Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2009 2:00:08 PM EDT

Anyone here have any experience with this unit?

I am trying to decide whether to buy a grain mill attachment for our kitchenaid stand mixer or a stand alone grain mill.
(I have never milled my own grain before)

Reviews across the net are 'mixed' at best.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in the same boat.  We have a big Kitchenaid mixer but for $100 or so for the grain mill attachment I can spend about 4x that and have a very serious mill (Country Living Mill).  Many of the reviews make it sound like to make four you need to mill wheet twice but I don't know if the same might hold true for better mills too?

I am debating if we could start with the Kitchenaid attachment and add the Country Living Mill later for when power is out or we might need to live off more home ground grain.  Funds are tight rigjht now so I may go with the Kitchenaid for now...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag as I am also sitting on this fence
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Try this out.

http://grainmill.com/products.html

There is an adapter for kitchenaid at the bottom. There is also a hand crank stand for when you do it the old fashioned way. I don't know how durable it is. Has any one tried one of these?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Review by Alpha Rubicon.  These guys tend to know their stuff.

http://alpharubicon.com/prods/kitchenaidgrainmillturchin.htm
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got ours and have milled only about 10 cups of wheat berries , seems to mill a finer flour than a hand mill and less work too.
Your suppost to mill only 4cups of berries at a time and let it cool. Seems well made.
I'm happy with it . We got the meat grinder and noodle cuter too, have not used them yet.
We did have a hard time locating the mill and other stuff seemed everyonr was out of stock. Had them on back order for a good 4months.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and I just got a KitchenAid mixer and upon seeing all the attachment possibilities I practically started drooling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't really comment on the Kitchen Aid mill attachment myself as I have had no direct experience with them.  I will say though, based on the fact I've never read of anyone here recomending one, I would probably pass on it.  IMHO I doubt that it's durable enough for long term usage.  We bought the Country Living Mill and can't say enough good about it.  One grind = bread flour.

Now, if you already have a Kitchen Aid mixer you can use it to motorize a CLM and have the convenience of electricity now and keep the ability to grind your wheat when the power shuts down.  I showed this in a post earlier this year (I think it got archived).  I thought of an easy (and cheap) way to connect the two machines with a lovejoy coupling.  One half of the coupling attached to the shaft of the CLM and the other half attached to a short shaft that is inserted into the accessory recepticle on the KA.  I built a shelf unit to hold the two together.  There's a small lip behind the mixer to keep it from working away from the mill.  When I want to use the mixer as a mixer I just lift the rear of it up slightly and slide it out.  Our KA is the 300 watt unit and we run it no faster than the #2 speed.  It works like a charm.

gk
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Review by Alpha Rubicon. These guys tend to know their stuff.

http://alpharubicon.com/prods/kitchenaidgrainmillturchin.htm

yeah like crossing the mighty mississippi in the "alpha boat"

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My wife and I just got a KitchenAid mixer and upon seeing all the attachment possibilities I practically started drooling.

we have all th eattachments except thegrain mill. I  got cheap and lazt and use a corona style or a Back to basics. IMHO ifyour doing large amounts the CL would be a better deal, But the BB aint to shaby for small kicthen use or single folks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one.  It works well and grinds fine enough to make some good bread.  It's easy to use and clean.  I have a hand crank mill for when the power is out.  It was an easy sell to the wife since we had many other attachments.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies...

We already have the stand mixer, been using it for years.
My wife loves to bake bread from scratch. (no bread machines at our house)
We do not grind our own flour, but my wife is interested in this idea.

My biggest hesitation on the kitcheaid attachment was the price; however, I found some on clearance for $49.00. (vs. $100.00+ everywhere else)

ETA; I just looked up the Country Living Grain Mill....  
very nice, but I am not going into the bread baking business.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top