Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 7:44:58 AM EDT
I have always been under the impression that it was best to keep the fuel levels in power equipment full to prevent water from getting in the system and causing problems. Recently I have read a few things about the alcohol content in fuel causing corrosion and other problems.

That being said, should I keep my equipment full, or condition the equipment for empty storage, then add fuel when I want to use the equipment?

I have a Honda EU2000 that has been tested, but never really gets used for anything yet. A snow blower that gets used maybe 5 months of the year, and a lawn mower that gets used maybe 8 months of the year. I have been keeping the tanks full of StaBill treated fuel when not in use, and running each item for 10 - 15 minutes every few months when the item is not in regular use.

I figure the mower and snow blower are ok to keep fueled when they are getting regular use, but my genny so far has been a "just in case" item.

Thanks for any and all input / advice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#1]
even when running them out of fuel you should make sure there is stabil or some fuel storage product in the fuel because  the bowl of your carb will still be full along with residual fuel in the carb, tank and line which can varnish.

Our brand new suziki outboard has been back to the dealer TWICE because of alcohol in fuel at our cost. 1st it was a fuel pump and 2nd some other bullshit. We were running stabil as reccomended and it did nothing to stop the alcohol issue
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I store gas generators empty.  I like to put a little fuel with PRI G and Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank and run it dry.  The drain all the oil out.  Then pull the float bowel and clean it.  Before putting it back together, I spray a little MMO in the float bowel to help keep the seals moist.  Then I pull the spark plug and spray some MMO in the cylinder to keep things rust free.  Refill the cankcase with oil and crank it over a few times.  Add a little more MMO to the cylinder and reinstall the plug.  

That's what I do to store a gas powered generator.  My diesel generator is stored with a full tank of fuel simply because diesel stores better.  

I start and run the gas generator once per year.  I run it under load until hot, then go through the procedure above.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
even when running them out of fuel you should make sure there is stabil or some fuel storage product in the fuel because  the bowl of your carb will still be full along with residual fuel in the carb, tank and line which can varnish.

Our brand new suziki outboard has been back to the dealer TWICE because of alcohol in fuel at our cost. 1st it was a fuel pump and 2nd some other bullshit. We were running stabil as reccomended and it did nothing to stop the alcohol issue

This...

You will not get all the fuel out of the carb, but it is better then letting the ethanol attack all the fuel system components and absorb moisture.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top