Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 3:22:42 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to fill my aqua-tainers tomorrow. I've heard a few different things, but how do you guys treat your water for storage?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My city water has plenty of chemicals in it so I tend to not add any bleach to my water.

If using well water then I would probably run some searches to see how much bleach to add to an aquatainer, my aquatainers are 7 gallons I think but I don't currently have any water int hem since I am moving some stuff around.

I tend to experiment with my water containers when I get board and that causes me to rotate the water out while seeing how I do with draining water out for various uses like cooking water or flushing the toilet or whatever I am messing with at that time.

I keep an eye on my water and rotate it a lot right now.  Once I get some projects settled in and am happy with how they work I might add  a bit of bleach since the water will sit in the container more than a few months.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
1mL bleach per gallon
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never liked the bleach method, so I boil all my water before storage.  When boiling for long-term storage, you have to make sure to rinse the container with boiled water before filling it, and don't mix pots between boiled (clean) and unboiled (not clean).  It's kind of labor intensive, but it will kill anything living in the water, and so long as you fill your containers completely and seal them up, the water should keep almost indefinitely.  

I have a couple of sample bottles that I filled at the same time as my aquatainers, in August 2008.  I cracked one open the other day, after over a year of storage, and it tasted the same as when I put it in the pantry.  No "stale" taste or cloudiness or anything.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a Berkey and fill them with purified water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top