Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2008 3:03:05 PM EDT
i saw mentioned a while ago that someone would go shopping and add $10 worth of something to add to his preparedness stocks.  This is within my budget and probably storage options.  Since kroger doesn't sell MRE's what would be the best things to by for longer term storage other than soup?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i saw mentioned a while ago that someone would go shopping and add $10 worth of something to add to his preparedness stocks.  This is within my budget and probably storage options.  Since kroger doesn't sell MRE's what would be the best things to by for longer term storage other than soup?

The way I do it is make a list of the staples we use weekly, crackers, peanut butter, bottled water, spam, et cetera, things that last on the shelf.
Then, when the we shop, we buy 10$ worth of those things.
4 cans of spam one shop day, 2 flats of water the next. One week, Kroeger has a 10 soups for 10 bucks, YeeHaw, jackpot!
Pretty soon, you have months of useable food and water.

Dont go out and buy 200 MRE's, unless that's what you and your family are used to eating daily, can you imagine going from regular meals, to MRE's 3 times a day, your guts wont be thanking you.

MRE's are great, I have 100 of them, just incase. But mostly, im going to use them for trading if SHTF some day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i was just using mre's as an example of something that stands up to long term storage, i mostly make rice dishes (pork fried, dirty, chicken rice gravy, red beans and rice), drink tea and soda or tap water. guess i could start building up rice and invest in some mylar and buckets, and get canned good to mix with it
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i was just using mre's as an example of something that stands up to long term storage, i mostly make rice dishes (pork fried, dirty, chicken rice gravy, red beans and rice), drink tea and soda or tap water. guess i could start building up rice and invest in some mylar and buckets, and get canned good to mix with it

If I were you, id start small. Dont start by thinking "I need 6 months of food by saturday". Start by thinking: How can I make it thru the week without having to make a special trip to the grocery store. Then 2 weeks. and so on.
Oden, im just speaking from personal experience and not trying to tell you what to do.

Good Luck, I wish more people were interested, so I knew I didnt have to feed my neighbors!

Happy_Gopher
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops, sorry for the hijack.
Stupid gopher!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
i only go shopping about twice every 2 weeks already and thats when i make food to take for lunch everyday, anything i buy extra is just to put back.  $10 at a time seems reasonable, im thinking rice and chicken noodle soup will get old but its not bad, i ate it for a week straight one time car camping
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a flat of chick noodle soup this week, and the same of baked beans. 48 cans out the door for $24. Next trip I'm going for canned fruits. Wally here has Mountain House, but for the price, canned goods keep well and can be incorporated into every day life as a way to cyle them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Rice, pasta, canned meat are good items to start with. Then add canned vegetables, dry or canned milk, canned fruit. Think about what you would want for your meals if you were stuck at home for a week and the freezer was empty.

AND read the many threads here on the topic!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Tamales, Raviolis, Spaghetti O's, etc is great for getting your stocks for under a years time.  

I just got my power back on after Hurricane Gustav, my MRE's came in handy for a meal during the storm when I had no power.

After the winds died down and I was able to use my camping stove and propane burner I used those for Raviolis, hamburger helper, egg sandwiches, etc.

If it was going to be a longer term ordeal (which some people within my area won't have power for at least 3 more weeks) I could have easily balanced that meal out with canned veggies, beans and rice, etc.

Get stuff that you will eat!  Everything except the MREs are things that I'll eat over time and restock as I go.  MANY people were and still are at the mercy of the stores and long lines trying to get food and gas.  I can just drive on by, the only thing I was getting low on was ice, I'm unsure how to solve that issue other than breaking down and buying a generator, but my supplies kept me good for the required time.

I hope my actual recent experience helps!
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
  It pays to shop aroung too. A large can of spaghetto's(sp) were 2.50 at HEB was 1.49 at the Dollar store. I buy a case of different food each, like fruit, beans, other vegis, etc. I also buy Lipton pasta side dishes and add a can of tuna or chicken to it. One pot, fills up two people. cooks fast. That is a issue- how long does it take to cook. Dried beans that take hours is a bad choice. But my wife cans them now and puts them up (also soups) that only need to be heated. Buy 25 lb bag of beans and cook and can now. Only need reheating. Ken
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought canned chicken at Wal-Mart six weeks ago at $2 per can, now $2.86.   Ouch.

Good luck, BSR
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
  It pays to shop aroung too. A large can of spaghetto's(sp) were 2.50 at HEB was 1.49 at the Dollar store.

you got to watch the date codes at the discount places.   Theres a reason they get the stuff cheap.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Tuna isn't too expensive.  We got that along with some Tuna Helpers.  They also make Chicken Helper; and, there is canned chicken to put in it.  We keep some UHT milk in the cupboard, in case we are out of the refrigerated stuff.  So, we can make any variety at the drop of a hat.  We have even found canned beef at the Save-A-Lot grocery.  We could do the same with Hamburger Helper.  Many places carry canned meats now.  We have seen them at Sam's Club, Costco, Safeway and even Super Walmart.  Noodles store fairly well; and, are not very expensive.  A couple of companies offer canned or bottled gravy.  Noodles, a can of meat, an appropriate gravy; and, you've got a quick dinner.

Think about what you eat now.  Just buy more of it.  If you don't eat ramen noodles or cup-a-noodles, you're really not going to like subsisting off them if TSHTF.  Don't forget some comfort foods.  Canned fruits are good.  Jello stores well (in the box).  As long as you have a way to heat it and cool it (a window sill in the winter), it doesn't take much to make it.

As someone earlier said, don't try to get everything at once.  Just remember how you eat an elephant.... one bite at a time.  Take it a little at a time and you'll have a good reserve before you know it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
  It pays to shop aroung too. A large can of spaghetto's(sp) were 2.50 at HEB was 1.49 at the Dollar store.

you got to watch the date codes at the discount places.   Theres a reason they get the stuff cheap.

Or made in Mexico

There sundries :  toothpaste, soap, etc ......or alot are Made in Mexico and don't carry the FDA or ADA approvals that products produced in the U.S. are held to......
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Krogers has pretty good sales at times, buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I do buy some items at Big Lots, and the various dollar stores, but you have to really know your store prices and their current sales.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have picked up canned tuna, salmon, turkey, shrimp, you name it.  I find them on clearance at the grocery and buy them out.  Assuming 2 cans of protein a day per person, I can hold out for 6 months or more.  This is just in addition to the other preps, such as water, fruits, veggies, etc.

It doesn't take much to get started - it's just good that you are!!

Best of luck.

Dean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top