Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2009 9:44:21 AM EDT
Sorry to do a copy and pastie job, but I was referred over here by somebody else. Basically I am going on a Monday morning - Friday evening hike with some venture boy scouts (who are in pretty good shape) and need to get outfitted. I'm also using this as the initial set up for a potential bug out bag.

hook a brother up

Thanks again for the help in advance. I feel like whenever I have AR15.com help out on purchases I may spend more, but I'm always satisfied with the product. When I go it alone (like I did when I first started getting into guns in 2003) I find myself doing retarded crap like buying a TAPCO stock for an SKS because it looks awesome. And then kicking myself later once I realize how much it sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
REI has a big sale that starts tomorrow.

Things they have that might interest you:
REI Quarter DomeT2 tent, sale price 189.99
REI Halo sleeping bag, sale price 179.99-189.99
Various Osprey and Gregory backpacks
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Get  60f. go poncho liner, and a decent base layer for at night.

Get good socks,

wear good boots- THAT ARE BROKEN IN>

Get a water filter- katadyne hiker is decent and cheap

food- go cheap and light. lipton rice sides, some retort chicken, maybe an mre entree here and there.

Lot of electrolyte drink mixes

Platyapus bladders least 2

1 nalgene

and a pack bladder.

a spoon or spork.

stove- not needed...use wood or make a soda can stoev to save weight/ and cash for other gear choices.

PACK-

get one in the 3k -4k ci range. get your torso sized and buy a decent pack. Check REI/CampMor for deals. Stay

Tent- not really needed imho, but if you need to have one get a good solo bivy tent thats cheap like the  coleman exponet kraz or such! or eureka solitaire.

or go Tarp  and bivy bag.

wear some good drawers no whitey tighties.

breathable shirts, light colors.

bug spray.

1 multi tool and 1 good knife thats it

matches

lighter

fire steel

sorry lotta junk  off the top of my head but as long as you got food,water and shelter you'll do alright. Drink alot even  in the cold...

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Keeping up with teens will be a challenge so you have to outsmart them. Make the toughest looking young 'un carry the group's water.

Keep the second leader type (typically the jock's buddy) occupied with reading the compass and taking sightings or map readings...this will SLOW THE WHOLE GROUP DOWN.

Third, keep them engaged with 'woodcraft' pointers along the trail - point out geological features, critter tracks and game trails, etc. tell them old war stories about that time 'back in 'nam' when the cong were getting too close that one lonely night"... anything to keep the group from leaving you in the dust.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
JustadBellum, my wife wants to know what I'm laughing at. I told her nothing, that she wouldn't understand.

Quoted:
REI has a big sale that starts tomorrow.

Things they have that might interest you:
REI Quarter DomeT2 tent, sale price 189.99
REI Halo sleeping bag, sale price 179.99-189.99
Various Osprey and Gregory backpacks

Wow, that's perfect! Thanks for the heads up on the sale.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's very important that a pack fit you well.  Also important that a tent and sleeping bag are both large enough for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top