Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2009 6:52:32 PM EDT
I just bought my M1951 Wool Field Shirt The 5th of this month when I had received the shirt it looked new not 50 years old new but 2009 new had no funky smell to it at all I wore it straight out of the package the first day! That night I washed it with a cup of vinegar hung it up to dry! Then for the next few days until last Sunday wore it just about everyday keep me warm (To warm at times) and dry. The size on this is a lot like BDU sizes I got a large and I was able to wear an undershirt and button up the M1951 Wool Field Shirt with no problem. Last Sunday took it out for a field test camping for my daughters birthday the temp around me has been dropping down to 30 degs at night and high of 50 degs during the day perfect to test this Wool shirt out

Sunday morning 32 degs out packing the truck up I had on the wool shirt was not cold at all in fact had to take it off cause I was getting a little to warm with it on. Got to the camp site it was up to 35 degs and started setting up the tent. At that time I saw my wife shivering so I took off the wool shirt and gave it to her. I never got it back after that she hiked and sleep with that wool shirt on the whole time. She did not take it off until we got back home and I said I wanted to wash the cloths. At that time I told her I was going to order 2 more shirts cause I liked them so much. She said order three cause your not getting the one you have back from me!

Now this is big to me cause my wife hates wool!! I have bought her a few wool items and she will never wear them does not matter how cold she gets she told me she much rather deal with the cold the deal with how much the wool scratches at her. She is very sensitive to wool. The Merlot wool socks where the only thing she has liked that has been wool. I have gotten to wear the shirt since then and it looks great! I have had a lot of people as me where I got my shirt from! This is a nice soft but very warm shirt as I said I'm buying three more of them tonight .
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones I was issued at Ft. Knox and in West Germany in the early 80s were among my favorite pieces of equipment in the winter.  The old brown button-up sweaters were pretty good, too.  A good wool short rocks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Great shirts.  I wore mine in the Army (back in the 70's) and gave them to my dad when I got out of the Army.  He wore them for years.  If I was to run across some now I'd buy some more of them.

We washed them in the washer (cold water) and hung them up to dry.  Never any problems with them doing that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The ones I was issued at Ft. Knox and in West Germany in the early 80s were among my favorite pieces of equipment in the winter.  The old brown button-up sweaters were pretty good, too.  A good wool short rocks!

i love my brown sweater. i wish i had more. i cant wait til it gets cold again.

also to the OP where did you get your shirts?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 one where you got them. I might have to pick one (or three :p) up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My favorite thing for warmth was always a field jacket liner under the BDU shirt, but those old wool shirts definitely were great. A year or 2 ago the Civil Aviation Patrol based on the airport where I work was throwing out a bunch of stuff. "Hey," says I. "Whatcha getting rid of?" I scored 3 fishtail parkas w/liners & hoods, a couple wool shirts, and a poncho liner. The parkas & shirts were all too small (it's mostly cadets here) but I gave them to a friend for herself and her kids. Very good quality shirts, almost as soft as polypro.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the shirts from here!
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one wool sweater I was issued and do not want to have to turn it in when I ETS.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks, i googled it and it was one of the first sites to come up. any experience with the wool pants?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thanks, i googled it and it was one of the first sites to come up. any experience with the wool pants?

I have not tried the pants but I have heard they are not as good as the shirt. Told the Swiss wool pants where the best.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not tried the pants but I have heard they are not as good as the shirt. Told the Swiss wool pants where the best.

i see. i think i'll buy a pair. its only 16 bucks.

also... your avatar is amazing.

ETA:
purchased a pair of pants and a shirt....and a grip of army technical manuals.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#11]
yep those shirts rock. I wore them a lot during the winter in Maine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys should get a commission.

Just ordered 2 shirts, arctic pants and an Army Field Survival Manual.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys should get a commission.

Just ordered 2 shirts, arctic pants and an Army Field Survival Manual.

They have the Nam trip wire also! I was thinking it would make a great survival snare!
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got my three other shirts again all where great! Washed them and they where soft as fleece! I might buy three more to give as gifts to my Father and brothers!
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
they are offered here for $2 but do not know condition.....
scroll down

www.armytents.com
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just got my three other shirts again all where great! Washed them and they where soft as fleece! I might buy three more to give as gifts to my Father and brothers!

As far as sizes go, I am 6'2" and 215 pounds. I wear large long BDUs, will a large fit me in this shirt? According to the web site it sounds like it should. To those who have the shirts, what do you think?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as sizes go, I am 6'2" and 215 pounds. I wear large long BDUs, will a large fit me in this shirt? According to the web site it sounds like it should. To those who have the shirts, what do you think?

Thanks

Mine came in mail yesterday.

These shirts are 80% wool and 20% nylon. Were they using nylon in the 50's?

They look more like reproductions to me.

I'm 6'1, 210lbs, and the shirt fits me ok.

Gene

ETA: just went back and looked at their website, it does say "NEW", but noes not give the make up content. I posted a "review" and mentioned that the shirts were only 80% wool.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Should I wear a Large I can wear this shirt with another one under it with not problem and still button it up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I just received my shirts and they are great. Mine are the 80%wool and 20% Nylon. They are still great, made well, feels thick, good material. Got mine  at Army Surplus Warehouse for 15.99. Good call OP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just received my shirts and they are great. Mine are the 80%wool and 20% Nylon. They are still great, made well, feels thick, good material. Got mine  at Army Surplus Warehouse for 15.99. Good call OP!!!!!!

Can't tell the 20% nylon only around the neck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm wearing mine right now. A little cool tonight here in Fort Worth.

So far so good.

Gene
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 3:31:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Just picked up three more for gifts. I have been looking for something along these lines for a while.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#23]
my medium size does not fit like a med bdu top. its a bit small
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
my medium size does not fit like a med bdu top. its a bit small

You might need a large then! Not the shirt size but it might just be you? I wear a XL shirt most of the time and the LG wool shirt fit me! With space to add an undershirt with it without problems! I could be wrong!?

As I know sizes might be different from small to medium to large! I called it as I saw it! If anyone else back up or tell about how well there MED fits please tell! It might be the LG are larger then they should be!

No flame just want to get down to this!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I did notice that in the description of the size on the website it says chest is 41-43. On the tag of my large shirts it says chest 41-45. These still fit me perfectly, I washed one last night with my other laundry. Dried it in the drier for about ten minutes and then let it sit overnight to finish drying. Came out very soft and comfortable. This shirt has very quickly become my favorite. It is 38 degrees here this morning and I threw the shirt on with a undershirt to take the dog for a walk, stayed nice and toasty. Not sure about the mediums.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

and so I ordered..

everything was too small.

I ordered the largest shirts they had listed and they are too short on the sleeves!

I ordered the largest acu parka and trousers and they are too short on the sleeves and inseam too!

At least the frickin wool stocking cap fits

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and so I ordered..

everything was too small.

I ordered the largest shirts they had listed and they are too short on the sleeves!

I ordered the largest acu parka and trousers and they are too short on the sleeves and inseam too!

At least the frickin wool stocking cap fits

Think you might need the Larger Tall?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been wearing mine almost daily for the past week and a half (I work at night), and it's been a pretty warm shirt.

So far, I'm happy with it.

Gene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top