Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2008 6:12:06 AM EDT
Just kind of a general question. If I go to the store and buy a 12 pack of AA’s, what is the shelf life. I guess what I am asking is in 10 years will they still hold the same charge as they did when you first buy them or should I rotate my batteries. As in take batteries out of my shtf store and buy new to replace what I take.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
the only batteries that i am aware of that hold a charge for 10 years are lithiums.  most of the alkalines have dates on the packaging indicating a shelf life of a couple of years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You didn't tell us what battery chemistry.

NiMH, NiCD, alkaline, etc. ?

Primary cells (non-rechargeable) will start to lose their charge the moment they are manufactured. What determines how long they last is the rate at which they lose the charge. Different chemistries have different rates.

Rechargeable cells commonly have a self-discharge rate of 10% / month. Meaning that if you charge the cell and set it on a shelf, it will be full discharged in 10 months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top