Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 2:35:48 PM EDT
I am trying as hard as I can to keep my BOB light weight. Infact, it isn't too bad at 31 lbs loaded, including back pack and shelter (thanks thereisnospoon). Add another 14 lbs. for my chest rig. and you have a reasonable load. (My back pack for work weighs 25 lbs.)

I don't carry alot of extra clothing, especially in the summer. I will be carrying a set of poly pros in the winter. All year around I will have 1 pair nylon pants, 1 extra pair of undies, 2 pairs of socks, and one extra T shirt.

In the winter, I don't plan on having an extra coat or alot of extra clothes in my pack. If I am running out the door, I have a bag ready to go with cold weather clothing that I can grab if I am not properly attired. My plan is to be properly clothed when I leave the house. My coat is in the closet by the door as well as my insulated boots.

Tell me where I am wrong. What do you consider essential for survival in any climate?

I know I am asking really basic questions, but believe that its critical to re-examine my equipment on a regular basis. Especially on easy days at home like today.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You can be lightweight, or you can have a set of clothes for any climate.  I don't think you can do both.

My location has a much more temperate climate, so I just add a sweater and a jacket to my base layers during those frigid Florida "winters."

I think you've got a good idea by having your BOB set up with your base layers and second bag with additional clothing.  You can run out the door and then grab what clothes you'll need for that season of the year.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
"in any climate?"  no such animal.

just make sure nothing's cotton - you'll be better off for it...  it sounds like you've got it fairly well thought out, so just make sure everything fits correctly.  also, having a bag by your door is great, but make sure you've got something in your trunk just in case you can't get back home...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Supplemental Duffel!

Build your core to handle the most common weather range in your area, then have a duffel bag packed with your winter clothes and boots nearby, toss the winter upgrades in this duffel.  

This keeps them organized and close together.  In the winter move this duffel into your car.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"in any climate?"  no such animal.

just make sure nothing's cotton - you'll be better off for it...  it sounds like you've got it fairly well thought out, so just make sure everything fits correctly.  also, having a bag by your door is great, but make sure you've got something in your trunk just in case you can't get back home...

Everything is synthetic except my T shirt. Its only half cotton and half polyester.

I am thinking about putting the poly pros back into my pack. I might not keep a coat in my pack, but that poly pro shirt would be a heck of alot better than nothing if its cool at the time.

Funny thing, I have a decent amount of extra space in my BOB. I just don't want to carry it!

With my poly pros and the clothing I normally have on, I will be fine down to around 40 degrees with moderate activity. Once I stop, my sleeping bag would be necessary to stay warm. One more layer and I would be fine to around 20 degrees without much warmer clothes. 40 degrees and under, I will grab the extra bag with rain/wind proof outerware.

My GHB  comes with me when I travel. It has enough warm clothing to get home, but nothing special.

I just realized that I have a duffle that is perfect for my grab bag. I guess I will retire the plastic bags!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am trying as hard as I can to keep my BOB light weight. Infact, it isn't too bad at 31 lbs loaded, including back pack and shelter (thanks thereisnospoon). Add another 14 lbs. for my chest rig. and you have a reasonable load. (My back pack for work weighs 25 lbs.)

I don't carry alot of extra clothing, especially in the summer. I will be carrying a set of poly pros in the winter. All year around I will have 1 pair nylon pants, 1 extra pair of undies, 2 pairs of socks, and one extra T shirt.

In the winter, I don't plan on having an extra coat or alot of extra clothes in my pack. If I am running out the door, I have a bag ready to go with cold weather clothing that I can grab if I am not properly attired. My plan is to be properly clothed when I leave the house. My coat is in the closet by the door as well as my insulated boots.

Tell me where I am wrong. What do you consider essential for survival in any climate?

I know I am asking really basic questions, but believe that its critical to re-examine my equipment on a regular basis. Especially on easy days at home like today.

Ditch th nylon outer garments or under garments for that matter, nylon melts and will make getting near a fire to warm yourself difficult. JMHO

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I repack my bag for winter or summer.
I don't carry extra shirts, pants etc for hiking...... if i'm out that long i'll wash them in the creek.
My extra clothes 3-4 pair of wool socks (summer or winter) for winter polypros and or underamor type stuff  fleece jacket, wool gloves, watch cap and i'm good for most anything texas, ok or ar has to offer....

I prefer to stay a little on the cool side while moving so i dont sweat a bunch in the winter it prevents me from being cold when i stop..... just what works for me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditch th nylon outer garments or under garments for that matter, nylon melts and will make getting near a fire to warm yourself difficult. JMHO

I haven't had an major problems with them yet. On the plus side, they block wind really well. They are big enough to fit over my regular pants and make a double layer, triple with the poly pros I just put back in.

Now I don't have nearly the amount of room I had before.

I would like to hear more thoughts on the nylon pants. The rest of my clothing is poly pro or wool based.

I am up to 32 lbs. for the pack with 14 lb. chest rig if its necessary. All I added was the poly pros, soap, and medicine!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My GHB  comes with me when I travel. It has enough warm clothing to get home, but nothing special.

does it come with you in the car everywhere you go?  a trip across town might be when you need it...

(sounds like you're pretty set, so I'm betting you have a GHB in your car, but I can't NOT double-check...)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

does it come with you in the car everywhere you go?  a trip across town might be when you need it...

(sounds like you're pretty set, so I'm betting you have a GHB in your car, but I can't NOT double-check...)

You are right to double check!

I don't go into "town" (cities) unless I am working. In that case, I always have my back pack/laptop case with me. It has basics that I can carry on the plane with me. My suit case has the rest of my GHB supplies. I always have a flash light, knife, and money on me when I am out and about while traveling. Most of the time my suitcase comes with me as well. Sometimes it stays in the hotel.

At home, I don't go anywhere I would need alot of stuff. I always have enough clothing with me for the weather and could easily walk home if required in a few hours. At home I also have my CCW, and other stuff that isn't plane friendly. A few water bottles top it off just fine for my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top