Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 3:48:59 PM EDT
Lots of cool pics. I know we've all talked about it here, it's just not something you usually see one of the big media sites talking about.

I wonder if this story will spark much interest. If so, I wonder if that could possible make the prices of the units go up?

Twelve amazing shipping container houses

By Brian Clark Howard

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything "green" is a hit right now as the MSM try to suck up to his Royal Highness, King Obama!

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything "green" is a hit right now as the MSM try to suck up to his Royal Highness, King Obama!

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You can say that agian.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can say that agian.

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I drive by the second one, De Maria House in Redondo Beach, every day.  It is brand new (<5 years old) and it looks like shit, already.  There is a second one near by not mentioned in that story.  It also looks like shit, but better than the De Maria house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
When you say it looks bad, how so? Rust, bad design, tacky???
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#7]
you should post some pics of the house. do they not hold up well to the elements or is it more due to owner neglect?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw pretty much the same article on MSN a few days ago, but it's better formatted at Yahoo.  

Here is a link that was at the bottom of the article that shows 45 other pictures of homes, some of them fancy, some of them far from it.  Still shows some cool ideas...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When you say it looks bad, how so? Rust, bad design, tacky???

Those things will last a good while. I would assume if you put a proper coat of non-rust or cold galv on the outside it would be good to go for awhile. Maybe just need to re apply aesthetic paint more often
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Next time I go by I'll take a closer look for specific reasons.  

My recollections are that it is showing some rust through the paint.  The novelty has worn off (honeymoon effect) and it really looks like nothing other than some stacked cargo containers.  You get a chance to see it from lots of different perspectives, ones other than the view shown in the highly glamorized, highly stylized photographs.  Did you notice all the special lighting present in the photograph?  None of that is normally there.  It is drab and slab-sided.  The newnwess is wearing off the aluminum window frames and they are starting to look "cheap".

I think the use of these as a somewhat secure, self contained living quarters at your under-developed property is justifiable (maybe even cool).  I just don't think they are suitable as a primary residence.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Next time I go by I'll take a closer look for specific reasons.  

My recollections are that it is showing some rust through the paint.  The novelty has worn off (honeymoon effect) and it really looks like nothing other than some stacked cargo containers.  You get a chance to see it from lots of different perspectives, ones other than the view shown in the highly glamorized, highly stylized photographs.  Did you notice all the special lighting present in the photograph?  None of that is normally there.  It is drab and slab-sided.  The newnwess is wearing off the aluminum window frames and they are starting to look "cheap".

I have not observed one of these building up close, but from my standpoint as a building inspector I am not sure it meets the floor areas under the 2006 International Residential Code which has been adopted by most of the country in one form or another.  It appears any insulation is on the interior, and areas requiring higher R values will eat up more of that floor area, especially when you factor in any plumbing on exterior walls.  Ceiling insulation can possibly encroach the 7' minimum vertical height that is required as well, again depending on the required R value and materials used for the floor.

The other area I am interested in is the fire protection between the multiple units.  I would LOVE to get in one of these sites during the construction process.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top