Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:47:04 AM EDT
Is there something that water can be stored in for more than 6months to a year?  Also is there a area of the house were it will last longer. I have a few gallons of water in the basement and I am trying to stock up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't want to go with anything radical like a 50 gallon tank due to lack of storage space.  I bought one of those 15 gallon blue barrels from one of the survival outpost venders online.  It sits in my laundry room relatively unnoticed, and I plan to rotate the water annually.

I also keep some cased drinking water, another 5 gallon water cooler style bottle and some 2 gallon water jugs filled.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If you buy about 5 or 6 of the blue Rubbermaid 6 gal. jugs, you can have them filled and sitting next to the washing machine. Everytime you wash a load of laundry, dump a jug into the washer, refill the jug, and put it at the end of the line. The water is always fresh and there is no waste. You'll always have around 30 gals. of emergency drinking water.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you buy about 5 or 6 of the blue Rubbermaid 6 gal. jugs, you can have them filled and sitting next to the washing machine. Everytime you wash a load of laundry, dump a jug into the washer, refill the jug, and put it at the end of the line. The water is always fresh and there is no waste. You'll always have around 30 gals. of emergency drinking water.

+1 This is what I do.

I've got five 6 gallon jugs for drinking, plus two 5 gallon jugs for sanitary washing, and two 15 gallon barrels for drinking, plus a bladder to either put in the tub or empty the hot water tank.  That is along with 6 cases of bottled water and several gallons in the fridge as well.  I either water my vegetables or use the water for laundry when being rotated.

If stored properly, water should last indefinitely.  But it is just prudent to empty it on an annual basis.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/emergency/water.html
http://www.uintacounty.com/index.aspx?NID=135
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I use THESE

They are rugged as hell, stackable, and very reasonable

They are nothing at all like the Wal-Mart variety of plastic water jugs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Those are nice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I heard that the water starts to taste like plastic after some time. I dont mind I was in the military, I just want it to be safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone store water in their attic?

In my region (East TX) there are no basements (high water table), which seriously limits storage space. If kept in an Aquatainer or similar container, will the heat of the attic have any adverse affects? Chemical leaching? Container degredation?

Any idea how much weight can be put on typical rafters? I don't want to put too much stress on them. I wouldn't use any containers larger than the Aquatainers. How much space between the containers?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought 100 gallons worth of These.  Mylar bags in stackable cardboard boxes.  Easy to manage the weight and move them around if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I didn't want to go with anything radical like a 50 gallon tank due to lack of storage space.

I also keep some cased drinking water, another 5 gallon water cooler style bottle and some 2 gallon water jugs filled.

How long are prefilled water cooler bottles good for, assuming bought and stored?

Anything I have to do, besides keeping cool/clean/dry?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Is there something that water can be stored in for more than 6months to a year?  Also is there a area of the house were it will last longer. I have a few gallons of water in the basement and I am trying to stock up.

See:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=627218

And:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=625168

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=626175

I will be using 4 of the 15-gal drums plus 6 of the 5-gal Scepter style cans.  On top of this we rotate two cases of 16-oz water bottles (kids use them for sports).  We have other containers too but the drum and jerry cans are what we store for long term and I plan to refill them once a year.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]

When considering storing water most people have 40 gallons stored that they seldom think about.  I am talking about your Hot Water Heater.  With proper planning and a little yearly maintenance you will have a tank full of drinkable water in case of emergencies.

Proper planning:  Just a soon at the emergency hits and the water system shuts down, isolate the hot water heater from the incoming system.  (Remember, when the public systems shut down - once they come back on line the water may be contaminated or muddy.)

Yearly maintenance:  Annually you should drain the sludge that settles in the bottom of your tank.  This is a good idea to do anyway since it will make the tank last longer.

For you "preppers" who are on a well system or some other system - don't rip my lips off just remember most of us are on some sort of public system.

As far as Water Storage Life is concerned - with proper preparation, water can be stored for up to five years and will remain bacteriologically safe for drinking.  There are companies who have the supplies necessary.  The company I used is

7C's Safety & Environmental

They have storage materials and a Water Preserver Concentrate which is what I used.

Hope this helps some.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#12]

kaos wrote:

How long are prefilled water cooler bottles good for, assuming bought and stored?

Plain water, not prepared for long term storage, will last 6 months to a year.  Storage methods such as "water cooler bottles" or similar bottled water should be rotated regularly.  When you start prepping, take your typical monthly usage and purchase two months worth.  Keep repeating this process until you have 6 months or so stored.  Then use the FIFO system and as you do your monthly consumption, replace that month's worth used.  In this manner you will have a 6 month supply in queue when the emergency hits.  Also, the costs have been spread over a longer period of time.  Then you start over once the emergency has passed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

kaos wrote:

Plain water, not prepared for long term storage, will last 6 months to a year.  Storage methods such as "water cooler bottles" or similar bottled water should be rotated regularly.  When you start prepping, take your typical monthly usage and purchase two months worth.  Keep repeating this process until you have 6 months or so stored.  Then use the FIFO system and as you do your monthly consumption, replace that month's worth used.  In this manner you will have a 6 month supply in queue when the emergency hits.  Also, the costs have been spread over a longer period of time.  Then you start over once the emergency has passed.

Thank you, sir.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top