Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 11:55:18 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I think it is close to the forum topic.

What do you all do with the little slivers of soap bars when they get down to a size that they cannot be used w/o breaking apart? I have tried rubbing them together to bond 2 small bars into 1 larger bar, but they do not stay together very well when I lather up. Can soap be melted to reform into a bigger bar?

Sorry for the silly question, I just want some different views & opinions cause I hate wasting anything that is still usable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
In Mexico, I met a dude who owned a small clothing factory.  After he'd lay out 50-100 layers of cloth, he'd use such bars of soap to mark the patterns on the top layer, then slice them all with a DEADLY machine.

So, I'd save all of my bars for him.  Now, I don't use bars, I use liquid soap.  Before I switched to liquid, those little bars would invariably fall into the tub, stick to the bottom, and I'd leave them until they were small enough to go down the drain.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
When you are showering, start using the new bar, and make sure the old bar gets wet.  When the shower is over, stick the old bar to the new bar, and the next day when you shower, they will be melded together.  No waste.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
first, my dad thru tem in a big mayo jar with water, then he used the water to spray his plants with to kill aphids IIRC

second, I use them to shave with, but I use a brush and mug for lather. they do not get as lathery as a fresh bar of Ivory, but, better than trashing them.

third, I put them into a small coffee can, keep them wet until they break down to a syurpy mess, and the sludge is about 1/3 the can, I then let the water evaporate, cut out bottom of can and slice it in half and get 2 new bars of soap that go back into the same process (as an aside, wives tend to turn up noses when introduced to recycled soap)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Mexico, I met a dude who owned a small clothing factory.  After he'd lay out 50-100 layers of cloth, he'd use such bars of soap to mark the patterns on the top layer, then slice them all with a DEADLY machine.

So, I'd save all of my bars for him.  Now, I don't use bars, I use liquid soap.  Before I switched to liquid, those little bars would invariably fall into the tub, stick to the bottom, and I'd leave them until they were small enough to go down the drain.

sliver up a bar of soap, put it into your squeeze bottles of liquid soap with water and you will pay less for the same...

CHEF
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Toss a handfull of the in a old pair of panty hose, soak for a minute, tie tight, let sit till dry, repeat 1 more time, then you have a weird ball shaped bar of soap. I was homeless as a child for close to 2 years.... missed 5th and 6th grade because of it. Learned alot, seen even more. Sure makes you put your head on straight when your subjected to this at a young age.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you are showering, start using the new bar, and make sure the old bar gets wet.  When the shower is over, stick the old bar to the new bar, and the next day when you shower, they will be melded together.  No waste.

This...................been doing it for many years..........

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a shaving mug and brush to lather up in the morning, no bar sliver ever goes to waste.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I read this one a couple years ago......

Get an empty liquid soap pumper bottle.
Put the leftovers and slivers in the bottle with some warm water, shake it up.
You now have soapy water in a pump bottle for washing hands.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mix them with Borax and Washing Soda to make laundry soap...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Toss a handfull of the in a old pair of panty hose, soak for a minute, tie tight, let sit till dry, repeat 1 more time, then you have a weird ball shaped bar of soap. I was homeless as a child for close to 2 years.... missed 5th and 6th grade because of it. Learned alot, seen even more. Sure makes you put your head on straight when your subjected to this at a young age.

I would love to hear your story!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We use this trick with soap at Boy Scout camps. Works incredibly well!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is what I currently do, but through vigorous lathering they still tend to come apart.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top