Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 2:52:22 PM EDT
 Just make up a sign: "For Sale, Gasoline $.39 a gallon- just like the '60's!"  Pre- '64 junk silver of course- a lot of people have a little around.  Works out to about $5.05 a gallon, so you should be able to make about 1/2 buck a gal.
 Of course if the SHTF or maybe next year, you might be able to sell your stock for $1 a gallon!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What!?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What!?

I second that

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the price of gas being less then it was in  1960 when adjusted for inflation.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think the OP is trying to make a point about the price of gas being less then it was in  1960 when adjusted for inflation.

no, he is saying if you make them pay for the gas in junk silver coins (pre 64 coins) you will make money becuase silver prices are high.

edit: to make it easier to understand, 4 pre 64 roosevelt dimes, 40 cents, has over 5$'s worht of silver content.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Provided you had someplace to sell the silver for the current traded price without any "% less than spot" crap.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Provided you had someplace to sell the silver for the current traded price without any "% less than spot" crap.

+1..most shops pay 1-2 dollars min. UNDER spot and sell 1-2 dollars min. OVER spot.

Those that even know what junk silver is, isnt going to bite on your lil plan. WHile I will give you an E for effort and thinking outside the box.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
That gas will be worth alot more if the shtf then those dimes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh..
 Legonas is Smart. Thanks .. and as alluded to, REAL money opposed to easily created paper, still seems to have the same value as 40 years ago.  It might be nice to have a little real money that has some value, should the government dump more & more Fiat money on us (BIG Bailouts= high inflation).  Around the world silver coins (& gold) are readily accepted & have been for 5000 years.  Ask a trusted Grand Parent that went through the depression (I'd say that was a SHTF scenario), what a silver dime was worth.... Those that have only lived in the AT (After Television) or computer age, sadly don't know this..
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like what KT Ordnance is doing now- pricing their merchandise with gold and silver face value pricing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top