Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2009 6:22:15 PM EDT
Found out today that south of where I live two kids have confirmed cases of swine flu.

Gov. has closed down the school and a daycare for 7 days.

Talked to my wife about plans if our school gets closed down for 7 days or longer.

Not looking forward to the local hysteria........
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Found out today that south of where I live two kids have confirmed cases of swine flu.

Talked to my wife about plans if our school gets closed down for 7 days or longer.

care to say what state?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.......MAINE.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a prep board––this is why we prep:

Low/no debt

emergency cash on hand (small bills)

good diets

food, meds, water, shelter for 2wks––1yr

personal protection

standard application
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
chenell 5 news at 9:00pm here in TN says flu is here now also.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Fort Worth, TX schools closed until May 8 at least.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1347939.html

I have heard other school districts have already followed suit.

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all school districts in the DFW Metroplex are closed soon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if almost all school districts in the DFW Metroplex are closed soon.

Holy crap.

I hope my college doesn't close this close to finals.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap.

Don't hold your breath.

UT Arlington?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Now in Tennessee as well.

If you never read the story Executive Orders by Tom Clancy you should. It follows the Jack Ryan books (like in the movies Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger). In the book, a virus is released in multiple places in the US. One of the consequences is that the military gets hit with it as well so that they cant deploy. Not an issue now since we have so many folks in harms way already but dang this plays out like that story in some ways.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap.

Don't hold your breath.

UT Arlington?

Collin College
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
1 case in Reno, NV
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Collin College

Hopefully you are far enough out, but I have a feeling that with all the panic you will be out of school for a little while.

The scary thing is that this kind of thing goes in waves.  So if it really is a pandemic kids being out of school for a week isn't going to do anything.  They would have to be out for at least a year.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Two possible cases in Madison, Al - just reported on the 10 pm news. Why report it as 'possible'. Either it is or it isn't. If the health officials are not sure just wait till confirmation one way or the other.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
BOTTOM LINE   it's going to spread around to every state no matter what the gov does.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]

MILWAUKEE  –– Three probable swine flu cases
have been found in Wisconsin and four of Milwaukee's public schools
have been shut down indefinitely because of the two probable cases in
the city.

Milwaukee Health Commissioner Bevan Baker said the city's two probable
cases involve one adult and one child. Baker said a number of
schoolchildren linked with those cases have shown symptoms consistent
with swine flu, which prompted the decision to close the four schools
for the immediate future.

The third probable case involves an
adult in Adams County in central Wisconsin. The man is thought to have
gotten sick while traveling to California. Health officials said he is
being treated with Tamiflu and is doing well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Just popped-up in our area–– two possible cases in Huntsville, AL. Both students at the same elementary school.  

Bunch of schools closing here for at least a couple of days. Story here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BOTTOM LINE   it's going to spread around to every state no matter what the gov does.

This.  The US is NOT trying to stop this virus through containment, only mitigate it's blow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The worst part of closing the schools for 7 days is that they tack those days back on at the end of the school year!  Totally F's up my summer vacation plans if they do that.  And it looks like they will.  Closed one school less than 20 miles from my kids schools in Ca.  Stupid pigs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:21:38 AM EDT
[#18]
you close schools who watches the kids,,,,,folks call in to work....work shuts down .....things slow down.....economy takes a hit.......and so forth.

they really need to lay off the "suspected" case BS. Johnny shows up at the ER with a sniffle and cough..wham swine flu.....new's is all over it,,causes a panic in the local area.....yada yada yada....
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
So far nothing like that here in PA.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#20]
what seems like an over reaction by .gov over this flu is more likely a calculated plan to see how easy it will be to control the sheep.

we lose 38,000 folks each year to regular flu, with no panic.  This is NOT just happening, its planned
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn, I thought you were talking about Tennessee.  Governor here did the same thing.  Private school in west Nashville was closed for a week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
what seems like an over reaction by .gov over this flu is more likely a calculated plan to see how easy it will be to control the sheep.

we lose 38,000 folks each year to regular flu, with no panic.  This is NOT just happening, its planned

I agree- if you mean the hysteria is planned.  So far I see this entire thing as mostly a non-issue that has been trumped up into EPIDEMIC/PANDEMIC/RUN-FOR-THE-HILLS proportions, when it so far has proven to be a pretty minor issue.

Like the current crop of social engineers like to say, don't let a good crisis go to waste!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sorry.......MAINE.

Have there been any confirmed cases of the flu there or is it just knee-jerk? the near-real time map doesn't show any infections there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Daycare?  Private business was ordered closed?

TRG

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
you close schools who watches the kids,,,,,folks call in to work....work shuts down .....things slow down.....economy takes a hit.......and so forth.

they really need to lay off the "suspected" case BS. Johnny shows up at the ER with a sniffle and cough..wham swine flu.....new's is all over it,,causes a panic in the local area.....yada yada yada....

This.  

An unnecessary overreaction could be huge blow to our already weak economy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Daycare?  Private business was ordered closed?

TRG

They have the power to do that.  For example the head of the Health Department in my county has the power to shut down, everything.  She can shut down business, churches, anyplace people may go.  Scary huh?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Park City, Utah schools closed.  Lotsa Mehicanos there.
http://www.pcschools.us/
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top