Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 10:22:08 PM EDT
Wanting to know if I've heard anything about a "civil war".  Said she's been hearing from people in her church, and different friends that things are getting ready to get really bad.

This is the same person who laughed when she saw all the food and other "stuff" I had stored at my house. She wanted to know why I had so much stuff stored up like that.

I tried to explain that these are basic items that everyone should keep in case of emergencies, and or for when things go south.

She just couldn't imagine why I had all that stuff stored at my house. (this was last christmas when she came to visit from colorado).

I think she just figured "it" out.

I wish she lived closer, as she is a wiz in the kitchen as far as canning/preserving food.

I want her to be armed, but both she and her husband are not much into guns. They don't hate them, just don't have in the house right now. They are coming down for thansgiving this month, I'll encourage them to purchase a firearm and get some training.

Gene
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
alot of rumblings.. isn't there..??

humm...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
at my sister's wedding there was a group of people talking about BOB's and BOLs. they asked me if i have ever heard of a BOB and BOLs before, i just smiled..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#3]
She might be feeling you out to see if you've gone crazy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Paranoia in group settings is highly contagious and should be treated as seriously as any other serious
illness as it too is counter-survival.

Caution, preparation and keeping ones senses tuned is prudent.  Speculation, rumoring, and panic
are dangerous and more likely to cause one to do things counter-survival.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
with our being the boy who cried wolf. Alot of people here are whispering the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
...I think there is a certain far out there fringe element that is getting some regular people scared that weren't befor... Obama being elected has been a field day with these types who are using him to predect all kinds of coming bad things many of which to me I think are just goofy

...I know this 60 year old woman who listens to some crazy talk radio shows and is convinced... and told me with a straight face... that the Muslims are ready to take controll of the USA because Obama is going to "give it to them" and things will become like it was under the Nazis only this time it will be Christians in concentration camps with a civil war between Christians and Muslims here in the USA....She talking like this is going to happen next year !......All this because she listens to some crackpots on the radio late at night who makes thier money by getting people scared and upset.
...Now she wants me to sell her some guns even though she has never shot one in her life, guess she never felt a need for one befor
She has a small farm  and makes a living growing and selling Herbs and chickens/ eggs. She tells me she wants a gun in case of varmints getting her livestock and for protection which I think is a good idea but I think her wanting one has to do more with the upcoming civil war in her mind . Kind of scary to me but I told her maybe I sell her a single shot shotgun or a .22 rifle after we go shoot some.

...I believe this is more of a case of irational "group panic" then being prepared or even being a survivlist, in my mind is like she said she wanted to prepare for the upcoming martian invasion. I believe in being prepared but I think this is different and to be honest is what gives survivlists a black eye........T.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...I think there is a certain far out there fringe element that is getting some regular people scared that weren't befor... Obama being elected has been a field day with these types who are using him to predect all kinds of coming bad things many of which to me I think are just goofy

...I know this 60 year old woman who listens to some crazy talk radio shows and is convinced... and told me with a straight face... that the Muslims are ready to take controll of the USA because Obama is going to "give it to them" and things will become like it was under the Nazis only this time it will be Christians in concentration camps with a civil war between Christians and Muslims here in the USA....She talking like this is going to happen next year !......All this because she listens to some crackpots on the radio late at night who makes thier money by getting people scared and upset.
...Now she wants me to sell her some guns even though she has never shot one in her life, guess she never felt a need for one befor
She has a small farm  and makes a living growing and selling Herbs and chickens/ eggs. She tells me she wants a gun in case of varmints getting her livestock and for protection which I think is a good idea but I think her wanting one has to do more with the upcoming civil war in her mind . Kind of scary to me but I told her maybe I sell her a single shot shotgun or a .22 rifle after we go shoot some.

...I believe this is more of a case of irational "group panic" then being prepared or even being a survivlist, in my mind is like she said she wanted to prepare for the upcoming martian invasion. I believe in being prepared but I think this is different and to be honest is what gives survivlists a black eye........T.

I think that sounds like a wonderful neighbor to have.  Maybe her thinking is a little bit overboard but, I dont see that hurting you or her in any way.  While on the other hand if she beleived that something like that could never happen, and it did.......

Take her shooting, get her a gun, and sign her up for a free NRA membership.  She may prove to be a good asset.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#8]
A few months back I was telling my mom about the 55gal barrels I had gotten and how you could store water for several years and she started asking questions. She finally asked, "Do you think it's really going to get that bad?" I told her I didn't know, but it was a possibility and this look came over her face. Kinda like I could see the gears starting to turn. I may not be able to convince my old man (who  recently gave me his preps for the year 2000, which consisted of one box of .40 S&W hollow points) but maybe I can get mom to start stashing some stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Paranoia can be useful.  Sometimes the line between paranoia and awarenss can be kind of thin.  And if something goes down then crazy theories turn out to be smart predictions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's the scoop:

The same people who are JUST NOW seeing a problem are the same people who will completely over react, and when nothing happens TOMORROW they will feel stupid and then be CONVINCED we are headed for a recovery, and to make themselves feel better, they will act like YOU are the crazy one.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I may not be able to convince my old man (who  recently gave me his preps for the year 2000, which consisted of one box of .40 S&W hollow points) but maybe I can get mom to start stashing some stuff.

Well, your Old Man might have had excellent preps in that single box of .40 Cal. hollowpoints. If everything goes pear-shaped and there is a collapse and civil unrest and the whole nine yards, some people will get through it right where they live without firing a shot. They will go get their medications, food and water from the back of a National Guard truck and they won't have to worry about a thing.

Other people will have dream caches of stuff, automatic weapons and enough ammunition to equip a small, African Nation and will be killed on the first day by someone who never attended a shooting school and had an "inferior mouse gun" or some such nonsense.

What was it the Joker said in the latest Batman movie? I think it went something like, "That's the thing about chaos, it's fair."
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's the scoop:

The same people who are JUST NOW seeing a problem are the same people who will completely over react, and when nothing happens TOMORROW they will feel stupid and then be CONVINCED we are headed for a recovery, and to make themselves feel better, they will act like YOU are the crazy one.  

well put
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may not be able to convince my old man (who  recently gave me his preps for the year 2000, which consisted of one box of .40 S&W hollow points) but maybe I can get mom to start stashing some stuff.

Well, your Old Man might have had excellent preps in that single box of .40 Cal. hollowpoints. If everything goes pear-shaped and there is a collapse and civil unrest and the whole nine yards, some people will get through it right where they live without firing a shot. They will go get their medications, food and water from the back of a National Guard truck and they won't have to worry about a thing.

Other people will have dream caches of stuff, automatic weapons and enough ammunition to equip a small, African Nation and will be killed on the first day by someone who never attended a shooting school and had an "inferior mouse gun" or some such nonsense.

What was it the Joker said in the latest Batman movie? I think it went something like, "That's the thing about chaos, it's fair."

While there WILL be riots and mobs in heavily populated areas. In rural areas there will be single shots heard from .300 mags , 7mm mags , 30-06 and .270win imho

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the scoop:

well put

+1
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I am not saying, "don't prepare." All I am saying is, for many people, what they imagine or pray for won't happen and for a lot of other people, their worst nightmares will come true no matter how much they prepared. That's the way the eggrolls.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to have a neighbor that raised eggs/etc at my primary location.  I would start working on that partnership as you indicated you just might.   Some eggs/chickens would go a long ways in a pinch.

I'm lucky in that my Dad is a big prepper...I think he got it from my Grandmother who survived WWII in a concentration camp.....she was lucky in that she was a seamstress and sewed Nazi uniforms...she was useful and was kept fed....I remember as a kid she always kept tons of canned food in the basement.....My dad does the same thing....he even dates the tops with a marker like she did.

He's a lifetime hunter and of course has some deer rifles and about two years ago I sold him an AR....our plan for a nasty SHTF is to make our way separately to our BOL, this has already been discussed.  LIke many posters on here I have plenty of ammo and am very capable due to my background....but I agree that I don't see there being massive amounts of gunfire and a civil war.....at the worst I would expect things to get bad and there to be looters, or a couple thugs trying to break into homes etc.....display of a firearms or use of that goes a longs way toward moving them along.   I almost anticipate ammo being a commodity for trade more so than actually using it.....other than hunting...warning shots or worst case a short exchange to defend your property not alot of ammo being fired.  

If it's that bad I'm gone and our BOL neighborhood is very tight and self sufficient.. ...I wouldn't expect to be shooting that much there other than taking game.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Take her shooting, get her a gun, and sign her up for a free NRA membership.  She may prove to be a good asset.

Buying my mother a Sig P228, a few cases of ammo, an NRA membership, and a voucher every Mother's Day for a Sig Academy class has been some of the best money I've ever spent.

May God have mercy on the poor SOB who thinks she's an easy target...because she won't. My mom is five foot nothing, almost 65 years old, and a doting grandmother who loves to knit. That said, when she puts down her knitting bag and puts on her earmuffs she transforms into a diminutive terminator-it's pretty awesome to watch.

All I have to do is keep her stocked in Winchester Rangers ("people bullets" as she calls them) and Hoppes #9 and she's happy as hell. It's the least I can do for the woman who put up with me for 17 years

When TSHTF I want my mom covering my back.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wanting to know if I've heard anything about a "civil war".  Said she's been hearing from people in her church, and different friends that things are getting ready to get really bad.

This is the same person who laughed when she saw all the food and other "stuff" I had stored at my house. She wanted to know why I had so much stuff stored up like that.

I tried to explain that these are basic items that everyone should keep in case of emergencies, and or for when things go south.

She just couldn't imagine why I had all that stuff stored at my house. (this was last christmas when she came to visit from colorado).

I think she just figured "it" out.

I wish she lived closer, as she is a wiz in the kitchen as far as canning/preserving food.

I want her to be armed, but both she and her husband are not much into guns. They don't hate them, just don't have in the house right now. They are coming down for thansgiving this month, I'll encourage them to purchase a firearm and get some training.

Gene

Quoted:
Redacted for brevity
Quoted:
Redacted for brevity

When your mother and her husband come for Thanksgiving, take 'em shooting, take 'em to a gun shop, maybe even give consideration to a Christmas gift of a firearm appropriate to their needs and skill level, along with some solid training in their home area.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah,
 You have to watch out for those little OLD ladies...
 I know one that is 63 that has brought back 4 gold medals from the National Long Range (800, 900 & 1000yds.- iron sights!) BPCR matches... She listens to that guy Rush on the radio a bit...so I think that she may be a bit wierd, but she spotted me into a win at our last match in Boise...  My best friend & wife of 40 years....
 To the OP.. there are MANY in my AO that think that it is coming soon... seemed to really crank up after the election..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah,
 You have to watch out for those little OLD ladies...
 I know one that is 63 that has brought back 4 gold medals from the National Long Range (800, 900 & 1000yds.- iron sights!) BPCR matches... She listens to that guy Rush on the radio a bit...so I think that she may be a bit wierd, but she spotted me into a win at our last match in Boise...  My best friend & wife of 40 years....
 To the OP.. there are MANY in my AO that think that it is coming soon... seemed to really crank up after the election..

Hell yeah!
I wanna be friends with her when SHTF!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other people will have dream caches of stuff, automatic weapons and enough ammunition to equip a small, African Nation and will be killed on the first day by someone who never attended a shooting school and had an "inferior mouse gun" or some such nonsense.[/span]

While there WILL be riots and mobs in heavily populated areas. In rural areas there will be single shots heard from .300 mags , 7mm mags , 30-06 and .270win imho

This is my biggest fear!!!  I can take care of myself and my family when comes to SHTF, but I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see.  Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them.  Self defense is an attitude and having a gun and not knowing how or when to use it will be a serious handicap for those trying to survive in a SHTF situation.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:...This is my biggest fear!!!  ...I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see.  Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them...

I think you worry too much about the wrong stuff.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Lots of people are talking more openly these days and I kind of figure some might over react to something as was mentioned in a post above.

To some extent I kind of figure some of these folks are like the candle burning at both ends, it creates more heat and light but dies pretty quickly.

I personally figure that while they might be buying a lot of stuff right now they might be selling a lot of stuff before too much longer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm 41 years old. I remember all of the FEMA Concentration Camp stuff, the portable guillotines and the cost of guns and ammunition rising. And rising...because of bans and threats of bans and of this, that and the other. It's worse now for various reasons, when the new President took office, the last guy didn't leave us in the best of condition so everything was out of wack to start with. He will have a harder time banning guns than Bill Clinton did, Clinton did not have to fight the Heller Decision. Healthcare is a bit different because the costs of all of it have risen so dramatically, primarily due to illegal aliens soaking up our hospitals, etc. But I don't think this is the end of the world. I do think it is the end of a high standard of living for the middle class in this country...what's left of it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:...This is my biggest fear!!!  ...I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see.  Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them...

good catch, puggle.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is my biggest fear!!!  I can take care of myself and my family when comes to SHTF, but I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see. Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them. Self defense is an attitude and having a gun and not knowing how or when to use it will be a serious handicap for those trying to survive in a SHTF situation.

that's essentially the argument of the gun grabbers.  

seriously, it's not likely people are going to randomly start shooting, at least not likely in the country.  if TSHTF, people will probably get shot if they're trespassing.   personally, i have no intention of entering somebody's property that i don't know or haven't received permission to enter, especially if there's a residence on the property.

i worry more about the people who have hardly ever shot their guns and them having a negligent discharge than i do somebody in a farmhouse who has likely hunted their whole life.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is my biggest fear!!!  I can take care of myself and my family when comes to SHTF, but I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see. Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them. Self defense is an attitude and having a gun and not knowing how or when to use it will be a serious handicap for those trying to survive in a SHTF situation.

seriously, it's not likely people are going to randomly start shooting, at least not likely in the country.  if TSHTF, people will probably get shot if they're trespassing.   personally, i have no intention of entering somebody's property that i don't know or haven't received permission to enter, especially if there's a residence on the property.

i worry more about the people who have hardly ever shot their guns and them having a negligent discharge than i do somebody in a farmhouse who has likely hunted their whole life.  

Well, I'm the farthest thing from a gun grabber that you've ever known.  I just know the squirrrels we have down here in Florida will start killing each other right and left over a ham sandwich or 5 gal. can of gasoline.  You ought to see them when there's a hurricane coming.  We only have two main roads out of here and they will be a big parking lot full of dead people in event of a SHTF situation.  That said, my escape plan is to stay off the main roads and try to make it out through middle of the state that is mostly in the Everglades.  Should we have to go to ground and start humping it, asking permission from every landowner to transit the property doesn't seem practicle.  I would hate to think that we would be shot at because we are peacefully walking across soemone's property.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'm the farthest thing from a gun grabber that you've ever known.  I just know the squirrrels we have down here in Florida will start killing each other right and left over a ham sandwich or 5 gal. can of gasoline.  You ought to see them when there's a hurricane coming.  We only have two main roads out of here and they will be a big parking lot full of dead people in event of a SHTF situation.  That said, my escape plan is to stay off the main roads and try to make it out through middle of the state that is mostly in the Everglades.  Should we have to go to ground and start humping it, asking permission from every landowner to transit the property doesn't seem practicle.  I would hate to think that we would be shot at because we are peacefully walking across soemone's property.

If you walk across my yard, you will be challenged.  If you raise your weapon you'll be shot.  But you'll have to go through plenty of yards before you get to the Bluegrass.  There aren't too many people with guns, there's too many people who own guns illegally who don't know safe gun handling and are usually idiots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or he's just projecting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I think alot of people are opening their eyes a bit..........starting to think that maybe just because its allways been this way doesnt mean it will allways be this way
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
When I start hearing about people being "challenged" or being shot...makes me just want to find a nice piece of woods somewhere and let everyone do whatever they want to do. I can understand "yard" as was posted...but some people will be dragging that out to "property" and property that isn't posted at that. Some of it won't even be their property at all, they will be looking for supplies, weapons and women, that's historical.

One should always be careful who one aims at. Sometimes things are not as they appear to be at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you walk across my yard, you will be challenged.  If you raise your weapon you'll be shot.  But you'll have to go through plenty of yards before you get to the Bluegrass.  There aren't too many people with guns, there's too many people who own guns illegally who don't know safe gun handling and are usually idiots.

Ya' see there Field MP that's exactly what I was talking about.  You and I probably have more in common than not.  I had 20+ years in the Army including two tours in Vietnam.  We would end up in a gunfight and someone would probably get killed because you felt the need to challenge someone for walking on your property.  WTF???  Why so trigger happy???  In a true SHTF situation people are going to have to have a way to get to their family and loved ones without everyone else trying to kill them for silliness.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya' see there Field MP that's exactly what I was talking about.  You and I probably have more in common than not.  I had 20+ years in the Army including two tours in Vietnam.  We would end up in a gunfight and someone would probably get killed because you felt the need to challenge someone for walking on your property.  WTF???  Why so trigger happy???  In a true SHTF situation people are going to have to have a way to get to their family and loved ones without everyone else trying to kill them for silliness.

For all I know you would be on your way to rape, pillage and burn.  By challenge, I would watch you and if you walked towards my house I would then call for you to stop and inform you that you were on private property and should continue on your way.  I wouldn't fire on you if you were 100 yards out and just cutting through the back 40.  I don't think that's trigger happy whatsoever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#34]

This is my biggest fear!!!  I can take care of myself and my family when comes to SHTF, but I worry about being shot in the back from 200 yards by some nutcase sitting up in some farmhouse with a .30-06 who has decided in fear to kill every living being they see.  Let's face it there are just way TOO MANY people with guns that shoudn't have them.  Self defense is an attitude and having a gun and not knowing how or when to use it will be a serious handicap for those trying to survive in a SHTF situation.

[/quote]

WOW
And who exactly do we need to endow with the privledge of deciding who is fit and who is not?

I beieve that right is givin to me by my maker. Thankfuly, some truely wise men decided to put that on paper about 235 years ago.  They did this so people who think like you couldnt disarm the average man, or anyone else some decides shouldnt be armed.
UNREAL.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Reminds me of something my Father used to tell me growing up.

"there you are broadcasting when you should be recieving"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For all I know you would be on your way to rape, pillage and burn.  By challenge, I would watch you and if you walked towards my house I would then call for you to stop and inform you that you were on private property and should continue on your way.  I wouldn't fire on you if you were 100 yards out and just cutting through the back 40.  I don't think that's trigger happy whatsoever.

That seems much more reasonable.  My whole point was that during a true SHTF scenerio many people would be simply moving through trying to get to where they're going.  Only a few will be doing the raping pilaging and burning.  They will be weeded out quick enough.  Firing on someone without cause is never justified by anyone.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Now that I have successfully contributed to my first hijacking of a post I can reply to the OP.  My mom is coming along.  She keeps hinting that she wants to learn how to shoot, I need to get on that before she loses interest.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other people will have dream caches of stuff, automatic weapons and enough ammunition to equip a small, African Nation and will be killed on the first day by someone who never attended a shooting school and had an "inferior mouse gun" or some such nonsense.[/span]

If you have never read Lt. Col Dave Grossman's On Combat, or On Killing, they are great reads.  They are about the psychology and physiology of killing and combat.  Basically, most people will wait far too long to pull the trigger.  We are conditioned from the time we are born not to kill.  It takes a lot of training to reverse that.  All these people who shouldn't have guns talk a lot, but have probably never thought about what it actually takes to kill a human being.  My guess is they'll take a bullet before giving one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to DU you freaking troll.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go back to DU you freaking troll.

What is DU? Maybe it's Dartmouth University, home of the Fighting Trolls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Dingeman,
 That is pretty accurate... One of the hardest things to do in VN was to get the new guys that had never been in a firefight to TAKE A SHOT!  Hesitating got a lot of them killed..  I can attest that I am only alive today because I got shots off faster or more accurately than the NVA did.
 Snake driver has a valid concern in that there are some out there, (like me) that at some point will decide that you are a THREAT & eliminate it.
That said, if I had to traverse someones property, I would be very sure to communicate clearly that I was NOT a threat to them & negotiate the terms to do that transit to where they are comfortable with it.
 What I suspect that you will encounter are many roadblocks of local citizens/communities trying to protect theirselves & property that will let you through if you convince them that your intentions are peaceful.  If you are grouped up with  signs of strength, that may be harder to accomplish..
 I think that the odds of that type of SHTF are pretty low (but no where near zero!)- we will most likely all just be poorer, with a much lower standard of living..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How many hurricanes have hit Florida in your lifetime? I'd call that a minor SHTF by most definitions used here. How many parking lots of dead people have you come across thus far (or even heard about) in that amount of time?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dingeman,
 That is pretty accurate... One of the hardest things to do in VN was to get the new guys that had never been in a firefight to TAKE A SHOT!  Hesitating got a lot of them killed..  I can attest that I am only alive today because I got shots off faster or more accurately than the NVA did.
 Snake driver has a valid concern in that there are some out there, (like me) that at some point will decide that you are a THREAT & eliminate it.
That said, if I had to traverse someones property, I would be very sure to communicate clearly that I was NOT a threat to them & negotiate the terms to do that transit to where they are comfortable with it.
 What I suspect that you will encounter are many roadblocks of local citizens/communities trying to protect theirselves & property that will let you through if you convince them that your intentions are peaceful.  If you are grouped up with  signs of strength, that may be harder to accomplish..
 I think that the odds of that type of SHTF are pretty low (but no where near zero!)- we will most likely all just be poorer, with a much lower standard of living..

You've got a good square head on your shoulders and talk good sense.  I was 1st Cav. in RVN too, Blue Max.  Good to know you!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many hurricanes have hit Florida in your lifetime? I'd call that a minor SHTF by most definitions used here. How many parking lots of dead people have you come across thus far (or even heard about) in that amount of time?

????????????? We have hurricanes here all the time!  We got hit by Charlie and Wilma just a couple of years ago and Ivan and Katrina passed by just off shore too.  The two lane Interstates we have were jammed up and you couldn't go anywhere.  Most people just went back home after sitting in their cars stopped for hours.  If there is a hurricane anywhere in the Caribbean the people rush to the store and strip the the shelves bare.  As you say, a hurricane barely counts as a SHTF yet most people go to pieces given even that minor type of emergency.  In a real SHTF situation, the roads will be jammed up and useless.  Fights, shootings and mob rule can be expected once the frustration takes its toll.  It seems given the circumstances everyone may a well just stay home and bug-in.

P.S.: I love the friendly nature of people in the Survival Forum.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha hurricanes not hitting Florida. You're confusing SHTF with TEOTWAWKI.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems much more reasonable.  My whole point was that during a true SHTF scenerio many people would be simply moving through trying to get to where they're going.  Only a few will be doing the raping pilaging and burning.  They will be weeded out quick enough.  Firing on someone without cause is never justified by anyone.

You won't find any reasonable people here that feel they can shoot someone just because they were trespassing. A few morons from time to time.

If you are trespassing on my property, and I address you and tell you to move on. You had better not raise your rifle or move in any unnerving way, you will die before your rifle reaches level. There would not be a fire fight. The person yelling from cover would not be the person you had to worry about. You would be massively over matched and probably never even see the person who drops you.

You do as your told, there will still be no fire fight. You live. That was the point being made.

No normal, sane person would just fire on someone unless you do something that makes them feel its necessary.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dingeman,

this is pretty much my thinking as well.  if i see somebody crossing my property, i'll be paying close attention to their body language and actions.  are they moving straight across the property or are they angling towards the house?  is their rifle slung on their back, at a low ready or raised to the shoulder and pointed towards the house?  is it apparent that they're trying to quickly move through or scope out the house and metal building?    

i wouldn't start picking off trespassers just b/c TSHTF and i don't think 99% of the people out their would either.  but i wouldn't, however, have a problem doing so if a person showed aggressive intentions towards my house or family.

people like the OP are not going to get shot by the 1% out there that are nuts b/c they'll be concerned and watching for them.  they won't linger on somebody's property admiring the livestock, but instead move as quickly as possible.  

if it were me humping it to my BOL, and i see a house, i'm going to move away from it as fast as i can w/o making any threatening gestures.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good lessons can be learned from reading "Lights Out"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

that's gross.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's gross.

You're thinking "feeling you UP" which would be gross.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top