Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2008 6:20:33 PM EDT
In Idaho they have just launched a $50,000 campaign regarding a flu pandemic. They launched a web site, www.panfluidaho.com, to help educate the public about this. Our governor is the first person that gives the opening speech on the website.

This brings a question to my mind....... are you do anything preps wise specifically for a flu pandemic?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
We have some high efficiency dust type masks as well as some bio specific 3M filters.  

Not much you can do outside of voluntary isolation and boosting your immune system.

Ops
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Poor man's chem.bio suit.

Stearns rain suit, rubber gloves, face masks, goggles, Walmart, less than $35 each.

Clorox and a designated room for decon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I just continue to drink Jack as my regular drink.  Ain't a damn germ gonna' live through that. KT_Cobra
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that you need a home made Level 3 hazmat suit for flu. The influenza virus is transmitted by airborne droplets, so latex gloves, handwashing, and an N95 mask should be  enough to prevent infection. The problem is knowing when to start wearing the personal protective gear. With my luck, I will be one of the first to contract it.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't think that you need a home made Level 3 hazmat suit for flu. The influenza virus is transmitted by airborne droplets, so latex gloves, handwashing, and an N95 mask should be  enough to prevent infection. The problem is knowing when to start wearing the personal protective gear. With my luck, I will be one of the first to contract it.

Bob

You're right.

I don't need a suit.

I don't plan to leave the house.

But layered contingencies help me sleep at night.

Especially layered contingencies that cover multiple threats and don't cost much treasure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow.  We had a LOT of threads on pandemics for a while there.  Be interesting, to say the least, if the big one actually happened while we're in a worldwide recession....
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Protective suits --check
Gas Masks --check
Gloves --check

I wouldn't hesitage to wear those in public if I have to.  .  Better look weird than dead
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm.

I think I'm going to get EZ-Pass and stop trading money & tickets with toll-takers; I can't think of any other worker in New Jersey most likely to get sick & spread the disease than them.

-WhyTanFox
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget goggles. Airborne flu particles on mucous can get in thru the eyes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
i have been trying to consciously break myself of habitually rubbing my eyes, nose, unless i have freshly washed hands. i also keep a selection of the masks on hand.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wow.  We had a LOT of threads on pandemics for a while there.  Be interesting, to say the least, if the big one actually happened while we're in a worldwide recession....

ever read "deep Winter" and "Shatter"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top