Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2009 10:37:47 AM EDT
Yesterday I had to get a refund on a Eccotemp L40HI tankless water heater. It turns out they won't work well above 6k feet and cannot be adjusted for the proper fuel/air mixture... (according to someone I spoke with at Eccotemp), so if you're planning on using them keep this in mind.  This really blows my plans out of the water. Meanwhile this week also brought me a broken spring on my main cargo trailer (Haulmark) which I had been storing supplies in, so this week has been a real letdown. I am replacing the springs with heavier rated springs and re-mounting the axles under the springs to give me an additioanl 4" lift.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not order a Rheem?

They can be adjusted.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the manual, they really are Rheems, and they can't be used much above 6k feet (according to the person I spoke with who canceled the order for me).
Quoted:

Why not order a Rheem?

They can be adjusted.

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy once cry once, my trinity works at 9k

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

According to the manual, they really are Rheems, and they can't be used much above 6k feet (according to the person I spoke with who canceled the order for me).
Quoted:

Why not order a Rheem?

They can be adjusted.

Look at the newer model Rheems.

In the manual mine talks about being adjusted at 3500 (where we are) and again at I believe 6,000.

From Rheem:

•    
    Exclusive! Two high-altitude options – up to 6,560 or 9,840 ft.** elevations above sea level (altitude chip required – sold separately)

Link Posted: 8/7/2009 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You're right. I can see the high-altitude chip is available for these newer Rheem units. You seem to have to call them for the propane model's chips although I've seen plenty of the natural gas model chips listed on sites such as plumbersurplus.com

RTG-53PVP is the model I have been looking at since you convinced me to look again :) The chips seem to be all 3281-6560 ft. rated so it seems I'll have to call and see what it will take to get one that works at 8k feet.

These units make so much sense it's hard to believe anyone still uses a hot water heater with tanks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I decided I'd do one last update.

I finally decided to get the RTG66DVP from Rheem. It has a dip-switch selected altitude setting allowing it to work at almost 10k feet in elevation.

I paid $770 for it at plumberscrib.com

This is definitely a great unit, it was easy to install and is "off-the-grid" friendly even with it's 110vac requirement (I just use a small inverter) and so far it's working well.

I have no pictures, my fiancee has borrowed my camera for  2 weeks and i hope to get it back soon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm at sea level, and I can honestly say that my tankless water heater is the biggest POS  and worst investment I've ever made.  For those who say they love these things, just wait until it starts throwing trouble codes!  My favorite is "atomizing fuel fault" or some such shit.  

Any wonder why the French don't bathe??  Oh ya, they invented these things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top