Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2008 7:19:39 PM EDT
so I just had a bottle of cooking oil in my cubbord go rancid.  I don't really cook much.  Doesn't take long.  Having oil in SHFT is very important but I don't know how to store it really.

I have begun to store grains in bulk but I don't know anything about storing oil.  

Any comments about what types of oil & preservation & storage methods?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Air, light and temperature are the main enemies
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
EVOO stores better than veggie oil.
Cool, in a dark area and unopened.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
EVOO stores better than veggie oil.
Cool, in a dark area and unopened.

I never heard of EVOO. Is it shortening?

We stock Crisco shortening for long-term storage. Shortening is said to have a very long shelf life.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
evoo

extra virgin olive oil.............watch come racheal ray.....
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I freeze cooking oil, so far so good.  Takes up some space but I have a big freezer.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Crisco
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Would the spray product Pam keep better??
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, since I drink a lot of red wine, I have one of these to seal unfinished bottles:

Several months back when I was looking for a way to store cooking oil, I thought, if the Vacu Vin works for wine, it ought to work for oil too. I have a ready supply of empty wine bottles every week, and they're already tinted very dark green to protect the wine from light. So, I just wash them out real good, pour in the oil, pop in one of the stoppers and pump the air out. Voila, cooking oil for storage, free from the ravages of oxidation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
lard is the way to go
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lard is the way to go

Forgive my ignorance but is lard the same as crisco vegestable shortning?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
nope lard is rendered pork fat, crisco is a vegetable shortning
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Crisco

Makes the best pie crust, buttercream icing, and for friedchicken!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
lard is the way to go

Forgive my ignorance but is lard the same as crisco vegestable shortening?

no, not the same
Lard is pig fat
vegetable oil is processed vegetable fats

the best cooking oil for long term storage is going to be Olive oil, on the record, olive oil has been found in caves in the middle east that is 100s to 1000s of years old and was still viable.

Crisco, though I am sure has a long shelf life. it isn't beyond more than 5 years unopened, 3 opened and properly stored,,as someone stated already, Light and temp fluctuation's are going to kill any kind of fats.

IF you use solid shortening,,on an occasional basis, you are going to have to keep it in the frige or freezer for storage. it is going to go bad once opened.

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Crisco

Makes the best pie crust, buttercream icing, and for friedchicken!

sorry wind, but BUTTER makes the best buttercream and pie crusts...Crisco is an acceptable subsitute and corn or peanut oil makes the best fried chicken..

CHEF
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
When SHTF I'll just make my own tallow from the deer that I will be feeding my family with. All you have to do is render down fat.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Oxygen causes oils to go rancid
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
A little off the thread here, but I always render the fat off all the chickens I cook.  I let it cool and then put the liquid in a plastic container and in the fridge.  The next morning I've got a nice, pure fat cap on top.  I store the fat in freezer bags in the freezer.  It is really great to use to make everything from cast iron skillet corn bread to soap.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Crisco
Olive oil in glass bottles.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:41:59 PM EDT
[#21]
laugh if you want but isn't crisco hydrogenated trans-fat stuff?  I would rather not live on that if there is a better alternative.  

So does EV olive oil keep better than non EV?

Isn't it bad to cook w/ one or the other type of olive oil b/c it makes trans fats when its in a frying pan?

Basically, remove O2, light & temp fluctuations to keep it.  

That wine vacuum pump.  I suppose it require proprietary corks... Are they expensive?    Sweet! my girlfriend has like a 2 gallon big green wine bottle.  The damn thing is like 2' tall & weigs 20lbs.  

So if you cook something in its own fat pour what remain in the pan & put it into a fridge in a cup it will make a nice hard fat cake?  Then you can use that for soap & future cooking eh?  

Admittedly I am not very handy in the kitchen...but I am trying to learn.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
ah screw it,  I'll just be a cannibal & make fat from folks
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Pam, Pam!!!! What about the Pam??

Doesn't anyone but me use it????
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If memory serves, Pam is basically vegetable oil, some alcohol (as a solvent to thin it), and butane as a propellant.

Would probably keep fairly well, since it's sealed away from light and oxygen.  But it's not cheap, and there are a lot of times you'd want to be able to add a tablespoon or two of oil to whatever you're cooking.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If memory serves, Pam is basically vegetable oil, some alcohol (as a solvent to thin it), and butane as a propellant.

Would probably keep fairly well, since it's sealed away from light and oxygen.  But it's not cheap, and there are a lot of times you'd want to be able to add a tablespoon or two of oil to whatever you're cooking.

We also save the bacon drippings and store in the frige, I also use Pam.

I also have had cooking oil go bad.

I think of Pam as a long term subsitute.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We also save the bacon drippings and store in the frige, I also use Pam.

I also have had cooking oil go bad.

I think of Pam as a long term subsitute.
Normally bacon drippings wouldn't be too good because they contain "nitrosomines," which the govt claims to be potentially cancer causing. Don't really know, but that is what I've read.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When SHTF I'll just make my own tallow from the deer that I will be feeding my family with. All you have to do is render down fat.

Venison fat is NASTY tasting.

+1, Some of the NASTIEST stuff I have ever tasted!  Good luck with that plan banjo.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I filter my oil through a milk strainer after each time I use it. I filter it into a quart canning jar which I store in the fridge. This helps me minimize loss, and get the most use out of my oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top