Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 6:41:07 AM EDT
 I live in a suburb just north of Dallas (20miles). I have no viable BOL. I am prepping based on a 30 day SHTF probably weather related with loss of elec,etc.Worse case would be say a dirty bomb going of in downtown Dallas.

Now here's the problem. Let's say that I have to sell all my firearms except for 2. What 2 would you keep and why?

Here is a list of the firearms in question

DPMS AR-15
Norinco SKS
Sar 1 AK
Marlin 9mm Carbine
Hi-point 9mm Carbine
Puma .357 Mod. 92
LE #4 Mk 1 longbranch
Rem. Mod 710  30.06

Win. Defender  12ga
Baikal SxS 12ga
Traditions(Fausti) O/U 12ga
Rossi 12ga/.223 single shot

Norinco .45  1911
taurus 24/7  .45
Sigma 9mm
pt 111  9mm
S&W L frame .357
Charter Arms .38
Taurus 2" .357

So!  Which 2 would you keep?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep the AR and the Sigma 9.  The first for reaching out if necesary, the last for close in defense.  I would have chosen a shotty for the close in, but a pistol also gives you some concealability if it's needed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote for the ar and the 45  with the shotgun if a 3rd is an option

that is quite the assortment you have there.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming some form of financial hardship is forcing the sale of said firearms, the price of ammo becomes a concern. In that respect, I would keep the Marlin 9mm or the Hi-point (I'll get flamed for this one) and the Sigma 9mm. You still have the ability to reach out, albeit not as far, but now you only have to purchase 1 type of ammo. This minimizes future expenses and consolidates your supply. Now if you already have enough ammo (What's that?) for your AR, then by all means, I agree with the previous post.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I vote Sigma and AR or Sigma and AK..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I say the AR and the 2" .357.  

The AR for being able to handle almost any defense/E&E scenario and the .357 for concealability & stopping power.  Commonality of both calibers for scrounging for ammo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Puma .357 Mod. 92
S&W L Frame Revolver .357 Magnum

I listed three and not two for one reason. Out of the entire list you posted. The Rossi does not have a high resell value. But it has an excellent value as a hunting weapon. With the combo option you have the ability to hunt both small game and large game. Yeah, it's .223 Remington. Blah, blah, blah.... I've taken plenty of hog with the standard 55Gr Soft Tip. These were huge hogs too, not some mid western Javelina. With the other firearms sold you can keep the single shot along with the wheel gun and lever action.

I also choose the Puma and the Wheel Gun for three reasons. First, the .357 Magnum cartridge is also an excellent game gathering round out of a lever action rifle/carbine. Second, both calibers work for the same firearm. Third... no magazines to store and remember about. A lever Action and a Revolver are still both proven firearm designs. With Speed Loaders you can reload a Wheel Gun just as fast as a semi-auto pistol and even though a Lever Action takes a little longer to reload, once you get down to practice and know the limitation of your rifle you can be damn pretty good. Also both the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum are proven self defense cartridges.

You're not going to be looking for firefights when the SHTF. You're going to be trying to secure your home and keep yourself and your loved ones safe. A wheel gun, lever action, and single shot rifle/shotgun combo can do that.

Most people think that they need the most tactical whiz bang piece of gear out there to do the job. But remember this... a .22 in the hand is better then a .45 in the safe. A firearm is better then no firearm. Hell, that why I'm happy that DC Residents can now legally own firearm (though DC is still trying to fuck people over but that's another area of discussion). Even though DC said revolvers only, a revolver is better then a phone and 911.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Just for clarification purposes, is this two firearm selection for you or two firearms to be used by two people, including yourself?

In my mind, if you only need to outfit yourself, the AR-15 and the Sigma or PT111 in 9mm would be best, simply because of ammo availability.

If you are outfitting yourself and a second person, I'd go with the AR-15 and the Winchester Defender as the two choices.

Based on your rather eclectic firearms collection, if you want to minimize things and get to more of robust SHTF collection (as I did), I recommend the following:

*Keep the AR-15, SAR 1, Winchester Defender, one of the .357s, the 1911 and possibly the 30-06 (covers all of the bases this way).
*Liquidate the remaining firearms
*Purchase either a Glock 19/17 (I prefer 1911s but you can't beat the price of a Glock or the availability of 9mm)
*Either get a second AR-15 (either 16 or 20 version) or use any left over money for ammo

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
1. The concealable handgun you shoot the best.
2. The rifle/carbine you shoot the best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I vote for the ar and the 45  with the shotgun if a 3rd is an option

that is quite the assortment you have there.

Yeah. When I first started, I decided to assemble multiple "Platforms" based on different calibers!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I would keep the one I shoot the best or the one I had the most ammo for already on hand.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
AR and Norinco 1911. (and I'm not a 45 guy)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#12]
AK and the Smith revolver.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I would keep 3
Winchester shotgun
ar 15
handgun of choice
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The most reliable of these two rifles, or the one you have the most ammo or mags for if you find them equal.
DPMS AR-15
Sar 1 AK

Honestly the only pistol you own that I would rely on for a SHTF is the Smith, but I'd trade it in a heart beat for a decent hi cap. I really like the Smith M&P line but for the price of extra mags the Glock has a slight advantage.
So my final answer is get rid of all the pistols and get something that holds 15 rounds minimum and preferably starts with a 4.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't dismiss the AK so easily.  I have both and while I still shoot my AR better, I would think hard about not grabbing the SAR1.  Follow the logic for a minute or two and discuss

Typical range:  20 miles north of Dallas?  I live in Garland just north of Dallas and I would be hard pressed to find a defensive scenario that would require a shot further than 100-150 yards.  I've shot my SAR1 at 200 yards at Gibson's Outpost.  Man sized targets are not a big challenge.

Typical Engagement:  Sounds like you're going to be bugging in just right outside of one of the largest cities in the USA. Chances are your neighborhood would be crawling with zombie/hoodrats from Dallas if all hell broke loose.  20 miles is a long walk, so expect them to come in automobiles.  Not saying the 5.56 doesn't poke nice holes in auto's, but I think we can agree that the 7.62x39 will have more penetration.  Going back to the suburb scenario, you can turn cover into concealment easier with the 7.62 round.  Does your neighborhood have cars parked on the side of the street?  If you are defending your home what do you think they will hide behind?

Typical Ammo Cost: Yeah everything is going up in price, but 7.62x39 is still cheaper to stock up on.  

All that said, I would still grab one of my AR's, before grabbing the SAR1.  Why?  I'm faster and more accurate with my AR.  At least for now I am.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
AR, Winchester Defender, and whichever .45 you shoot best with...  You really selling?  I'm not far away, may be interested.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
My first choice would be either the Sigma or the 1911 which ever you shoot better with and prefer.  My second would depend on the area if you live in the city where long range shots would not be common I would go with the 12 guage it can be used for multiple roles depending on the type of ammo you use including some long range 50+ yards with slugs.  If your further out in the country I would go with the AR just because I like that platform over the AK but pick which one you prefer.  If you could keep 3 I would keep 1 pistol, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll play. Even by the rules... (no swaps, trades, upgrades, etc.)

I'd keep the DPMS AR-15 and the PT-111.

The AR is universally recognized as a LE and MIL weapon of choice. Makes it easy to blend in, be deputized, or simply cause people to keep their distance without any dialogue. It also breaks down easily for carry.

The PT-111 is a small, effective defense weapon. 10+1 9mm HP is all you should need...to get to your AR.

Also, the resale value on the PT-111 is low. Better to keep it. You'll get more for the others on the list.

You could easily fit this exact package into a laptop bag with extras.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep the AR and the 45.

The AR is an excellent all around rifle (ie assault, self defense, hunting etc.).  It's reliable and will serve you for a long time if you take care of it.

Depending on the situation, you may have the need for a concealable weapon.  That's where the 45 comes into play.  I would want something powerful enough that if I had to use it, I wouldn't want to expend a lot of ammo trying to take someone or something out.  You may not always get head shots.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
 I live in a suburb just north of Dallas (20miles). I have no viable BOL. I am prepping based on a 30 day SHTF probably weather related with loss of elec,etc.Worse case would be say a dirty bomb going of in downtown Dallas.

Now here's the problem. Let's say that I have to sell all my firearms except for 2. What 2 would you keep and why?

DPMS AR-15
Norinco SKS
Sar 1 AK
Marlin 9mm Carbine
Hi-point 9mm Carbine
Puma .357 Mod. 92
LE #4 Mk 1 longbranch
Rem. Mod 710  30.06

Win. Defender  12ga
Baikal SxS 12ga

Norinco .45  1911
taurus 24/7  .45
Sigma 9mm
pt 111  9mm
S&W L frame .357
Charter Arms .38
Taurus 2" .357

For gods sake i'd ditch those striken threw

If it was me...... I'd keep the sar1, defender ( i love these shotguns) and the s&w L frame.  The rest could be easily replaced........
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I would keep 3
Winchester shotgun
ar 15
handgun of choice

+1.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd go with the AR15 and the sigma 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Keep a military based rifle design using magazines.  Make sure it is reliable.  

Keep the handgun you use for ccw.

I can see unloading the rest and am somewhat doing something similar.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I would keep the Norinco 1911 and the SAR-1. You are going to need a handgun and a rifle in an SHTF situation and if you are limited to two then these are the ones I would pick. Reliability is the key. My experience with SAR-1s is that they are sterotypical of AK reliability and accurate enough out to 100 yards. I understand that Norinco 1911s are pretty unstoppable as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
i would sell them all but the AR, and buy a glock, hk, or sig.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#26]
My choices are AR 15 and a side arm, a 9mm. I have to agree with a couple of folks that in Plano/Richardson there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to reach out and crush someone. Chances are they don't know your there and shooting at them will just give away your position. So I said keep the AR because you can make a couple different rifles out of one lower receiver. Start with a 9mm upper so you have a good short range rifle them work from there. My buying plan for my AR is .40 S&W (Olympic arms k40) since a carry a .40, 6.8 spc, .50 beowulf, and .50 bmg. I already have the .22 conversion. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#27]

that's easy, keep the DPMS and the L frame. i would dump most all of them no matter what and buy a Glock or an XD and lots of mags and ammo for the pistol and AR.

my .02
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
AR, Winchester Defender, and whichever .45 you shoot best with...  You really selling?  I'm not far away, may be interested.

Not at this time. I'm trying to compile a "Must Keep" list in case I do have to access equity!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

DPMS AR-15
Norinco SKS
Sar 1 AK
Marlin 9mm Carbine
Hi-point 9mm Carbine
Puma .357 Mod. 92
LE #4 Mk 1 longbranch
Rem. Mod 710  30.06

Win. Defender  12ga
Baikal SxS 12ga

Norinco .45  1911
taurus 24/7  .45
Sigma 9mm
pt 111  9mm
S&W L frame .357
Charter Arms .38
Taurus 2" .357

AK for penetration and/or
Winchester Defender depending on what you will need to defend

And the pistol you shoot well or
Sell pistols to get one pistol with a higher cap mags

Also keep the Rossi due to low resale and you can use your 12/223 ammo
if low on these ammos sell it too

Also just don’t give your weapons away. Hold out for a decent price or you have wasted money.

My dime   (adjusted for inflation)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I wouldn't dismiss the AK so easily.  I have both and while I still shoot my AR better, I would think hard about not grabbing the SAR1.  Follow the logic for a minute or two and discuss

Typical range:  20 miles north of Dallas?  I live in Garland just north of Dallas and I would be hard pressed to find a defensive scenario that would require a shot further than 100-150 yards.  I've shot my SAR1 at 200 yards at Gibson's Outpost.  Man sized targets are not a big challenge.

Typical Engagement:  Sounds like you're going to be bugging in just right outside of one of the largest cities in the USA. Chances are your neighborhood would be crawling with zombie/hoodrats from Dallas if all hell broke loose.  20 miles is a long walk, so expect them to come in automobiles.  Not saying the 5.56 doesn't poke nice holes in auto's, but I think we can agree that the 7.62x39 will have more penetration.  Going back to the suburb scenario, you can turn cover into concealment easier with the 7.62 round.  Does your neighborhood have cars parked on the side of the street?  If you are defending your home what do you think they will hide behind?

Typical Ammo Cost: Yeah everything is going up in price, but 7.62x39 is still cheaper to stock up on.  

All that said, I would still grab one of my AR's, before grabbing the SAR1.  Why?  I'm faster and more accurate with my AR.  At least for now I am.

You and I are def. on the same page as far as worse-case scenarios go!!! I'm even trying to come up with a barricade plan for my neighborhood!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DPMS AR-15
Norinco SKS
Sar 1 AK
Marlin 9mm Carbine
Hi-point 9mm Carbine
Puma .357 Mod. 92
LE #4 Mk 1 longbranch
Rem. Mod 710  30.06

Win. Defender  12ga
Baikal SxS 12ga

Norinco .45  1911
taurus 24/7  .45
Sigma 9mm
pt 111  9mm
S&W L frame .357
Charter Arms .38
Taurus 2" .357

For gods sake i'd ditch those striken threw

If it was me...... I'd keep the sar1, defender ( i love these shotguns) and the s&w L frame.  The rest could be easily replaced........

Glad to see you stayed true to your sig line!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#32]
What is the situation regarding ammo?  How much do you have stocked?  Makes no sense to keep the AR if you have 1500 rounds of 7.62x39...

How about mags?  Spare parts?  Slings?  Holsters and Mag pouches?

Don't sell what you have to spend money on to refit....

That being said, I'd go with the AK and 1911.  7.62 is selling for less than .223/5.56.  1911 uses more expensive ammo, but good handgun is important.  

My advice, is you want it, is to figure out what you want to have in the long run, sell off what doesn't fit, and stack ammo and mags deep, while you still can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Keep the AR and either a .357 or the Sigma 9mm.  Ammo should be easy to find for any of these weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top