bag I'd be burning calories pretty quick anyhow.

Larabars are dates with salt and nuts and sometimes spices. I get the peanutbutter cookie ones.

Hey are not perfect but they don't seems to spike me too bad and don't give me the intestinal issues like bars made from wheat or oats.

Now I just need to figger out how to make survival bars out of meat and cheese.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a bunch of these about 2 or 3 years ago.  I don't mind them, they taste like a vanilla cookie.  They keep well in my cars, satisfy hunger OK, and the price was certainly right.  I also have some Datrex bars, but haven't eaten any.

http://www.quakekare.com./index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=21
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 2:21:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I recently read a thread how a member ate only the Mainstay bars for 3 days.........this made me want to rip one of my packs open and try one......they are 5 years old but have been in a controlled environment(closet) let me tell you......I HATED IT!! what a disgusting lump of shit.......seriously I really couldnt finish one bar. So my question what do the Datrex bars taste like??? I have a couple boxes of MREs also but those are put aside for emergency purposes of course........what do you guys pack in your BOBs?? I am thinking of dumping the mainstays and just getting some protein bars.

what do you guys think.

i pack cliff bars, retort meat packets,electrolyte mixes,,,more electrolyte mixes, more cliff bars, mixed nuts. lipton pasta and rice sides, more electrolyte mixes. I pack jerky as well and rotate it out every few months.

ETA: i keep cliff bars in my truck kit as well. 2 years in the florida heat and they are still good to go. Little dry but good none the less. 3 year old ones lept in my BOB indoors are still good. Matter of fact i think i ate a 2007 dated one this weekend on my  hike

sides that i plan to eat posers along the way

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I recently read a thread how a member ate only the Mainstay bars for 3 days.........this made me want to rip one of my packs open and try one......they are 5 years old but have been in a controlled environment(closet) let me tell you......I HATED IT!! what a disgusting lump of shit.......seriously I really couldnt finish one bar. So my question what do the Datrex bars taste like??? I have a couple boxes of MREs also but those are put aside for emergency purposes of course........what do you guys pack in your BOBs?? I am thinking of dumping the mainstays and just getting some protein bars.

what do you guys think.

i pack cliff bars, retort meat packets,electrolyte mixes,,,more electrolyte mixes, more cliff bars, mixed nuts. lipton pasta and rice sides, more electrolyte mixes. I pack jerky as well and rotate it out every few months.
ETA: i keep cliff bars in my truck kit as well. 2 years in the florida heat and they are still good to go. Little dry but good none the less. 3 year old ones lept in my BOB indoors are still good. Matter of fact i think i ate a 2007 dated one this weekend on my  hike

So tell me, what exactly makes someone a survival poser?
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you guys think.

ETA: i keep cliff bars in my truck kit as well. 2 years in the florida heat and they are still good to go. Little dry but good none the less. 3 year old ones lept in my BOB indoors are still good. Matter of fact i think i ate a 2007 dated one this weekend on my hike

i'd rather not derail this thread into what my opinion of those who talk plenty but do little is !

if you want to know you can start a new thread and i'll be happy to give my 2 cents then.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you guys think.

ETA: i keep cliff bars in my truck kit as well. 2 years in the florida heat and they are still good to go. Little dry but good none the less. 3 year old ones lept in my BOB indoors are still good. Matter of fact i think i ate a 2007 dated one this weekend on my hike

i'd rather not derail this thread into what my opinion of those who talk plenty but do little is !
if you want to know you can start a new thread and i'll be happy to give my 2 cents then.

I try to have a pack ready to go in my car always...........its nice to know you got a few things to hold you over in case of an emergency.

Protus I dont get what you mean?  are you saying people in general(like me) who try to stay prepared some what are posers?

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you guys think.

I try to have a pack ready to go in my car always...........its nice to know you got a few things to hold you over in case of an emergency.

Protus I dont get what you mean? are you saying people in general(like me) who try to stay prepared some what are posers?

not you SM. I didnt want to derail it with one of my multicam kifaru wearing gear fags suck rants that all.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]
thanks Protus....I hear ya

millenium bars is made by SOS out of miami......its stated on the website.....and all my bars had a 5yr exp date
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I found that cliff bars survive well in my car in GA weather, from blazing heat to freezing temps. Taste good too.

I've also found Cliffs to be good through extremes. Tasty, too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've also found Cliffs to be good through extremes. Tasty, too.

Yummy 6 pack of choclate brownie cliff bars on sale at target.....

gotta  "rotate" my stocks now LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

do tell

Posted abt this a while back.

In the fall of 2008 we purchased several Claxton fruitcakes from Sam's. They come in bars packed two per package. Each stick is 1 lb and contains 1680 calories, 480 cals from fat.

They contain rasins, pinapple, orange peel, flour, cherries, water, corn syrup, sugar, HFC, margarine, soybean oil, nuts, and a bunch of other good stuff. [Not that HFC is...] In that order on the label.

We kept the bars in a shipping container in the mts and part of the time in a cool place there, other times it was pretty warm.

I would often have a chunk for desert or breakfast during July 2009 thru the fall until December.

They were fresh and tasty right up to running out in December, real tasty and a treat, no sign of spoilage or the oils becoming rancid.

They worked so well we bought more for this year to stock.  I actually had a 1/2 inch piece of one an hour ago after our short hike in the snow before checking the SF.

No special care to store, we just keep opened ones in a ziplock.

When we go several miles [like today], into the mtn when it's sort of difficult to get back out in the deep snow, if our small tracked machine breaks down, we have 2 bars and water, etc, with us this year, -just in case.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OK.....As far as the MRE I have an example for you.  I kept a couple of beef stew MRE entrees in my BOB and it was in the toolbox of my truck.

This means repeatedly frozen, thawed, heated to probably over 120 degrees, etc.  After about 2 years of this I took them out and heated them up.  The veggies were a little "mealy" but they tasted GREAT.

They aren't going to be in pristine shape but they're definitely edible.

I wouldn't carry ANY freeze dried in a BOB.  Realistically, are you going to have the time to find adequate water, heat up the water, and reconstitute the meals?  Probably not.

Better to go with energy bars (Millenium are good) and MREs.  Quick and tasty.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

millenium bars is made by SOS out of miami......its stated on the website.....and all my bars had a 5yr exp date

Thanks I'll check it out!

I'm very interested in these bars. Would they be OK to live off of for 3 days or a week?

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That is a really good idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#40]
The milinium bars are by far the best I have had. I bought a couple boxes a few years back. I keep a few in my carry on luggage when I travel, saved my ass a few times too. Not all airports have resturants open 24 hours, and eating at the airport in Monterey mexico was out of the question
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I may try some of the Millenium bars.  One thing that's good about them is that they are individually wrapped, vs. the Mainstay bars I have now.  I do like the Mainstay bars but once you open the package, they're all opened.  I keep the package inside of a big heavy duty ziploc bag so I can keep them fresh a little longer after opening.  The bag also helps protect the Mainstay packaging.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]
ive had mre's in the truck for a few years, ate them... they were ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top