Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:47:24 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting a new flashlight, a new Cree Q5 or P2 bin light.

I really like the idea of the output of the CR123 battery lights.  200 lumens!  

That kind of output can probably help in self defense at night.  But from the survival standpoint, I think you'll need to be REAL lucky to find any CR123 if you are caught unprepared.  The AA lights don't offer the same output, but can run with Lithium, Alk, or Rechargeable in a battery that is commonplace all over.

I suppose it comes down to if your SHTF scenario is a Zombie apocalypse, or attacked by tactical Mall-Ninjas.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've personally settled on AA for anything really important. All that remains is to replace my Fenix P2D, a CR123 unit, with the AA-power L2T as my on-the-belt light. One hundred fifty-two lumens for 2.5 hours, sixteen for 32 hours will do the trick.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an L1D CE / L2D.
I purchased the L1D, and the L2D tube for an extra 15 bucks...  Cheap at the time.  I thought I would use the L2D more, but the L1D is much more portable on the belt.

I was thinking to upgrade to the Q5.  That would put the single AA L1D at near the Turbo of my light with the 2 AA tube (L1D Q5 120 lumens vs. older L2D 135 lumens.)  Now I read 175 lumens for the L2D Q5...  Like BRD, I want more lumens!  

BTW, they now sell a cap for $3.50 for the tubes.  Good container to carry spare batteries, and to convert light to 1 or 2 AA light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
SUREFIRE.

Batts are exspensive but the shelf live is awesome!

Outdoor world Nitrolon G2 $32 and

a "box" of 123's /  12 for $21 or 72 for $126

shelf life 10 years.

nuff said
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Like another said, Fenix L2D.

Stock Lithium AA's and run alkalines, rechargables or if TSHTF, lithiums.

AA's are available most everywhere and usually cheap.

If you have any equip that uses CR123's or have reason to believe you will have access to that type of battery, it wouldn't hurt to have a P1D or some similar LED light that can be set to go easy on the batts as a backup/suppliment.

Whatever you do make sure your light is an LED type, preferably a CREE LED at this time.

ETA, If possible make sure your light has different brightness settings to be able to conserve your batts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Surefire for me too. I'm a little slow in the game as I have only just started changing out to LED's.

I bought a lot of batteries on sale when they were something like $16 a dozen. I'm good to go for a long time.

BT
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I try and run AA for most of my stuff. I have a charger for the rechargeable ones. Its easier for me to stock up on a bunch of AA's and I can find them most anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Part of my thinking is what if I can't get to my stash, or need to bug out.  I don't want to drag a wagon of batteries with me.  AA is available anywhere.  Is my tinfoil too tight thinking like that?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Part of my thinking is what if I can't get to my stash, or need to bug out.  I don't want to drag a wagon of batteries with me.  AA is available anywhere.  Is my tinfoil too tight thinking like that?  

Nope!

I have an older Fenix AA single cell light I keep on the nightstand.

When my Degen 1105 radio batteries went bad I put one of them in the fenix. It lit up and has had a usable beam for a month + now and is still going fairly strong -not like a new battery by any means.

So the lesson is don't throw your old batteries away, they may work in other euipment.

The Fenix's are designed to suck every last drop of juice out of a battery unlike most other flashlights.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the high output LED's as much as the next guy and have a decent number myself. The 123 batteries are great for them.

What you have to realize is that during a real SHTF even. You will use a very low output light 1000 times more than that eye blazing light blaster. For the real work lights, the AA batteries are king. I love the run time of the energizer lithiums. I can carry a couple of sets and have enough light to last for a couple of months of normal usage.

I have actually spent alot more time looking for and buying very low output lights. On my last night hike, I brought a surefire and realized that it was way, way to damn bright for looking at a compass. Fortunately, I had a clear bottomed compass and I shined it at the ground and looked through the compass. Then one of my nephews pointed out how it would be really easy to see us outside of the woods. Infact, the surfire L4 was so bright that my night vision was effected.

So, I have my eye burners for home and personal defense, but the real work horse is a Fenix or one of my other low output lights.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
That's why I like my Fenix L1D CE.  Very handy with the 4 output levels, the level increments are quite good.  It's like having a few lights in one.

I have no worries about durability, I've used mine at work for a year now, and dropped it several times.  Once from a suspended ceiling on tile over concrete floor.    
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's why I like my Fenix L1D CE.  Very handy with the 4 output levels, the level increments are quite good.  It's like having a few lights in one.

I have no worries about durability, I've used mine at work for a year now, and dropped it several times.  Once from a suspended ceiling on tile over concrete floor.    

Ayup. Love my L1D. Half again as much output as a G2 on it's highest setting, runs ~25 hours off a single AA in the 9 lumin setting, small enough for EDC, strobe setting for those disco moments. What's not to love?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish they would come out with AA weapon lights so i could standardize.
Last time i looked their werent any (that may have changed).

I'm set with good led handhelds and headlamps that use AA but stuck with 123's for weaponlights
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
SUREFIRE.

shelf life 10 years.

nuff said

So a box of 12 batteries equals 6 sets, right? At a run time of ~60 min a set? So $21 gets you 6 hours of runtime?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#14]
i have a fenix p2d Q5 with a L1d body for an extra 15 bucks

I use it with the 123's daily but can switch to AA when needed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
SUREFIRE.

shelf life 10 years.

nuff said

So a box of 12 batteries equals 6 sets, right? At a run time of ~60 min a set? So $21 gets you 6 hours of runtime?

Get a LED drop-in and you'll get MUCH MORE runtime. hen I consider them two different animals. The voltage output of CR123's are much closer to the vf of current high power LEDs, helping the circuit run more efficiently, and they allow for a smaller package. AA lights are longer and usually just as thick.

Like previously mentioned, for a true SHTF situation, you'll likely use low level lighting much more than high power lighting. Stick with 5mm LEDs as they are much more efficient than the current crop of 'high-power' LEDs.

edit: BTW, why are you guys looking at Q5's and P2's? R2's are available!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Haven't seen any lights with R2's available yet...  Maybe I should wait?

I mentioned before, I'm leaning strong for Fenix, because I have the second tube to switch between 1 and 2 AA use.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Will the Fenix TK10 fit the standard weapons mount for a flashlight?

I am currently drooling over one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
SUREFIRE.

shelf life 10 years.

nuff said

Get a LED drop-in and you'll get MUCH MORE runtime.

AA's make sense if you're trying to standardize on a common cell, but CR123's are just more fun when it comes to high power, compact lights. I consider them two different animals. The voltage output of CR123's are much closer to the vf of current high power LEDs, helping the circuit run more efficiently, and they allow for a smaller package. AA lights are longer and usually just as thick.

Like previously mentioned, for a true SHTF situation, you'll likely use low level lighting much more than high power lighting. Stick with 5mm LEDs as they are much more efficient than the current crop of 'high-power' LEDs.

My fenix L1D is smaller then my G2 in every dimension, puts out 90 lumins compared to 60 lumins from the G2 and can be dialed down to 9 lumins for long term (twenty some odd hours off of a single AA) use.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#19]
With my luck someone would have bought all the AA batteries already because their shtf event matches up with my shtf event.

I am going to try some rechargables in a little coleman led light I just got once I see how the alkalines do in it.  The flashlight uses 3 AAA batteries and it has low output red or blue leds and high output clear led.

Until recently I was not real impressed with the variable output leds but these days they are doing pretty well and I can see winding up with fewer lights being needed.

I am waiting to see what happens with weapon lights though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:57:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I wish they would come out with AA weapon lights so i could standardize.
Last time i looked their werent any (that may have changed).

I'm set with good led handhelds and headlamps that use AA but stuck with 123's for weaponlights

Ya, I'm in the same boat. I have AA and AAA lights, but my surefire and pentagon are 123As. I remember reading about Fenix lights being used as weapons lights a while ago w/ some sucsess; I would imagine an LED takes shock better than a xeon bulb even w/o a reinforced bezel but I haven't looked into it in a while...

Hopefully someone will chime in on that one.

Speed
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SUREFIRE.

shelf life 10 years.

nuff said

G2 LED Nitrolon runtime is 12 hrs.       SO $21 gets you 72 hrs of runtime.

For night vision ALWAYS use a red or blue filter.  Who uses white light at night for navigation, heck yeah your night vision is effected.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a small edc type light in AA format.  Then use rechargeable NiMh AA batteries.

Lumapower LM31
Fenix L1Dce
Nitecore D10SmartPD
Lumapower Connexion
Olight T15

Those are some of the more common, better built single AA lights I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My fenix L1D is smaller then my G2 in every dimension, puts out 90 lumins compared to 60 lumins from the G2 and can be dialed down to 9 lumins for long term (twenty some odd hours off of a single AA) use.

Isn't it rather embarrassing that Surefire always seems to be at least one or two steps behind the Chinese? When I first started to shop for something more than my Maglite and Mini Maglites, I was shocked at how much more advanced Fenix was compared to "the industry leader" Surefire. When I tested my P2D Cree I was pleased to see it actually performed slightly better than the advertised specs. Durability has been superb. Even though I try to avoid buying Chinese whenever possible, Fenix lights are just so much better than Surefire I can't let patriotism blind me to the facts.

BTW, I agree with other respondents who have opined long battery life at lower power settings is more important than eyebrow-scorching max. lumens for an emergency/SHTF flashlight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Go here and use the code "FFF5" for a 5% discount.  You're welcome.  :)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

For night vision ALWAYS use a red or blue filter.  Who uses white light at night for navigation, heck yeah your night vision is effected.  

If you look at the runtime graphs for the Fenix, you get significantly more efficient use out of the 2-cell vs. the 1-cell.  Energizer Lithium: 1 cell - 31:57, 2-cell 86:06.
L1D/L2D CE runtimes

For a $20 pack of 12 Lithium AAs, that gives me over 500 hours of runtime.  That's the emergency Lithium stash, without even scrounging around all the no longer needed items for AA batteries.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you look at the runtime graphs for the Fenix, you get significantly more efficient use out of the 2-cell vs. the 1-cell.  Energizer Lithium: 1 cell - 31:57, 2-cell 86:06.
L1D/L2D CE runtimes

For a $20 pack of 12 Lithium AAs, that gives me over 500 hours of runtime.  That's the emergency Lithium stash, without even scrounging around all the no longer needed items for AA batteries.  

You've gotta love the size of the L1D for EDC though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top