Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2008 7:30:16 AM EDT
I just started the CERT program in my city. The first chapter was home preparedness. While reading the chapter I noticed an item on the 72 hour emergency prep list. It struck me funny since I've seen this one item on lists elsewhere too.

The list has a food list of things like canned meats, canned fruits etc. Then the comfort foods like hard candy, hot chocolate, granola bars etc.

Then one section, and this is the part I'm not getting is, they list salt, pepper and sugar.

I understand salt and pepper. Salt may be needed as extra sodium in times of high stress. Plus, salt and pepper make canned foods a bit tastier.

But why sugar? What is it about the 72 hours of emergency that I'm going to need sugar? Why can't I be without sugar for 3 days?

Some people say, 'In case I run into someone that has diabeties'. Ok, so now we should all have sugar on hand in the off chance that someone comes along with low blood sugar?

Some people say, 'It's for energy'. I would prefer to get my energy from food instead of cheap carbs that will just make me bonk out in a couple of hours.

Maybe I'm not getting it. But it doesn't make sense to me why I see sugar, on various prep lists, as something we all should stock up on in case of a 72 hour emergency.

Ideas anyone?
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a for instance prep list.
http://www.lifeorganizers.com/cm_articles/88_emergency_disaster_kit_checklist_927.html

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
After 77 reads, nobody has any idea.

That's kind of my point. There are a lot of sheep out there that will read the list and stock items that they haven't got a clue as to why should have it.

'Hey lady, why are you drinking that nasty water?'

'It's ok, I purified it with bleach.'
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#3]
it's because the sugar lobby is jealous of the salt lobby and the pepper lobby [/joke]

Just think of it as a stealthy way to get everybody started on the survival business.

The traditional Chinese "7 Domestic Necessities" are:

Firewood [or fuel]
Rice [flour if u wanna]
Oil [cooking]
Salt
Soy Sauce [or BBQ sauce if that's ur cooking sauce]
Vinegar
Tea

And modern people have added
Sugar [since we can afford it now]

Start your preps by going down that list, and you will be fine with the basics.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget water.  Store more than you think you will need (because you WILL need it).
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
my CERT manual calls for at least 3 days of supplies to be stored...  at least.  I think that's where sugar comes into play...  also, even just for 3 days, if you're drinking tea or coffee (also listed), you'll likely want sugar to add to them...  a disaster is not the time to go into caffeine withdrawal...

just my $0.02, and - of course - ymmv.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a fair amount of sugar in my preps (beyond 72 hours) because sugar is a basic cooking/baking ingredient.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#8]
stop questioning your government

if you don't stop i'll report you and have you sent to a re-eduction center
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got it! I know why I'll need sugar in my 72 hour kit.

It's so I can mix it with salt peter to make mongo smoke bombs. Kick ass!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I can live without coffee, cigs, and sugar.  In a high stress situation I tend to want those things (i don't smoke but you get the point) MORE than when things are normal.

Unless you want to suffer multiple withdrawl at the same moment life sucks, your plan should focus realistically on only what we 'need'.  If you drink 3 cups of coffee, smoke a pack of cigs a day, and eat 12 spoons of sugar in your coffee...you better plan to NEED that.

A 72 hour kit should cover breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and vices that you usually use.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got it! I know why I'll need sugar in my 72 hour kit.

It's so I can mix it with salt peter to make mongo smoke bombs. Kick ass!

found a few more uses here

Hand Cleaner: Sugar is an abrasive and if you have very dirty, greasy, or oily hands, rubbing them with sugar with clean them.

Wasp Trap: Boil 2 ounces of sugar and a little water in a pan to make a sticky liquid. Pour this into empty jars, or a dish and leave in the open where wasps will be attracted to sweetness. They go into the liquid to feed and cant get out.

Soothe a Burned Tongue: If you have ever burned your tongue on a hot drink, or hot food, you will know how much it hurts. Sprinkle sugar on it and the pain will subside.

Kill Cockroaches: Mix equal parts of sugar and baking powder. Sugar attracts these horrible creatures and baking powder kills them.

Start a Fire: If you have trouble getting a coal, or wood fire to burn throw a handful of sugar onto it. The sugar will ignite and help get the fire going.

enjoy.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Sugar also = comfort item

In a disaster situation sometimes its nice to have comfort items to ease the stress and have something to help things feel like normal.  Especially if you have children!

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
To me,its a comfort item. Where ever I am,its nice to have a nice cup of coffee in the morning. I take mine with cream (or creamora)  and sugar. If I'm on the road,camping or SHTF,that 5 or 10 minutes makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's kind of my point. There are a lot of sheep out there that will read the list and stock items that they haven't got a clue as to why should have it.

If you have sugar in your 3-day kit you'll be able to offer the FEMA workers a a tasty confection when they rescue your ass.

Seriously.....you don't need salt, pepper or sugar for a 3-day kit. Best reason to put that stuff in is because........it might be more than three days.

When FEMA comes by, I'm sure they'll be walking slowly because they just finished 10 MRE pound cakes. So I don't think they'll be impressed with the tablespoon of sugar I could offer them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Sugar can also be put into wounds to address infection.

Always good to carry.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Beats me, I figured I could trade to those people highly hooked on it. Who knows, maybe I can get me an Aimpoint for the cost of a 5lb bag of sugar
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#19]
One word: morale.

A lot of people consider tea and coffee a necessity (especially if you need to keep odd hours for watch or monitoring a radio).  Coffee and tea are much better for most with sugar.

For me that's enough right there.

Yeah, it can make a good prep for a long hike, but I'd prefer a Snickers bar.

-Greg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top