Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2009 11:50:00 PM EDT
Driving home tonight after my shift, I found a 3AA LED minimaglite at the entrance to my street. It had a little road rash, but still worked fine. I love being a scavenger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Riding a motorcycle everyday leads to finding all kinds of stuff on the outside of turns and in intersections.
You pay closer attention to the road surface and everything is more accessable too...
Tools, money, knives...
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I brake for Road Gold.  (wheel weights)

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 3:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never bought a chain in my life.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 3:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
No beer, and I had to get new hinges.
It has been a good Ice chest.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife won't let me stop to get anything off the side of the road.

"Oh, hey honey, I thnk I need to check the tires -car feels funny... Oh, Hey! Look! ...someone left some pliers!!!"  

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Ice chest
Igloo water cooler (the yellow and red round ones) x2
Crow bar
machete
chain
tow strap
several bungee cords
a couple of tarps
an incomplete set of Stanley skinning knives
a life jacket
rope

I'll pick up anything I can use
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Glock 17 with 5 rounds left in the mag. I turned it over to the sheriff though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Found an original leatherman in front of the parents house many years ago... I have been using it religiously until recently when a friend gave me a new one.

(edited for grammer)
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Oh, hey honey, I thnk I need to check the tires -car feels funny... Oh, Hey! Look! ...someone left some pliers!!!"  

Ice chest incident
her"noooooooooooooooo"
me

later I learned it was an $80 ice chest
me
her

Cresent wrench incident
her "what'eryoudoin'?"
me "free tool"
her "don't get run over."
me "I won't."
back with tool
her holding the wrench for examining "it is not a Snap On"
me"drop forged in Japan"

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I once found a Smith & Wesson 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Eventually gave it to a relative.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Why is it that all the good stuff is always on the interstate, or a 4-lane highway with heavy traffic and very little shoulder room? I'm just not going to stop on a busy highway for things like that, its just not worth the risk IMHO.

The things I have found on safer roads:

Ratchet straps
a nice heavy clevis
chain
3 d-cell maglite
$20 bill
$10 & $5 bill wadded up together
$1
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Box of leather gloves, polarized Oakleys in new  condition, large craftsman socket wrench, and lots of goats.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: and lots of goats.

You pick up goats along the road?

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mostly I just find road kill and bottles full of a foul tasting yellow liquid.

I did find most of a Snap-On crescent wrench set along a road. I found one wrench and stopped to pick it up ... and then about a 100 yards later another ... and then another. I turned around and went back the other way to make the trip a second time with my eyes scanning and picked up some more. IIRC I ended up with like 9 wrenches and only missed a a couple of sizes in the middle.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/AR-15_Paul/DarkerFilmStrip.jpg

Do not drink the yellow liquid or eat the yellow snow.

I once found a fancy ratcheting screw driver, like 30 years ago so it was an expensive tool.

Otherwise about all I ever see is road kill, pampers, used condoms, trucker bombs, road gators, hubcaps, beer bottles and other assorted trash.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted: and lots of goats.

You pick up goats along the road?

This architect that lives nearby isn't very good at building fences. I'm always dodging his goats.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I once found a Smith & Wesson 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Eventually gave it to a relative.

I really thought about keeping it but I couldn't get past why it would have been tossed out on the highway... With one in the chamber. To use a word I'm not too familiar with hinky (sp) comes to mind.
Besides, I'm not a Glock fan anyway..

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I found a freshly killed red fox with a beautiful pelt!
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#22]
a couple days ago I found a nice almost new pair of stanley tin snips, had a few scratches from being run over but still go to go.
I never use tin snips but you would be mistaken to think I don't have a pair

I always pullover, turn around if anything looks worth it
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's because teenage hitchikers in tube tops and cutoffs don't count.

Quoted:

I'd be tempted to turn in a frame and barrel... that's it. Then call CCF.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Occasional wrench, jumper cables, binder chains from the big trucks. During the summer the main highway going to the river is always good for life jackets, and the occasional cooler. Later in the year I'll find the occasional decoy or other piece of hunting equipment blown out of a boat, or ATV trailer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#25]

An original Leatherman with the case

A very old Buck knife

A $100 bill

Assorted hand tools

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I found an Aqualung "3 bottle diving system, developed by Jauc Custoe" Spelling? It was out with the garbage and stowed in a big foam case that I thought might be a good float for the lake when I spotted it. I sold it on E-bay for $600.00. There was no question it was out for the garbage at 2:AM.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Found $6, then $5, a driver's license for a girl that worked at Hooters (took it to her, she had her outfit on and I recognized her as the only black girl that worked there), a brand new rain barrel, some tire cables, a gift card with $16 on it for a local store, an Agner wallet with credit cards etc that was stolen in the early 90s (took it to her husband), a cash register tray (no money left), a birth certificate and a TN drug prescription card in the same name from someone from Texas, etc, etc.

EDIT: I found 4 dead dogs once, and a then a 10 KT men's gold bracelet in my front yard.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
All kinds of tools

A completre tool bag full of tools

A sony handheld video game thing it worked fins ( cionfiscated by my daughter)

143.00 in cash at one time just blowing down the road.

A brand new full rol of stamps

2 boxes of 12 gauge dove loads

A marine Captain garrison cap ( cunt cap)

a;;kinds of other junk. I allways stop
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Do hookers count?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I work in the road all the time due to my job. If you are at the first big bump from a car dealer start looking as there will be tools on the road that the dealership guys lost. Good stuff too, MAC or Snapon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I work in the road all the time due to my job. If you are at the first big bump from a car dealer start looking as there will be tools on the road that the dealership guys lost. Good stuff too, MAC or Snapon.

That's a good tip there. When I bought one of my trucks, the deal was that they would fix the oil leak under the turbo. A yr later I took it back for some more service. When I picked it up I found a mini air impact wrench under the hood, but it didn't belong to the current mechanic. The old mechanic left it one yr earlier, and he had quit the dealership. It could've fallen out at any time, like at one of those bumps.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do hookers count?

We only count the dead ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad found an 8-foot Fiberglass stepladder in the middle of the road.  He stopped, dragged it over to the side and waited for a while.  Nobody came back so he threw it in his truck and brought it home.  Another time, he saw a contractor sized poly wheelbarrow.  Did the same thing, dragged it over to the side, waited for a while.  Nobody showed up so he took it home.  

As for me, I've only found a stubby slot crewdriver.  I did see an aluminum extension ladder on the interstate the other day but the traffic was wayyyyyy too heavy and it looked like it had already been bent or partially run over so I didn't try to get it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Forgot to mention, I found a half-dressed white girl on the road once. Took her home and chained her to my heat register. Cured her of nymphomania I did.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 3:39:53 AM EDT
[#35]
$10 once in the middle of nowhere South Georgia. My wife once picked up $100 floating in a gutter. Boards mostly for me. I grab scraps to make target frames with. Nice when you dont have to pay to shoot something up~
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#36]
2 weekends ago, a small ice chest, the size that is perfect for about 4 cans of beer, pop, or what have you in the middle of the traffic lane. in perfect shape, with no one around.

This week, a Swedish Mora knife, just laying there on the edge of the road,

Have to agree, best things in life are free!
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
If anyone finds a diamond engagement ring on the side of the road south of Apopka on Hwy 441, it's my sister's.  She got mad at her fiance' and threw her engagement right out the car window!  

He bought her a new one and married her anyway.  

Didn't last long.  Go figure...
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I've heard this happens a lot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#39]
87 brand new razor blades scattered over 100 ft of two-lane road. Someone had lost one of the 100 packs off their truck. I found 3 broken ones the other halves were probably in someones tires since none of the broken pieces matched.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I've often wondered who exactly those people are who buy tarp straps new at the store...

The best thing I have found by the side of the road is a like new set of jumper cables. I frequently drive in heavy traffic, so I get foiled that way a lot. I'll see something decent laying by the shoulder or ditch, and I tell myself "If that is still there after rush hour, I'm stopping for it," but it's usually gone.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Found $6, then $5, a driver's license for a girl that worked at Hooters (took it to her, she had her outfit on and I recognized her as the only black girl that worked there), a brand new rain barrel, some tire cables, a gift card with $16 on it for a local store, an Agner wallet with credit cards etc that was stolen in the early 90s (took it to her husband), a cash register tray (no money left), a birth certificate and a TN drug prescription card in the same name from someone from Texas, etc, etc.

EDIT: I found 4 dead dogs once, and a then a 10 KT men's gold bracelet in my front yard.

Long Form Vault Copy or Certificate of Live Birth???  Where was it from?????  

Wrenches, pliers, electric motors, orange cones (in a creek), sand bags (laying alone), a 12 foot section of molding that had not been run over yet, seven iron, slim jim (the metal kind not the greasey kind).  Couple of dead zippos, I think.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Life jackets, a brand new set of craftsman sockets, a nickel plated TOY revolver (talk about a let down). Various tie downs and a few more random tools.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long Form Vault Copy or Certificate of Live Birth???  Where was it from?????  

Wrenches, pliers, electric motors, orange cones (in a creek), sand bags (laying alone), a 12 foot section of molding that had not been run over yet, seven iron, slim jim (the metal kind not the greasey kind).  Couple of dead zippos, I think.

It was a stamped copy from Texas. Should've kept it, huh? It was where all the bums hang out so I was afraid it would belong to someone with warrants.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My dad found an 8-foot Fiberglass stepladder in the middle of the road.  He stopped, dragged it over to the side and waited for a while.  Nobody came back so he threw it in his truck and brought it home.  Another time, he saw a contractor sized poly wheelbarrow.  Did the same thing, dragged it over to the side, waited for a while.  Nobody showed up so he took it home.  

As for me, I've only found a stubby slot crewdriver. I did see an aluminum extension ladder on the interstate the other day but the traffic was wayyyyyy too heavy and it looked like it had already been bent or partially run over so I didn't try to get it.

Go back at 4AM and pick it up, the one I collected off the shoulder of I95 netted me $32.50 as scrap.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Probably a TNCARE card.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#46]

I found a wallet with about $100-120 in it right smack in the middle of a street.  I tracked down the owner (college kid).  His parents had just given him some cash, and somehow he had left the wallet on his bumper or roof of the car.  Needless to day, he was glad to get his wallet back.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Have found all sorts of stuff on the road:
ladders, tools, life jackets, tarps, bungies, binders,coolers

Have also LOST all sorts of things over the years: ladders, tools,etc

Heck, my wife has picked up fresh roadkill for me (mostly grey foxes the last couple years when I was averaging over $40)

Did see a truck lose a bedliner when they first came out.
At 60 mph! Wasn't my size, so I took evasive action and kept on gettin it!

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#48]
found an i-phone in the middle of the road after getting gas a couple weeks back, guys wife called lookin for him and was not happy when my wife answered
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably a TNCARE card.

It was.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Lots of tools, a car battery that wa sstill under warranty, so I took it in and got a new one, a Caterpillar dust bowl off of some heavy equipment, 5 gallon metal gas can with about 3 gallons of gas  still in it, lots of tarp straps and red flags. An aluminum two wheeled dolly thae fell off a truck after the driver forgot to close the door. Tried to catch the guy and give it back, but lost him in traffic. Switchblade knife which I destroyed after the damned thing came open in my pocket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top