Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2009 11:14:58 AM EDT
Just tested positive for influenza A. Probably H1N1. Started to feel congested in my chest Friday, body aches and fever Satruday, Cough and fever Sunday night. Went to the doc this morning for cough med, so I could sleep. Its not really that bad, kind of like bronchitis. Its funny, GD had a thread about getting the vaccine that I was involved in. I would not have taken the vaccine, now I dont have to worry about it.

Meh.... Nothing a little ibuprofen and fluids wont fix.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
removed
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Its really not bad at all. Been blown way out.......................Dont drink the cool aid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
removed
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Our 19 month old just got over the flu. It was pretty bad but not as bad as people think it is. He was, however, allergic to the Tamiflu and couldn't take it. It also tastes like crap.
Hope you feel better soon. It's a slow processes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
In the unlikely event of your demise, may I please have your weapons, ammo, optics, accessories and weminzs under 30?

Keep us posted.  This is of great interest to us all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just tested positive for influenza A. Probably H1N1. Started to feel congested in my chest Friday, body aches and fever Satruday, Cough and fever Sunday night. Went to the doc this morning for cough med, so I could sleep. Its not really that bad, kind of like bronchitis. Its funny, GD had a thread about getting the vaccine that I was involved in. I would not have taken the vaccine, now I dont have to worry about it.

Why not...it isn't the chicken pox...having it once doesn't make you immune. Guy here at work has had it three times in two months.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not...it isn't the chicken pox...having it once doesn't make you immune. Guy here at work has had it three times in two months.

if it is H1N1 then yes he will be immune. what do you think the flu shot does? the reason people get sick multiple times is they come into contact with a different strain OR they never really got rid of it in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if it is H1N1 then yes he will be immune. what do you think the flu shot does? the reason people get sick multiple times is they come into contact with a different strain OR they never really got rid of it in the first place.

I stand corrected. You are right. Novel H1N1 is viral, therefore once you get the Novel H1N1 strain, you cannot get it again. Other strains yes, Novel H1N1, if that is the strain he had (Alabama quit testing,) no.

I misread CDC info the other day on Swine Flu parties...and was confused.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not going to take the Relinza that was prescribed. I talked to the pharmacyst and told him I started symptoms friday and the Relinza was to be started in first 48 hours to work. He had to look it up . I will drag myself across the floor tonight and update my progress in a feverous hypoxic delirium.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected. You are right. Novel H1N1 is viral, therefore once you get the Novel H1N1 strain, you cannot get it again. Other strains yes, Novel H1N1, if that is the strain he had (Alabama quit testing,) no.

I misread CDC info the other day on Swine Flu parties...and was confused.

all flu's are viral. the problem with the "flu" is there are different strains and the CDC "guesses" which strain will cause a problem every year. so with that guess they only provide one form of vaccine . but usually the strain in the NE is different from the west or even midwest. bottom line is, its only a guess on what strain of vaccine to put out there.

personally, i have never, and will never have a flu shot. my kids got one the first year they were born and i have NEVER been as sick as i was that year. NEVER AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you know who infected you?

How prevalent is the flu in your area?

Was your nurse hot?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

personally, i have never, and will never have a flu shot. my kids got one the first year they were born and i have NEVER been as sick as i was that year. NEVER AGAIN.

Did you get sick when your wife was pregnant to?  

Sorry, couldnt resist!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was your nurse hot?

kids got sick 2/3 days later. they hadnt been anywhere but the DR's office and home in that time. year before that my mother got the flu shot and same thing, 2/3 days later she was sick. there are others i know that had the same thing happen. nurse was about a 4/10. some of the best lookin ones work at the nursing homes here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, couldnt resist!  

nope. i did eat more though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, couldnt resist!  

nope. i did eat more though.

good point.... i ate more ice cream to!
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absofuckinglutely nothing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Let me be the first to say.............

DIBS!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the shot every year cause its free and I have done very well at not getting the flu and I work in a fairly high risk job.  It seems to work for me!  I agree its a crap shoot to see if they picked the right flu....  but sometimes  a good guess is better than no guess.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, yeah but giving you an immunity to said flu is what its suppose to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
My 14 year old son had H1N1 last week (tested positive for it). It was no worse than the regular flu and he was over it in 3-4- days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Was your nurse hot?

a) I work in an ER and exposed to it every day for last 2-3 weeks
b) See above
c)  I am a registered nurse
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Hope you feel better.  I had the flu for 5 days last week.  I was feeling well enough today to go to the gym for the first time since being sick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hope you feel better. I had the flu for 5 days last week. I was feeling well enough today to go to the gym for the first time since being sick.

Just take it real easy. YOur system is already stressed and making it work overtime rebuilding tissue damage from lifting weights combined with your immune system fighting the remnants of the flu could cause a relapse.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#24]
some people are just lucky - i got sick may 9 - 2009 - went to emer room could not breathe - finally aug 15 my breathing returned to normal - finally got around to asking emer room doctor 2 mos later what i had - swine flu is response i got back - blood test to cdc showed i had a virulent strain - so i am just saying some people are lucky - but i was not and i feel sorry for anyone who contracts the strain i had - it was not a picnic as some people have described it - good luck
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, update. Have had a bad cough with, fever and very sore throat for 2 days. No energy. I went out and forced myself to walk 2 miles in the sun yesterday, made me cough up alot of junk. Taking motrin and tylenol on schedule. I have had pneumonia twice in the past, so had the doc give me a Rx for Augmentin on monday. Overall I have been pretty sick, but not deadly. I could see if you had a lung problem like asthma, COPD, emphysema etc.... It could make you very sick with the amount of lung congestion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm just getting over the flu, didn't have it tested, don't know which strain.  Had a temp, mild aches and lack of energy for a few days, no worse than usual flu, but it hit my lungs harder than normal, coughed up some nasty stuff.  Took about two weeks to completely shake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm just wrapping up the flu too...mine seems worse than those here have reported - fever, constant nausea and muscle aches, congestion in the head, pressure on the chest at night, vomitting and diarea at first...really wiped me out....the other symptom that my doc told me was part of it was the rollercoaster effect....which I experienced first hand..started feeling better tuesday, then tuesday eve crashed and was in worse condition than before. I started noticing symptoms saturday evening and as I type it is Thursday morning.

starting to come out of it - very dehydrated and "washed" out.

besides tylenol for fever control, the best you can do is stay in and drink lots of fluids - water and electrolyte based...the BRAT diet is good when you are starting to come out of it (Bannanas Rice Applesauce Toast).

My wife works in an elementary school and brought it home. I work a lot with bacteria so I am obsessed with handwashing and disinfecting things...I take a good selection of vitamins and since the Swine flu started ramping up have been taking 3000 iu's each day of Vitamin D...and it got me!

good luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm just wrapping up the flu too...mine seems worse than those here have reported - fever, constant nausea and muscle aches, congestion in the head, pressure on the chest at night, vomitting and diarea at first...really wiped me out....the other symptom that my doc told me was part of it was the rollercoaster effect....which I experienced first hand..started feeling better tuesday, then tuesday eve crashed and was in worse condition than before. I started noticing symptoms saturday evening and as I type it is Thursday morning.

besides tylenol for fever control, the best you can do is stay in and drink lots of fluids - water and electrolyte based...the BRAT diet is good when you are starting to come out of it (Bannanas Rice Applesauce Toast).

My wife works in an elementary school and brought it home. I work a lot with bacteria so I am obsessed with handwashing and disinfecting things...I take a good selection of vitamins and since the Swine flu started ramping up have been taking 3000 iu's each day of Vitamin D...and it got me!

good luck!

M-O-O-N that spells moon. Really. I do feel that if you are not vigilant with self care, you could end up in a big mess. I took zyrtec otc also, and a big dose of steroid on day 4 to help with chest congestion. I helps alot, that I am an experienced nurse. I do feel very wiped out today.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

good luck!

The latest findings indicate at least 5,000 IU's a day to build up the immunity needed.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Day 2.5 here - Felt fine when I woke up Tuesday morning.  By noon I had a raging headache, then the chills.  Felt really shaky and uneasy by 3pm.  Last 2 days have been bouncing fever, everywhere from normal to 100.3, coughing, sore throat, and a general feeling of malaise.  I'm VERY tired, but can't seem to sleep comfortably for more than a few hours without waking up for some reason or another.

I'm not sure which is worse - the overall feeling of being too tired to do anything, or the alternating hot/clammy and cold/clammy that comes from the fever bounces.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Day 2.5 here - Felt fine when I woke up Tuesday morning.  By noon I had a raging headache, then the chills.  Felt really shaky and uneasy by 3pm.  Last 2 days have been bouncing fever, everywhere from normal to 100.3, coughing, sore throat, and a general feeling of malaise.  I'm VERY tired, but can't seem to sleep comfortably for more than a few hours without waking up for some reason or another.

I'm not sure which is worse - the overall feeling of being too tired to do anything, or the alternating hot/clammy and cold/clammy that comes from the fever bounces.

The whole unable to sleep thing wore me out, woke up about every 45min. Take care, hope you end up ok.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top