Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:26:58 AM EDT
I did a search as far back as possible and read most of the water storage threads. I see alot of "get 55gal food grade drums and 7 gal water jugs" and a few suggestions on where to look.

Has anyone ever found theirs locally and had no trouble aquiring them for a low cost? Where to call or look?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
others have mentioned that soda pop bottling plants get their syrups in the blue 55 gallon drums and sale them cheap.

i have seen on a good number of listings locally on craigs list.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have several 2nd hand "hardware" shops that carry things like used washing machines, freezers etc. around the area that carry the polypropylene barrels used for various items. Just check to be sure if you gonna use it for drinking that there wasn't any thing nasty in it before you got it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#3]
7 gallon plastic jugs can be found at Walmart (short and square) for $11 or Kmart for $9 (tall and narrow like a metal jerry can).  Both have a carryhandle, rubber seal, and wide mouth cap with an integrated spigot.

Six months ago I found new 55 gallon blue plastic drums with a rubber seal, very wide cap, and brass spigot threaded for garden hose for $50 at Orscheln's Farm and Home.  Also fairly clean, used 55 gallon drums with two small bung holes for $20.  They have a shitton of locations in Missouri:

Map

I found you can get new 55 gallon water tanks made from a more rigid plastic from Rural King, but you're looking at $100 or so.  For that matter, you can get everything up to a fairly huge 2000 gallon plastic water tank from Rural King, but it ain't cheap ($800).  

On second thought, that's not bad per gallon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#4]
No bottling plants locally. Not looking forward to buying jugs as my local store don't have anything larger than 3 gal. Think I'll try going to larger town toward Christmas and look there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
its not local buy www.buylci.com has genuine new militay water cans for 15.00 apiece......great deal
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Hey PantherArms,
I'm not sure what part of Missouri your in, but there, seems to be some in St. Louis on Craig's List

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mat/920126683.html

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the feed stores around here have them reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I really want a 275 gallon intermediate bulk container for water storage. All of 'em around here seem to have contained something other than food products or are otherwise questionable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Try a local car wash , many get their bulk liquids in 55gal plastic drums.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know about you, but we have a number of water storage devices in the local area, things called ponds, lakes, rivers, creeks, even wells

With it being 19 degrees this evening, Im not able to store drums of water in a climate controlled area, so its just normal country break thru the ice water for me LOL

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
its not local buy www.buylci.com has genuine new militay water cans for 15.00 apiece......great deal

+1 proud owner of 5. crazy heavy duty 76 bucks or so ––felt like I got my moneys worth

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1

Tip:  Click 'Shop as Guest'  
Search:  water can
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Try the yellow pages for "drums or containers", I got a food grade 55 gal. blue drum locally for $41. It came from a place I'd known about for a long time, just didn't think it'd be a place that handled that sort of thing. They had a small warehouse full of them.

a-bare
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top