Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2009 1:40:36 PM EDT
I've decided to sell the wrangler and get something more family/cargo-friendly that gets around 20mpg and is 4x4.  I'm cheap, so nothing highend.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not go with an XJ?  More cargo capacity, 4 doors and can be had for cheap if you shop around.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure on gas mileage but 90s tahoes are great trucks. They are tough as hell and when 4 door, have plenty of space. They are cheap too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Don't lift or get stupid with tired and you get 17+ on the hwy
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep tahoe , XJ , Xterra all good .
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the 4runners or older land cruisers but my lady wants an xterra.  Surburbans and tahoes are also on the table.  Thanks for the input.  I'm analytical so this will take a while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]
cheap, BOV and good gas mileage don't go together very well. best pick two and be happy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
What's your budget ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
4runner, I have had experience with several. All are positive
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the 4runners or older land cruisersThirsty best MPG = 13 but my lady wants an xterra.  Surburbans and tahoesno cargo room behind the third seat are also on the table.  Thanks for the input.  I'm analytical so this will take a while.

The land cruiser fails your mpg desires by a long shot.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 4 door Toyota Tacoma TRD and it gets 20/25 MPG and I absolutely love it. IMHO, it is about the best BOV out there...I do love the Jeep's though, but I don't have one any longer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Anyway, though I love my GC and like I said I'm on my second now, your needs may be different.  I rank the GC with no modifications about a good 70/30 road to dirt as far as ride vs offroad capability.  You may want something a little more off road capable but you won't find something more road capable that's a 4x4 anyway.  I really like the big SUVs but then they don't really ride any better than my big truck and the truck can carry much more.  I guess that shouldn't surprise me since they basically are a big truck. I rank both about an 80/20.   The medium SUVs are somewhere between your Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee.  They have a lot more road comfort than the Wrangler but way short of the Grand Cherokee.  Naturally their higher body stance and shorter wheel base makes them a tad more off road/rock friendly.  I rate most of them, about a 60/40.  If you follow this then it shouldn't surprise you I rank the Wrangler a 40/60.  

I honestly think if a fella nails that percentage thing down as to what they want and test drive a few, whatever they choose they will like much better than what works best for me or some other guy.  We're all a little different.

Tj

In the lower price range, I'll agree, but if you give up a little more in the off road department, and are willing to spend some more money, you won't find better road vehicles that can also go off the beaten path a little than the MB ML350, the BMW X3 and the X5.  In fantasy land, and depending on one's budget, the ultimate on road vehicle, that can also do heavy duty, hardcore off roading, the MB Geländewagen is the ultimate choice IMO.  Let's face it, being able to change lanes lightning quick at 80mph in the rain is a survival situation that many more of us will find ourselves in our lives, than off roading in some Mad Max post-apocayliptic wasteland.  I've also responded to crash scenes where people have survived unbelieveable collisions and walked away thanks to not only German engineering, but German craftsmanship.  A well built car has a much higher likelyhood of saving one of our lives in day to day living than any firearm, MRE, water filter, parachute, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I still have a place for our F-250 diesel crew cab, but if I had to pick a car to get into an accident with, or thanks to DSC, advanced antilock brakes, great tires, and AWD, hopefully avoid one, it would be the BMW.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an 07 grand cherokee and agree with what tj says about em.

If the grand cherokee comes anywhere close to being considered look for one with the 4.7 h.o. engine if possable.  It gets better mileage than the hemi and costs less than the diesel grand cherokees cost.

I only test drove the diesel version so I can't say what I think about the power of the gassers, but with the little diesel I am darn happy.

If playing with wk grand cherokees read up on all the 4x4 systems, I have the same one as tj and it is awesome.  But simpler and cheaper systems are available.

I considered some of the toyota suvs but mileage seemed low to me.  I had a 2k yukon and hated it, dad bought it new and I took it off his hands and traded it in on something else within a few months.  Just a problem vehicle with issues with the power steering and heater core.  Multiple issues.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
See posted photo of Suburban

4wheel antilock brakes = check
Crumple zone = check
front air bags = check
sway bars = check
all wheel drive = check
2 wheel drive = check
4 wheel drive = check
4 wheel low range = check

autozone parts = check

German assembly = even the BMW M5 is assembled in the US

I personally don't think that German engineers are the best; they are good, but I think that the guys in Germany cant quite get a grip on the cooling needs for a vehicle in the continental US.  US engineers are good too but sometimes the company makes bad decisions as to what components to use.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Dunno what your budget is but....

I just bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. with 68,000 miles on it in great shape for 7,000.   22mpg on highway.  Very capable, decent towning, and lots of room.  Parts availability is great.

I was also looking at an older Diesel land cruiser.  30+ mpg but not quite as nice for a family rig.

Buddy had a damn nice tahoe but it got mid teens mpg.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I strongly urge that you consider a diesel.  During the Rita bugout, gas stations rapidly sold out of gasoline, but they all had diesel fuel.  

During the gas shortage in the Southeast last year, diesel was available.

Any semi rig has 200 gallon fuel tanks, and a railroad locomotive carries close to 1000.  Not encouraging illegal activity, just commenting.  Any big farm will have diesel tanks.

Plus it will run on kerosene, diesel fuel, home heating oil, and jet fuel.  Add lube oil at a 50:1 ratio and it will run on paint thinner, acetone, most any flammable liquid except gasoline and alcohol.

I own a Dodge 4x4 with the Cummins engine.  I get 18 mpg towing if I keep it down to 50-55 mph.  if I run 75 mph it still gets 15 mpg towing.

Think about it.

Ops
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're thinking about a used Grand Cherokee look for a 03-04 GC Overland. 4X4 with straight axle front and rear, 4.7 HO v8, real skid plates, real honest to God rock rails. ( not to be confused with nerf bars ) The Overland was the only model that came with the rock rails . Navigation was an option at this trim level .
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
'96-'02 4Runners get 20+mpg highway.  Fairly cheap.  Safe for a family.  

AND very good offroad - They'll fit 265/75r16 (32") tires on the stock suspension - which is pretty good considering it's not a very large vehicle.     Available with real rear locker,  and manual trans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top