Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:36:26 PM EDT
I've heard this is a pretty decent filter and would like to know your opinions.  I decided a filter would be great for camping/hiking and for my BOB I'm in the process of building.  I'm looking for the best bang for the buck under $100.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hiker is a great all around filter but it does have limitations. The one thing I don't like is it's 0.3 Micron rating, I just prefer 0.2 but many many people haved used the Hiker with excellent results...including me.

IMHO the Hiker is one of the best all around filters.

Today I carry the MSR Hyperflow due to it's size and pump rate. I use the Hiker as my back up filter.

The drawbacks I don't like are the flow rate (about average at 1 liter a minute), the micron filtration ability at 0.3 microns (on the lower end of average) and the size (about average size). All in all it is a great all around filter.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
i use mine alot, in shit water.

no issues here . I also treat nasty nasty h20 with msrs weetwater drops.

best bang for the buck IMHO.

its fast and easy to use.

If i ever  upgrade i'll go with teh mini(micro) or whatever it is to save space and weight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#3]
No complaints with mine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine works great and makes water that taste like bottled. Pumps plenty fast.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#5]
when I first got mine, I pumped some water out of a ditch in the Osceola National Forest.  The water was thick, green, and smelled awful.

I took the water from the Hiker Pro to a friend at UF, who did an analysis for me.  The treated water was as pure as Gainesville City water, but without the chlorine

I am quite satisfied with my Hiker Pro.  Its a trail pump for one person.  If I needed to treat gallons for a retreat, I'd use a Big Berkey instead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice, I believe I'll be getting one then!  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I played with the Katadyn and the MSR Miniworks and just liked the MSR better.  I added a Sweetwater Silt Stopper to extend filter life some.

Any particular reason why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with the Hiker pro.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine, and the rate of flow is fine for 1 or 2 people.  It does its job very well and doesn't cost a fortune.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I was looking at the Hiker and the MSR, and bought the MSR. I preferred the ceramic filter of the MSR, but I think the HIker may be a bit lighter. On sale it may also be a few dollars cheaper. Either one would be fine. While I have not tried it, I have heard that if the Hiker filter gets plugged, you can peel off the outer layer of paper and continue using it. If that is true, it would have negated one of my concerns about that particular filter. I don't think there is really a wrong choice between the two.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Already had an adapter to attach it to my Camelbak reservoir.  Attached directly to nalgene bottle (can't remember if the Katadyn did or not).

My Hiker Pro connected to my CB bladder and Nalgene bottles out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was looking at the Hiker and the MSR, and bought the MSR. I preferred the ceramic filter of the MSR, but I think the HIker may be a bit lighter. On sale it may also be a few dollars cheaper. Either one would be fine. While I have not tried it, I have heard that if the Hiker filter gets plugged, you can peel off the outer layer of paper and continue using it. If that is true, it would have negated one of my concerns about that particular filter. I don't think there is really a wrong choice between the two.

The Hiker has a plastic mesh cover over the filter. It is good at stopping silt, sand and large algae but is not a great prefilter. It does save the life of the filter though but the filter element cannot really be field cleaned, rinsed but not cleaned. I would guess the mesh is in the 50-60 micron level.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine worked on the Appalacian Trail just fine!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
First Need

OR

MSR Hyperflow.

The first need is a brick. Works right the first time, every time. Pumps fast and will pump even if it's clogged all to hell and back... no need for chemical processing, and will filter the nastiest, gunkiest sludge you've ever seen.

The MSR Hyperflow seems like a good contender. I bought one when they first came out, but the original filters had issues that made them inoperable shortly into their lifespan. I just got a new filter and am still in the process of field testing it, but so far it looks good to go... filters smaller, and faster than the hiker pro - it also weighs a whole lot less.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my hiker pro. Its small enough to fit in my backpacking pack and light enough that it doesn't bother me. If I could find another for the price I paid for my first one I'd jump all over it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I had one for 7 years. They are heavy.

I now have an MSR Hyperflow and like it a lot better. REI has had them on sale for around $50.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll +1 the Hiker Pro as well.  A simple trick I've used for prolonging the filter life in murky or silty water is to pour water back and forth through a cloth before filtering.  You'll be amazed at the amount of gunk that collects in the cloth, and get to pat yourself on the back that it didn't wind up in the filter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top