Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2009 11:05:39 AM EDT
possibly 100k

I will set a little aside to buy more food, can't have enough. but I'm decent there

water storage check

fuel storage check

guns/ammo- more than enough for my lifetime but I might buy a lot of DRMO brass to keep me busy and maybe a dillon 1050

gold/silver- not at the current prices and I would rather spend it on something else

what I don't have is land, but I have no clue as to where to purchase it, possibly WY (SWMBO family is there), maybe a small plot in AK because i really want to stay here. I haven't retired yet (8 rears left) from mil so I have no clue as to where I will be. I wont be able to build anything anytime soon but I hate having cash sitting where it could turn to crap or not work for me. I really dont want to pick up a morgage but at the same time I know i might have to.

any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look hard into land and/or a home. You might be able to pick something really nice up for really cheap because of obvious reasons. You can take a portion of that money and use it as the down payment and then use another portion to make the mortage payments until you feel ready to pick them up.

A nice solar power system might be nice too... or an RV with a solar panel system on it...

Either way your a lucky bastard and I am jealous.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Rental income could provide a nice cash flow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The messiah says:  Invest in stock market.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you Debt Free? Get debt free firs tif you have any debt.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be all about debt elimination. My wife would be all about a vacation.

My financial priority is to get ourselves as financially bulletproof as possible. If the economy crashes, I don't want to notice. I think zero debt (including mortgage) is the biggest step toward that end.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My financial priority is to get ourselves as financially bulletproof as possible. If the economy crashes, I don't want to notice. I think zero debt (including mortgage) is the biggest step toward that end.

This, Im doing the same thing
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are doing the right thing.  Zero debt is an amazing freedom.  There are still worries of course, but I no longer worry about myself.  I worry about my children, and how they will do.  By being debt free I will be able to help them or others if the need occurs, and I choose to.

I have lived debt free for many years, and it is wonderful.

By the way, camping is a nice inexpensive vacation.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Invest in a couple short term CDs, that way it collects some interests while you figure it out. I would not be too quick to spend it all. Sit back and think on it. Im not talking days or months, but a good year. 100k at 3-4% interests wouldnt be too bad til you figure it all out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Zero debt.

Ma Deuce.

Ammo.

better comms.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My financial priority is to get ourselves as financially bulletproof as possible. If the economy crashes, I don't want to notice. I think zero debt (including mortgage) is the biggest step toward that end.[/quote

What he said X 1000
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Invest in a couple short term CDs, that way it collects some interests while you figure it out. I would not be too quick to spend it all. Sit back and think on it. Im not talking days or months, but a good year. 100k at 3-4% interests wouldnt be too bad til you figure it all out.

What he said.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't read the thread but I am sure this has already been suggested but just in case.............................If you don't know send it to me   Like BHO I would have no problem spending your money

ETA and our wonderful democratic congress
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+10000000000000

If you are buy land. Now is the best time to buy land. Land is the only thing that you cant create, and another gaurantee is that more people are born everyday!

Also if the economy goes to pot and you got land, you can farm it and feed yourself! Just dont buy land with a lot of rocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am debt free other than a tractor pymt and it does feel good.I also have over a years worth of salary put back.I'm also looking at investing in land,but the way this administration is doing things,just because you bought it-doesn't mean you own it.I just built a new house last year and heat with a wood stove mainly and I'm planting a garden.I don't know what they're saying about the fdic,but last month there was talk it could be insolvent later this year.I'm going slow investment wise.I lucked with a very good banker who had similar beliefs and has been way in debt and worked his way out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#15]
You can get good deals on Rec land right now.  I would buy it somewhere that you want to live long term.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#16]
With 100K:

1. Pay off debts
2. Purchase a bad ass truck
3. Ammo, Ammo, Ammo
4. Food stock
5. Other survival essentials I cant afford
6. Property in middle of no where to construct a log cabin on
7. Possibly invest left overs in foreign banks that are more stabil, not sure who that would be though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

With 100K:

1. Pay off debts

2. Purchase a bad ass truck

3. Ammo, Ammo, Ammo

4. Food stock

5. Other survival essentials I cant afford

6. Property in middle of no where to construct a log cabin on

7. Possibly invest left overs in foreign banks that are more stabil, not sure who that would be though.
The only reason those foreign banks are more stable is because AIG paid them 100 cents on the dollar for their "toxic" debts - with OUR money.

Gotta agree with the real estate answer......they ain't gonna make any more land, so get some while you can.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I would go on the www.gunbroker.com website and buy every vintage Smith & Wesson revolver that I wanted to.

Especially the old blued ones that look like they're made of glass.  I truly love that old deep, shiny blued finish.

Then I'd buy a Marlin .30-30 with a straight (English-style) stock.

Then I'd buy a Remington Nylon 66, new in the box.

Then I'd buy a Remington Model Seven in .308 Winchester.

Then I'd buy a Winchester Model 70 carbine in .308 Winchester.

Then I'd buy a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 Winchester.

Then I'd feel guilty about how much money I'd spent on guns.

Then I'd put the rest in my kid's college savings plans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zero debt.

Ma Deuce.

Ammo.

better comms.

Ops

got the M2

got ammo

comms could stand some work but I dont really have anyone to talk to besides my wife.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#21]
after paying off debt i would still have about 95K , I guess I would put it in the bank for now, since I d0n't want to do anything rash.... maybe buy  5k of  223 ammo  & 2k of 45acp..the rest goes in the bank.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I know they are high, but I still think some PM's are a good idea.  Obama and the fiscal policies are going to totally ruin our dollar (in my personal opinion).

Doc
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
buy a 223 ammo machine and hire a man to run it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i was thinking the 1050 and another year for the kids, then i would be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

THIS!!!! quick buck + decent long term invest...as long as sdhtf and you canstill get ammo..
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
if your not sure, maybe you could put some money in bonds.  ladder them, so you have 1yr, 2 yr, 3yr, 4yr...etc bonds so every year you have a bond that matures.  when one matures, you can decide whether to keep it all or buy another bond to place on top of your ladder so to speak.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]
After paying off Debt I would have um 100K left

BOV Truck/Jeep that is pre-electronic so it would run post emp
Trailer for above For supplies
Then Food/ Water stocks. I am a little low right now. (Was laid off last year. AGAIN)
Them ammo and reloading stuff Progressive for 5.56 and 40 cal
Place about 10K in Kids college fund to finish it off (She's 5 so I got a while and it can almost only go up)
Dedicated 22 Upper for AR and also 22 Conversion for Glock and an Extra Glock in 9mm
More ammo
Two more ARs after I get in TXSG so I can get Colts CHEAP One in 9MM and an Extra 9mm upper
That should leave 3-5K Cash in a "safe" place
and 20-30K in Stock market plus some more in Savings
And some  more Silver Coins for just in case since I collect them anyway.
And a few Gold Coins because I can

And last since I just thought of it
An 1187 in Synthetic stock with a pistol grip like in Left 4 Dead because its just COOL Most likely a Turkey gun and add my 4(?) shot extension.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Invest the money if you are out of debt.  In 3 weeks the stock market has gained over 20% - You would have 120,000 instead of 100 if you invest properly.  Seek a Certified Financial Planner to help you protect and keep what you have.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Invest the money if you are out of debt.  In 3 weeks the stock market has gained over 20% - You would have 120,000 instead of 100 if you invest properly.  Seek a Certified Financial Planner to help you protect and keep what you have.

I could also bet on black at the roulette table and double it, possibly. it could also tank, again  and I would have lost 20K.  I have enough in the SM. I don't want all my money there. IMO is basically electrons floating around and I cant use those easily so I would like to do something else.

land is looking better and better all the time, especially if more people get into problems, like the current trend
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The messiah says:  Invest in stock market.  

...so don't do that...or watch all the peter schiff youtube vids and then make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Me?

100K isn't that much.

I'd pay off my mortgage and take the rest in cash and put it in my safe.

I have about all I need, although I'm starting to wish for a bigger house.  Might have to go house shopping.

My boss is a realtor and found an awesome house for another buyer in '05...  that buyer didn't like it so he showed it to me and I flirted with buying it.  I'm glad I didn't, given the housing market fall, but I'm wishing I had something like it today.

It had what was effectively a 4-car garage with three doors with tons of shelving, workbenches and storage, a BIG home-made treehouse / storage building - three stories! (first was lawn mower, flammables storage, second was treehouse first floor and the second was the "patio" on top of the treehouse) in the fenced back yard in a lightly wooded lot on the edge of town.  3 bedrooms + big loft that wasn't really suitable for a bedroom but would have made a great "man cave" / geek room.  Needed new carpet, painting, appliances and other work.  I would have put myself far more in debt than I was comfortable with to make it perfect.  It would have been a sweet, sweet bachelor pad.

If I could find a place similar to it today, I'd probably buy –– especially if I had an additional 100K in the mix.

John
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I would pay off the college loans right off the bat.  Then I would be house hunting.  I would contact friends with money to figure out the safest place to put it that would get me some interest but keep me safe.  I would, however, buy a number of guns.  Probaby something on the order of a 28 guage sxs possibly a Ugartechea or an aya.  I would get a jframe and a concealed carry permit.  I would also reserve about 10k for my wife to complete college.  

Long term, having the wife graduate would be the best thing for our interests.   Houses here are reasonable and we could get a home to fit our needs for well under 100k.  I would put 20 k down and be able to make payments on my salary while the rest earns interest.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
if your not sure, maybe you could put some money in bonds.  ladder them, so you have 1yr, 2 yr, 3yr, 4yr...etc bonds so every year you have a bond that matures.  when one matures, you can decide whether to keep it all or buy another bond to place on top of your ladder so to speak.

my grandparents did this with bank cd's one for every month at a couple of banks

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Look for a remote area - close enough to get to on 1 tank or 1 tank & some stored gas cans. 10+ acres as cheap as possible. 1 or 2 bedroom cabin - possibly small basement or pantry for longer food storage. Solar system to start add a windmill later. Set you back an easy 60-80k if not the whole 100k depending how elaborate. Stock the basement up with food & water. Seeds, ammo some weapons.

Preferably an area with lots of wild game.

Gives you a SHTF place. With the current admin - 1-2 years could be a trigger for a worst case scenario. If anything happens. better be prepared for nothing. Plus it will make a great vacation place :)

CD's & paying off bills is a great idea also!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I guess I don't need a disclaimer because you did ask for our opinion right?

I would avoid any bank or stock broker - not until things normalize

Considering you have debt under control and assuming your regular preps are good....

Evaluate your training - first aid, shooting, tracking - whatever you'd like to be better at - nows the time.

then I'd invest in land, ammo, pm's.

Land in my area has dropped about 50% from the boom times...I would look for nothing smaller than 20 acres, away from active roads and prying eyes, add a well and slowly start assembling a nice cabin/retreat/BOL.  

M
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I came into about that much money when I was much younger, and I spent it on toys, and risky investment (none of which paid off.)  Foolish.  Buy land.  Or get a Class III and get started in the world of full-auto as an investment vehicle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top