Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 9:24:25 AM EDT
Is there anyway to combine the propane in equal size containers? I have a few 1/2 full and evreyone wants trade-in price regardless whether they have propane or not.If there is a part you can buy a link would be appreciated.M
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there anyway to combine the propane in equal size containers? I have a few 1/2 full and evreyone wants trade-in price regardless whether they have propane or not.If there is a part you can buy a link would be appreciated.M

Good idea to try to save fuel if it is scarce and expensive!

Not saying you should try this.

Attach a hose between the two cylinders.

Put one in an ice bath or cool it some way, get the other one warm some way. Invert the warmer one and elevate it above the cooler one.

Weigh the cooler one and stop filling it when it's rated capacity is reached.

If the warmer one has a safety valve, etc and there is no flow if inverted, stand straight up but it will be slower since you will be transfering vapor instead of liquid.

Be sure to purge the air from the hose first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If there are any propane dealers near you, ( the ones that make deliveries to peoples homes) such as Amerigas, they should be willing to fill your tanks with only the amount that you need to top them off.  That's the way I do mine. My local provider has a little "filling station" right at the end of there main storage tank, complete with a gauge so you know how many gals. that they put in.

I'd stay away from places that exchange only.  You might not always get a completely full tank for your exchange.  I bought a guage from Harbor Freight just to keep an eye on how much is in there.

You can get an adapter (also from Harbor Freight) that you can use to transfer from a 20# tank to a 1# tank, and the instructions advise just what EPXY37 said, but I don't know of any connectors that will go between two tanks of the same size.  And if you were able to do that, unless you did heat one and cool the other, all you will wind up doing is equalizing the pressure between the two tanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Xfer no idea but

I bought a gas gage from Lowes or home depot (same as Harbor frieght one?)
Paid for itself in two tanks since it will tell you well the tank gets low
Use till it is yellow then watch it close
It IS empty on red but will run on yellow a while
I would just grill alot and use up one then fill it while I use the other

I got lucky and I have 3 tanks but I grill A BUNCH
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I called about the propane fill but they charge the same as an exchange...go figure.M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top