Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 5:11:21 AM EDT
Things to put on a "survival" flash drive?

I have on mine the Ranger Handbook, SF medical manual, Where there is no Doctor and Dentist......

Important pictures and documents (insurance, copies of birth certs, licenses and degrees/transcripts, SS card copy etc...)

Other ideas?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm working on inventory of household stuff with S/N. Tornado takes all my crap and sends it 2 miles into the woods I'd like to be able to say this piece of a mower was mine b/c it matches this serial or to give it to my insurance company as proof I had it. Same with guns, electronics etc etc. An Excel spreadsheet of all this data would take short bit of time to make but be worth the effort. Its also good to log purchase date etc for warranty info. Not so much for bugging out, but why make an inventory for insurance or disaster and not log useful stuff just for everyday issues.

Also as posted before, pictures are handy. God I hope I never use them for something like this, but it'd be helpful. I have small kids so their looks change so quickly. I try to keep pics of them in case the issue came up and we needed their pic for lost, or identification.... again. Pray it never happens, but the harshness of life is it does to someone. Or if worst comes to worst I'd like to have pics of my family if I lost everything else.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe you will find this site VERY helpful.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Things to put on a "survival" flash drive?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=622807
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=620405
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=619648
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=620522

here is my encrypted directory structure:

auto/
- pics of my truck and wifes car.
- scan of vehicle registrations for above.
- scan of vehicle insurance for above.
- pdf repair manual for my truck.

bins/
- binaries of applications, e.g. Acrobat, Truecrypt, EchoLink, Firefox Portable, PortaPutty, etc

financial/
- prior year tax return
- scan of bank account statement.
- scan of employer paystub.
- scan of employer 401K account.
- scan of Fidelity brokerage account statement.
- scan of one each credit card statements.

firearms/
- scan of any transaction records proving i'm the lawful owner.
- pics of weapons for insurance purposes.
- name, address, & number of a couple of FFL's.
- PDF versions of teardown/cleaning manuals.

gps/
- PDF manuals for my Etrex and Magellan RM800.
- latest application to download new firmware to gps's in case of corruption.

ham/
- scan of amateur radio license.
- scan of RACES/ARES cards.
- pics of rigs for insurance purposes.
- field expedient antenna construction articles.
- PDF user manuals for VX170, IC24AT, IC703+, V8000, FT8800, etc
- FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies.
- various frequency reference guides for local police/fire/govt.

house/
- scan of deed.
- scans of mortgage paperwork.
- scans of any township docs (tax assessment, etc).

insurance/
- scan of homeowner's insurance policy.
- pictures of items which have non-trivial replacement costs (e.g., wife's engagement ring).
- scans of appraisals for any items which have non-trivial replacement costs.
- scan of life insurance policy
- scan of will

maps/
- East coast, state, and county maps in PDF format.
- above, annotated with PDF postnotes regarding "places of interest".

medical/
- PDF of FM4-25.11, basic military first aid.
- PDF for proper application of a tourniquet in the field.
- various other first aid reference manuals.

numbers/
- scan of household address book, includes all family/friends/etc.
- PDF of number directory at work.
- text file with contents of cellphone memory.

passports/
- scans of my and my wife's passports.

pics/
- family pictures.
- parents / siblings pictures.

shtf/
- SHTF planning documents
- PDF survival guides, desert/blizzard/shelter building/etc
- 14 part PDF survival document from WHO
> 1 - Cleaning and disinfecting wells.pdf
> 2 - Cleaning and disinfecting boreholes.pdf
> 3 - Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks.pdf
> 4 - Rehabilitating small-scale water distributions systems.pdf
> 5 - Emergency treatment of drinking water.pdf
> 6 - Rehabilitating water treatment works.pdf
> 7 - Solid waste management in emergencies.pdf
> 8 - Disposal of dead bodies.pdf
> 9 - Minimum water quantity.pdf
> 10 - Essential hygiene messages.pdf
> 11 - How to measure chlorine residual.pdf
> 12 - Delivering safe water.pdf
> 13 - Emergency sanitation - planning.pdf
> 14 - Emergency sanitation - technical.pdf

wallet/
- scans (front and back) of everything in my wallet, incl credit cards, DL, social security card, employer ID, healthcare cards, etc. note that it's important to scan the back as there is always useful info there –– for example, generally the "report lost/stolen card" contact number for your credit card company is on the back.

––––––

anyway, that's what i have on my 1GB USB key. my Truecrypt file is 400MB big, and i keep a copy of that same file on my home PC, my wife's laptop, my work computer, and obviously on my USB key on my person. once a year i snail-mail a burned CD to my parents out in PA, and tell them to put it in with their important papers.

forgot to say that you should dupe everything for your wife/SO/GF

Quoted:
Secure it with
www.truecrypt.org
-Foxxz

+ 1,048,576.

the HUGE ADVANTAGE with using TrueCrypt over a "hardware encrypted USB drive" is that you can store, copy, transmit, duplicate, etc etc your TrueCrypt vault (= a file) as many times as you want, in as many places as you want, on as many types of media as you want.

in other words, you fell into the water, your USB key is ruined?

no problem, your TrueCrypt vault is also on your PC's hard drive at home, on your PC at work, on another USB flash drive in your BOB, on another USB flash drive in your BOV center console, on a CD at your parents house in a drawer, on a CD in a safe deposit box in a bank, on a networked server fileshare on the other side of the world, etc etc etc.

2 is 1, 1 is none.
having one HW-encrypted store of your stuff is a single point of failure.

ar-jedi

ETA, from a prior post

Quoted:
FYI is there any advantage to the thumb drive over a couple of CD's?

the USB drive is easily updatable as new info is found/old info is changed. the USB key is easier to hang around your neck, or stuff in your BOB/pack. but keep reading...

Quoted:
Can you set a password for the thumb drive?

don't encrypt the entire USB key. instead, see my link above for TrueCrypt software (open source, free, very good). use it to make an encrypted container, and that's where your docs will go into.

ETA:
the main reason you don't want to encrypt the entire key is that in order to decrypt the key on some random computer you found, you would first need to install the decryption software. which you would get from where? so there is a chicken-vs-egg problem.

hence, make a container within the USB key; encrypt that. OUTSIDE THE CONTAINER, place the truecrypt installer application AND use the "Make Traveller" function from within truecrypt. the latter will add all the necessary bits to the USB key to unencrypt the container without having to actully install truecrypt on the PC. and, having the actual installer application is just backup.

don't make the container larger than about 600-650MB. why not? keep reading...

Quoted:
Is it EMP proof?

no one knows. so, in true ARFCOM fashion, "get both". make a CD copy once every 6 months or so, and perhaps keep a second USB key in an RF proof box somewhere with the rest of your electronic SHTF stuff. nevertheless, if there is an EMP strong enough to take out your USB key, it probably means you have huge problems forthcoming!

as noted way way way above, i periodically make a copy of my USB key onto a CD, and send it off to my parents in another state (aka cheap offsite storage). this is why you should not make the encrypted container larger than 600-650MB –– otherwise it will not fit onto a CD.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would agree with all of this ^^ except that most PC's come with DVD burners and try to find a flash drive smaller than 4 gig...

Use your extra space for higher quality scans of your important papers and stuff.  Scan at the highest quality your scanner will do, you will be thakful you did.

Also, Rotate 2-3 USB keys and choose the name brand ones like Corasir.  The generic ones will just make you cry...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top