Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waldo, couple of questions.  With pressure canning, are there "safe" recipes you have to follow?  (Example, I have read that you have to follow certain recipes to safely can salsa).  And how long do you think this stuff will keep?

The "safe" part of the recipe pretty much just pertains to the processing time and pressure for low acid foods. As far as shelf life... I can't get solid info beyond a year, maybe someone else can find it.  Not a worry for me as this is food that we eat. As we rotate through it we'll can more.

Why dont you freeze it and then cook and can it if you have to?. Surely you dont eat that chicken everyday like that. If you run out of power pull your stuff out of the freezer and then do it when you have to as you have just cut out all your options to just boiled chicken that looks like puke .

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I canned 32 lbs of chicken today - it is .57 cents a lb at albertsons thru this tuesday
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The "safe" dishes for salsa and anything tomato is for steam bath canning, not pressure canning. You have to be sure to maintain a certain PH with steam canners. Usually tomatos are the main ingredients because they are acidic. If you don't follow the recepie, you might change the PH too much and bacteria can grow in there. The advantage to pressure canning is that the temp. can reach high enough to kill the tougher bacteria and you don't need to maintain the PH level in the food.  Waldo, the soup looks great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Where do you get your recipes?  I'm considering getting either the ball blue book or the Ball Complete book of Home Preserving but am looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't let the looks put you off. It's in clear jars that you can see through instead of cans that you can't.  It's cooked, so you can eat it out of the jar if need be (or just heat and eat.)  You don't have to worry about a power outage and everything thawing, ect.. It's longer term food storage and a better grade of stuff than you can buy already canned.

Most of the longer term food storage is carb based,,, wheat, pasta rice, beans, ect.. No reason in the world not to have proteins.

What im saying is you dont buy the most expensive cuts of chicken like tenderloins and then boil it when you eat it everyday, if you do, thats like buying prime steak and cooking the guts out of it, its almost sacriledge. If you are in the position to eat it as a survival food surely you would have the 1 hour available to can it up its not like you will be in a rush to go to the office. In a scenario where you dont it still seems like a waste of money/time. Boiled tenderloins and boiled drumstick (or cheaper cuts)  meat actually has more fats and almost the same taste (when boiled) for the same purpose. If you are boiling tenderloins for everyday consumption you really need a cooking course because its such a waste of quality product.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Waldo, I would think if stored in a cool,dry place that you'd get much more than a year. I live in Cali, so I'm a little leery of storing my stuff in glass, but if I secured them well enough I guess they'd be ok.

Your chicken reminds me of my mom canning fresh tuna. Looked like hell in the jar, but tasted superb!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
that looks great W, thanks for sharing!

What size/brand canner are you using? How are you storing your jars? back in the box on a shelf or just shelved?

Wondering from a survival standpoint how to protect the jars from breakage as best possible (earthquake, tornado etc). I realize that you can't protect it 100% (or anything else for that matter) just wanting to limit damage.

Thanks again man,
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Here you go Waldo.  This is some of the meat we have canned.

Starting on the left.  
1.  Cold packed Hamburger
2.  50% Browned Hamburger hot packed
3.  Cold packed Pork Loin
4.  50% browned sausage hot packed
5.  Cold packed sausage.    

The only real difference between the cold and 1/2 browned meat is the texture.   The pre browned comes out and cooks up in pieces.   The cold packed browns up lvery fine like the Yoder canned beef.  We have decided that pre-browning is a waste and have since only cold packed and pressure canned.   You people really should not worry about "how long it can keep" stuff.   This is no different than the yoder canned meat.   If you do it right it can last years.    The can on the far right is sausage.   It was canned in November 2005.    I eat it all the time.   Great stuff.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I like to hot pack any meat i can for two reasons.  First is because it renders out most of the fat which eventually will go rancid if canned - also rendering out the fat helps in cutting down the number of cans that don't seal cause of oil on the rim.  Second is because precooking the meat creates stock that is then canned - the stock is great to use instead of plain water when making rice.

chicken, pork, and hamburger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top