Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2008 8:12:31 PM EDT
I have a couple of masks that I keep handy because I live downwind from a Anhydrous Ammonia storage/distribution facility.
I store them with the filter canister removed from the vacuum packaging and attached to the mask.
Seems it wouldn't make sense if I had to use them quick and I wasted time installing the canister.
Would storing them like this reduce their expiration date effectiveness?

The expiration date is 9/2023. So would I replace them 9/2023 or 9/2020?
Then again I might die from something else before the canisters expire
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
filters have a shelf life, and I have read that some of the current .mil ones are actually dangerous if you use expired ones.  There are date codes on all of the canister containers but ive forgotten how to read them, im sure if you google it, the info can be found.

As for storage outside of the sealed package and how that would relate to shelf life I have no clue, but they dont appeared to be stored in vacuum or in any sort of gas besides good ole air, so they should be good at room temperature for atleast half of the sealed shelf life.  But dont take my work on it, i'm just a supply guy  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Now the bad news as it applies to your concern.  Ammonia at normal ambient temperatures is naturally a gas.  Anhydrous just means there's water.  Though it will most likely travel through the air as a vapor as the water evaporates the gas is released.  

Long post for better keep the filter in the can.

Tj

Anhydrous means NO water - undiluted, extremely reactive, concentrated beyond belief = certain death if you breath it.  

As soon as you expose it to the atmosphere it will start to absorb moisture from the air.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
okay. now I get it.
I guess I should buy some new ones and leave them sealed in their bag.
There is no way to tell how long the ones I just opened are good for then
I wonder how well a vacuum food sealer will work?
Lots easier to rip open a bag than rip open a bag and screw on the filter
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have thought about using a mylar bag to reseal a setup mask/filter combo.  Toss in a 02 absorber and a dessicant, I dont think it would affect the life of the filter.  Because I dont know, I havent done it.  Anyone have an opinion?  With the metal layer in mylar, it should stop any gas passage, which is what we should be concerned with.

Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, It depends on what you need to filter.

Dont open is the bottom line.  Yeah it sucks to open them, especially when you need them.

We used MIL issue filters that were 2 years old for training but then we only went up against CS.  You could tell the old filters by how hard you had to suck in the air.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm going to go ahead and say FAIL.

.mil masks are not rated for industrial chemicals, which is what anhydrous is considered.

We had an anhydrous spill a few years back, and a few .mil folks ended up in the hospital. They thought their gas masks would make them immune. Wrong.....

I have a mask at home too. But if there's an anhydrous spill, i'm getting my ass out of dodge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i'm going to go ahead and say FAIL.

.mil masks are not rated for industrial chemicals, which is what anhydrous is considered.

We had an anhydrous spill a few years back, and a few .mil folks ended up in the hospital. They thought their gas masks would make them immune. Wrong.....

I have a mask at home too. But if there's an anhydrous spill, i'm getting my ass out of dodge.

I'm definately not hanging around. I'm just using them to buy an extra minute
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top