Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 7:12:53 AM EDT
Taking my 10 yeard old to the Dr's recently, we had a discussion about dreams. He told me of a dream he had recently and I nearly drove off the road.

The dream itself was not that bad, but the deliverer of the contents of the dream has actually told his mother in private that he feels he is psychic...and God favors him. By the way, he does go to Catholic school.....where I live it is either that or be corrupted by the publik school system. I just blew it off with the wife as he is fantisizing which adolescent boys will do....although it usuallly should include a female in the plot.

Anyway, here is the dream....

Me: So what was your dream about?

Son: We were in our house and we were being attacked.

Me: By who?

Son: {You can see he is a real conversationalist}  By a bounch of people who wanted to take us away to work.

Me: How many of them?

Son: Lots...it was just us 4 {Me, wife, son 14 and the dreamer} and they had maybe 40 people.

Me: What were we doing?

Son: We were shooting at them with all your guns dad.

Me:  What happened?

Son: They got in and took two of us away.

Me: Who?

Son: I don't remember

Me: How did they get in?

Son: Through the windows on the back of the house.

{Queue Twilight Zone music}
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]

One vote for "going nuts."
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If I was you I'd be reinforcing those back windows, better safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
a) typical dream format for the age group "They're taking away my family"
b) He's leaving out the part about the girl
c) This is a great opportunity to involve him in "home emergency planning"
d) Also a great opportunity for him to assist with re-inforcing the back windows
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
a) typical dream format for the age group "They're taking away my family"
b) He's leaving out the part about the girl
c) This is a great opportunity to involve him in "home emergency planning"
d) Also a great opportunity for him to assist with re-inforcing the back windows

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Dream analysis huh?

I had a weird one the other night...

I dreamt that I was hanging out with some people I used to be in the Marine Corps with.  They were walking down the street to report back in to the military.  I got abducted before I got to the gate.  A white hood was put over my head, but it had a hole in it so that I could see out of it with my left eye.  I was either indoctrinated at that point, or a switch was turned on (like the Mancurian candidtae), and they dropped me off at a soldier's funeral.  There were all sorts of politicians attending.  They all feared me, but welcomed me as thier assassin.  I was there to pay my respects to the dead soldier.  The dead soldier had some political stroke, and they were all there for the photo op.  I left, disgusted.  I then went and found my wife and kids, and left town.  In my dream I remembered feeling like the politicians didn't possess enough dignity to carry out my job.

Bizzare huh?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds normal.

Dreams are a means of preparing you mentally for something that may happen.

Like when you have a dream that a loved one dies, it is to help prepare you psyche for when that does happen.

Dreams also reveal what is going on the subconious mind.

He may have seen a movie along those lines, or heard from some paranoid persona bout something like that, and although he may not coniously realize he is thinking of it, his subconious mind is.

The mind is a very complex thing and will only baffel you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a thought, this might be his way of saying the back windows of the house make him nervous, when he is alone there or at night.  Reinforce the windows like was suggested in an earlier post,  or put some motion detection lights out back.   Show him how the detectors work at night.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
He isnt blind to dads constant ranting of TEOTWAWKI and it is now manifesting in parinoid dreams.
You may be scaring your son for life.

Instead of watching Jerico reruns tonight, how bought watching a Disney movie with the family.

(sarcasum)
I just needed to point that out to some folks
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I had kind of the same dream Monday night. I dreamed that the Nazi party re-organized and invaded America. The president did nothing to prevent it and they were going street to street rounding up Americans, separating families, etc.. I had to try to hide my family, and when I woke up, all I felt like doing was taking inventory on ammo and food stores.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
nothing nuts about the dream.  at that age, i was setting up army men on the hill behind our house and shooting them down w/ my bb gun and throwing fire crackers at them.  other than being a lawyer, i'm pretty normal.  

you have to look at the inputs in your son's life.  btwn the internet, cable, video games, other kids, etc., there's not much that can't be easily accessed or seen.   what goes into kids is usually what comes out.  what this is, is a good opportunity, as others have pointed out, to discuss things w/ your son - age appropriate of course.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He isnt blind to dads constant ranting of TEOTWAWKI and it is now manifesting in parinoid dreams.
You may be scaring your son for life.

Instead of watching Jerico reruns tonight, how bought watching a Disney movie with the family.

(sarcasum)
I just needed to point that out to some folks

This isn't too far off.  Actually, it may be right on.

I apparently scared the hell out of my son on accident.  Whenever any question as to why I need something, or why buy so much ammo, the constant joke around the house was "for the zombie apocolypse!"  Well, an 8 year old's mind is easily influenced!  My wife came to me with those "your in for it" eyes.  Seems my son was having a hard time sleeping cuz he was worried that he was too young to help the family fight off zombies!  I gotta love his concern for his family, but I felt horrible.

I can easily see your son's dream comming from some conversation he overheard or some joke you may have made while orginizing your stuff, etc...
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one of those when I was a ute. But it was Apaches (or Commanches, don't remember). We fought them off. Too many John Wayne movies.

The weirdest dream I have ever had (that I remember) was that I could fly. It was all inside our house. I just levitated  to the parallel and put it in gear. I could remember during the dream thinking, "This is so cool!" I would bank on the turns and take off on the straight shots down the hallways.

Don't bother trying to psychoanalyze this. If I haven't gone postal by now it's not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My son SBK and I have had a number of post-apocalyptic dreams.  Dreaming is you mind's attempt to solve a problem or resolve a conflict that arose during the day.  Ours have been so vivid and specific that we are writing a post apocalyptic novel using the content.

Are dreams prophecy?  Damn, in our case I sure as hell hope not.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I say nothing to worry about.
I had way more f'd up dreams than that at an earlier age.

I still have horrible ones........ try reloading a black powder pistol in a gun fight it sucks even in a dream
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't tell people my dreams anymore for the vast majority that I enjoy, others would consider nightmares.

LOL!

Nothing like knowing having an idea what people are going to say or do before it happens....be somewhere before you've been there. Whatever the reason or circumstance it is a bit too freaky for most people's liking.

Whatever the dream, you can generally manipulate it to your liking if you don't get startled and wake up!

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I asked the Dr about my dreams one time.
He said "dont worry about them dreams, there only in your head"
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Used to have a dream as a kid, still have same one now on occasion, that I was being attacked and would shoot the attacker.  The bullet would just bounce off of the bad guys head and I wake up screaming.  Maybe thats why I bought a 50 BMG.  If that bounces off their head, I guess screaming is all I have left.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't tell people my dreams anymore for the vast majority that I enjoy, others would consider nightmares.

Tj

+1

Some weird part of me wants me to say "Reinforce rear perimeter security"

Part of me thinks you probably have that covered because you are posting this in the SF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a dream that I had to use my trunk gun to get out of an area and it would not fire.

I cleaned the gun thoroughly the next day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a dream that I had to use my trunk gun to get out of an area and it would not fire.

I cleaned the gun thoroughly the next day.

I had a dream where I was part of a strike team, and I couldn't get my AR to stop malfunctioning, so I broke into a weapons locker and started swapping parts. I was also just beginning a build, and hadn't shot my AR in many months. Went out and shot that weekend, any subconcious self-doubt was removed that day.

Although, the last few nights, I've been having WW2 dreams. I think I'm just remembering bits of "Band of Brothers" with myself thrown in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Dreaming is the mind's way of working out subconscious issues or conflicts that are troubling.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe your kid is surfing ARFCOM when you're not around??
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dreaming is the mind's way of working out subconscious issues or conflicts that are troubling.

Well, I'm glad my subconscious is happy, because my dreams sure cause a lot of issues in my conscious mind.  

On a seperate note, has anyone ever found themselves sitting at a traffic light that was red, turned green, people are honking, and you are off in some shitty memory somewhere, reliving it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well if that's the case then maybe I'm not insane.

Once I had a dream that my boss was a giant (~50ft tall) and was throwing books at me while she chased me.  In the dream, the books were my size, had wings and were flying towards me trying to attack me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The difference between a dream and a nightmare is a nightmare you run out of ammo!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well if that's the case then maybe I'm not insane.

Once I had a dream that my boss was a giant (~50ft tall) and was throwing books at me while she chased me.  In the dream, the books were my size, had wings and were flying towards me trying to attack me.

No, that is crazy.

I had one the other night that would make a good movie. I don;t remember all of it but a lot of drug dealers died grizzly deaths in it.....

Thanks for the reassurance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top