Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2009 9:18:57 AM EDT
and several AZ universities have issued warnings to their students wrt spring break in Mexico

The slide begins.

Ops

ETA: Just heard this on Fox News, cannot find a link on their page.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they are about 5 years late on that one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
A co-workers relatives are currently sitting in a Mexican jail on trumped up charges.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
phoenix is the #2 city in the world for kidnappings, second only to mexico city, due to the drug cartels.  linkunless something drastic is done in mexico, it'll quickly degenerate to something less than a third world crap hole.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/2009/02/23/20090223springbreak0223-CP.html

Universities: Avoid spring breaks in Mexico

Going to Mexico for spring break is practically a rite of passage for college students in Arizona, but the state's three public universities want to warn young revelers about stepped-up violence south of the border.

The University of Arizona in Tucson has issued a travel advisory urging students not to go to Mexico, and officials at Arizona State University in Tempe and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff said they have similar plans to warn students. The schools' spring breaks fall on the second or third weeks of March.

In its notice to students, UA cited a travel alert issued by the U.S. Department of State in October warning travelers that crime rates have increased sharply in Tijuana, Juarez and Nogales - all Mexican cities that have experienced public shootouts during the daytime in shopping centers and other public places. The department warned that criminals have followed and harassed Americans driving in border areas.

Universities that warn students of violence in Mexico are providing "sage advice," said Special Agent Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"We have had documented violence, attacks, killings, shootouts with the drug cartels involving not only the military but law-enforcement personnel," he said. "It is indiscriminate violence, and certainly innocent people have been caught up in that collateral damage."

Mexico's drug cartels are waging a bloody fight for smuggling routes and against government forces, dumping beheaded bodies onto streets, carrying out massacres and even tossing grenades into a crowd of Independence Day revelers - an attack that killed eight people in September.

Mangan said most of the violence is taking place in border towns and along roads at night, not at most popular tourist destinations.

More than 100,000 American teens and people in their early 20s travel to resort areas throughout Mexico during spring break every year, according to the State Department.

Becca Hull, a senior at UA, said she and her friends are going to Las Vegas for spring break because of the weather and good deals they found.

She said they thought about going to Mexico but didn't want to spend the money on plane tickets or risk taking their cars there - not because they were worried about violence.

"When I think of Mexico I don't really think of the violence issue because usually when you're in a resort area or one of the hotels it's all tourists," said Hull, 22. "In my mind it never would have been a factor."

Violence also isn't a factor for UA sophomore Daniel Wallace.

He is driving with seven friends and his father four hours from Tucson to the resort town of Puerto Peñasco, also known as Rocky Point, and will spend his entire spring break there.

"I feel most of the violence is in Texas, even in Nogales, but less so on the road to Rocky Point and in Rocky Point itself," the 19-year-old said.

Its getting ugly down there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Shocking, I tell you. Just shocking. Who would've thunk it.

A little late on that one if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
sure am glad that we built that up armored wall down there aren't you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if it is that way in the south near Rivera Maya on the Carib coast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Boy its a good thing I'm spending my spring break snowmobiling in the Snowies out west of Laramie, WY.  I have a feeling there will be very few messican drug dealer there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine just got back from a business trip to Mexico. Every morning three armed guards took him in a armored SUV to the plant he was working at. They would take him back to the hotel every night. He said he couldn't do anything, had to stay on almost a look down at the hotel.

In a week or two he is headed for Peru, and not looking forward to it at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Who Knew ???

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A friend of mine just got back from a business trip to Mexico. Every morning three armed guards took him in a armored SUV to the plant he was working at. They would take him back to the hotel every night. He said he couldn't do anything, had to stay on almost a look down at the hotel.

In a week or two he is headed for Peru, and not looking forward to it at all.

hope he gets hazard pay.

my brother in law just married a gal from a suburb of mexico city.  at one of the dinners prior to the wedding my wife asked about the violence there.  they responded, "oh, you just get used to it".  pienso que no.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I will be just inside TJ the week after next. Fortunately, I am going to be with a guy who lives down there and knows how to get around. It does make me a little nervous.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Did they ever find that kidnapping expert?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Related, this is some under reported news to say the least.... Texas on put on alert for border issues for the first time in modern history per this Fox news clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7_GIbvTE3A

This was from yesterday, I'm not sure if there is an update to this but it is an indicator non-the-less.

Link Posted: 2/24/2009 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Did they anounce that water was wet too ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top