Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/11/2008 5:47:52 PM EDT
We may have a chance to get a BOL in the middle of nowhere. Well...  There are lots    of coyotes   What breed of dog would see a coyote and say "goody food"?
Thinking of Irish Wolfhound.

It''s a large place so room to roam is not a problem.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
More than one. I just read a story how a female coyote lured a german shepard out and the pack killed and ate it.

Whatever you get make sure it is good sized (doesn't have to be huge) and get more than one.

The truth is if you have a lot of coyotes you might want to keep your dogs in at night while you go hunting.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We may have a chance to get a BOL in the middle of nowhere. Well...  There are lots    of coyotes   What breed of dog would see a coyote and say "goody food"?

Thanks

Go with two Irish wolfhounds
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Think small not big.  I would rather have a small dog I could feed than a big dog that eats everything.  The best use of dogs is as a warning or intrusion detector.  A medium to small dog like an agile shepard or border collie would be high on my list.  If your dog gets into it with a coyote, you will still be patcing up the dog.  You really want to do that in a SHTF situation.  Not me.  I want a dog that says hey there is something there than I go shoot the something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We used to have these issues.

The pack of coyotes would lure our male dogs ( shepherds ) out with a female in heat. Then they would take his nuts. No joke.

I think a couple of pitbulls would give a pack of coyotes a really good run for their money.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks

A pair of Anatolian Shepherds. Anything comes unto my property gets killed, two opossums that amde the mistake fo coming into the backyard left in a bag.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
two female blue heelers - from the same litter if possible
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
beagles are not the toughest id imagine but they are loyal and work well in packs....a pack of beagles baying after a coyote-im not sure the coyotes would stick around you know.....

but they wouldn't think goody food seeing a coyote...
Im just suggestng beagles because i just got one and love him....So much natural hunting talent its ridiculous....How does he instinctively know he is meant to track rabbits?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We have two female red heelers from the same litter.  They've been going after coyotes since they were 5 months old, they are over 2 now.  They leave my girls alone, l let them have the run of the place when I'm working in the garage.  We're on 18 acres in the sticks.

Guy up the hill from me had a pitbull father, blue heeler mother and 3 puppies that ran loose all the time.  Coyotes got the pitbull, but never got the mother or puppies.  They're all growed up now.

Down the road from him the family there has 2 great danes that the coyotes keep trying to lure out.

Heelers are fiercely loyal and protective of their pack, have superb reflexes, can deal with the heat and actually a stronger bite than a pitbull.

Edited to add a picture of the girls.  They are even camoflaged, at least in Sedona.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z110/Howlin_Mad_pics/puppies/Sedona.jpg
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Go with two Irish wolfhounds
www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.JPG

WOW,

That is one tiny guy...
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
keep in mind the size and strength of the dog isnt gonna matter when a pack of coyotes are on it. One on one it would be a huge factor but a large wolfhound against 5 coyotes.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Two Pit Bulls, of course.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Caucasian Mountain Dog

Goood security dog :)
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Black Dog tastes Best...

CHEF

but, Boxers, GSD, Rots are my choices..
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
My aunt's neighbor neighbor has a small herd of goats.  He has two great Pyrenees (spelling?) that live with the herd.  They find coyotes with their backs snapped on a regular basis.  Most people think they are just big fluff balls but when it comes to protecting property they are all business.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
two female blue heelers - from the same litter if possible

I was thinking cattle dogs also.  Small, smart, mean, protective.

Great Pyrenees can do the job, but a huge dog, twice the food, half the life expectancy.

Poison works pretty good too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:09:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Catahoula.

I've never encountered a breed that was equally as capable a guard, hunter, cattle dog, and companion.

Rescue one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

A pair of Anatolian Shepherds. Anything comes unto my property gets killed, two opossums that amde the mistake fo coming into the backyard left in a bag.

+1
very impressed with them when I was stationed in turkey. Bred to protect sheep from wolves.......a pair should be able to handle a small pack of coyotes
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:09:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

+1
very impressed with them when I was stationed in turkey. Bred to protect sheep from wolves.......a pair should be able to handle a small pack of coyotes

My girl and boy are awesome, the male is actually part golden retriver we think as he was a pound rescue on a tip from an Anatolian rescue group. We purchased our girl from one of the best Anatolian breeders in the US.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#20]
1 red heeler

1 great pyreneese  (sp)?

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#21]

pit bulls, unlike the hype you hear are very intelligent dogs. Very loyal to their family.  good hunters. All around one of the best dog breeds I've had.  My pit is by far the smartest easily trainable dogs I have ever encountered.  He has never been in a fence or tied up and he is still here after 4 years.
 I take him in the woods quite often. One thing I love about him is he never barks in the woods UNLESS. He see's or hears a person.  Deer, rabbits , birds, he will chase, but he never barks at them. So I know , If he barks. There is someone out there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  The original African Lion Hound.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a big rottweiler growing up in the desert.  He would come home all the time tore up from the coyotes.  It you can find five pictures of him he woudl be wearing the "cone" in three or four of them.  I recently took both my dogs (golden retrievers) to off leash dog school.  It was a lot easier training them than the mastiffs or bulldogs that were there.  Take a look at a list of inate dog intelligence before you make your pick.  German shepards and Rotts are both quick.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Catahoula Leopard Dog.  www.bulldoginformation.com/catahoula-leopard.html

Check these guys out.  They were bread for hunting wild boars in Louisiana, so they're big, tough and good in the heat.  They are a mix of Red Wolf, Mastiff and American Indian Dog, and they end up with nice coloring and sound like just the trick for what you're looking for.  

I got mine a couple months ago and at 3 months he was 15 pounds, he'll be 5 months in 2 days and weighs in around 42 now, he's going to be huge.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Dog breed for SHTF??? hmmm thats not a hard choice....

A doberman is what I will have until I die...SHTF or not.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#26]
That reminds me of an article I read many years ago about employing pits as pack mules due to their small size and efficiency and uncanny ability and drive to move alot of weight.Wouldn't be too bad to have around for getting to or from BOL on foot.A pair of females from the same litter would be good as someone else suggested.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Blue Heeler...I have owned many types of working dogs(no house shiteaters ever) and this blue heeler that I have now is by far the best family dog ever. She stays on the farm. My neighbors do not know I even have dog until they come to my house. She will fight anything to protect the family. I have seen her whip coons that were almost as big as she is. Pound for pound I won't want to fight her.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#28]
This thread has me wondering what a Timber Wolf / Blue Heeler cross would be like. Wolves hate Coyotes & Coyotes are afraid of Wolves.

ETA:

I used to have a dog that was a Black Lab / Border Collie / Norweigan Elk Hound cross. She was smart & was good at killing animals that dogs normally leave alone.

I used to watch her when I fed her in the morning. She'd eat about half of her food & then would go underneath the portch (her dish was in front of the portch). Sure enough about 5 minutes later, Blue Jays would show up to eat some dog food only to have their bodies broken by my dog. She was hell on rabbits & coons too.

And whenever any of the family came home, that dog would clear the yard as we were coming down the driveway.

And the Coyotes never messed with her.

I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

+1,000

The BEST! I have one and am getting another. The most loyal and protective dog I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#30]
leonbergers-  think of it as a mix of st bernard, great pyr and newfoundland.  at 200lbs of muscular working dog nothing challenges it.  and they are sweet as pie too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#31]
At least two dogs, but a fricking burro will kick a coyote's ass
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

+1

My girl and boy are awesome, the male is actually part golden retriver we think as he was a pound rescue on a tip from an Anatolian rescue group. We purchased our girl from one of the best Anatolian breeders in the US.

Who is the breeder...? have thought about getting one some day but dont have a clue about finding a good breeder
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Hoizon Anatolians Sheryle is great and was very very blunt about how different they are than regular dogs.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1

Also +1 on the Great Pyrennese

Seen them both kick the shit out of coyotes.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't forget the Guinea.  They will alert you quick than a dog.  Granted, they will lose in a fight though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Doberman, Rott, GSD or Pit if you have experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Dog breed for SHTF??? hmmm thats not a hard choice....

mikedoberman.com/images/doberman%20&%20fireman.jpg

A doberman is what I will have until I die...SHTF or not.

a big +1.  I have a black and tan.  Fast and can go all day.  They do require a lot of activity, but a great dog.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I think there are different answers depending on particular circumstances you face but I will tell you what I am going to get when I have my own land in the boonies.  I am going to get two german sheperds and two Alaskan malamutes.  I pity any pour bastarrd that wanders into my property.  The german sheperds are good watchdogs and they do have a certain intimidation factor.  Malamutes are not good watch dogs as far as warning you because they do not really bark but they woulld make quick work of any intruders.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#39]
2 GSDs
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Bring the coyotes

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#41]
AKC dogs are bread to meet physical standard which in turns leads dog that are prone to disease and temperament issues. I prefer natural selection. I recommend mixed bread dogs. get a couple of mutts in the size of dog that you prefer. And have both a male and female then you can have a puppy farm, pets or meat, your choice.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hoizon Anatolians Sheryle is great and was very very blunt about how different they are than regular dogs.

Ive seen them in their working enviroment when I was stationed in sinop turkey and they are impressive........do they fit in well in a situation without live stock ? anything I need to be aware of having one as a companion dog ?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,000

The BEST! I have one and am getting another. The most loyal and protective dog I have ever seen.
Amen!  I have 2, of uncertain parentage, but RR's to the core of their little doggy souls!

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#44]
English Mastiff hands down!! They have a history for being fighting and war dogs they where also used to hunt deer that is why the king of England made all Mastiff have there center toe cut off so they could not be used to hunt the kings deer.

They are also your best friend and loyal as hell to you and your family.They might be lazy and lay around a lot when it comes to protecting family and home seeing them move is like watch a video where the lion is going after its pray.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#45]
one of the smaller colleges around here does a lot of research on goats.  the school is in a smaller town and they have thousands of goats.  they have anatolians and great pyranees to protect the goats from the coyotes.  we went to a seminar there and they said the dogs usually will wander around alone or w/ one other dog.  they also said that quite often they find four or five new coyotes dead and left in the same area.

we have a red heeler and a blue heeler pup, the woman we got the blue heeler from said her heelers quite often kill coyotes.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]
My great dane, Chief passed away last October.  He weighed 185 pounds.  Lean and mean...we had coyotes, but they did not dare come around.... after his death, they came round the house in incredible numbers because of his absence: he had kept them away.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Yup.  All the folks around here who have goats will put a donkey , burro, or mule out with them as protection against the coyotes and other predators.

pissed off mule

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Think small not big.  I would rather have a small dog I could feed than a big dog that eats everything.  The best use of dogs is as a warning or intrusion detector.  A medium to small dog like an agile shepard or border collie would be high on my list.  If your dog gets into it with a coyote, you will still be patcing up the dog.  You really want to do that in a SHTF situation.  Not me.  I want a dog that says hey there is something there than I go shoot the something.

Yea cuz criminals are scared of little dogs
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Dogos Argentino, lots of Dogos Argentino.

Bigger does not mean better, A Dogo isn’t a gigantic dog, but it will easily kill any bigger dog. Unfortunately that's why so many assholes are breeding them for pit fights, ruining the excellent characteristics these animals were meant to have. It’s also THE hunting dog for wild boar.
Cugars, mountain lions, you name it, a bunch of Dogos will kill it.

These coyotes will just be appetizers for him.

Even one on one a Dogo will generally kill most wild animals if trained properly. One of Norez’s Dogo killed a full grown bull, and the Dogo weighted like 60 pounds or so.

The Pit Bull is pretty similar on the outside, but lacks the cool temper the Dogo has.

FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
AKC dogs are bread to meet physical standard which in turns leads dog that are prone to disease and temperament issues. I prefer natural selection. I recommend mixed bread dogs. get a couple of mutts in the size of dog that you prefer. And have both a male and female then you can have a puppy farm, pets or meat, your choice.

We had an austrailian sheppard/doberman mix.  Smartest animal I ever saw...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top