Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 12:38:16 PM EDT
dcist.com/2008/06/04/mpd_to_seal_off.php

height=8
Potential Neighborhood Safety Zones must be approved by the Chief of Police, and will be in effect for a maximum of 10 days. Public safety checks will be established along the main thoroughfares of the established neighborhoods. Anyone driving into a designated area may be asked to show valid identification with a home address in that neighborhood, or to provide an explanation for entering the NSZ, such as attending church, a doctor’s appointment or visiting friends or relatives. Pedestrians will not be subject to the public safety checks.

height=8
Initiatives such as the Neighborhood Safety Zones have been accepted by federal courts as a legitimate law enforcement practice in keeping with the Constitution’s Fourth Amendment. The constitutionality of the NSZ initiative has been reviewed by the D.C. Office of the Attorney General.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 1.  Awaiting firestorm of controversy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
1st there was door-to-door asking to search houses, now they are locking down whole neighborhoods?  

Is this just practice for what is coming next?  (locking down whole neighborhoods for forced searches, for you safety, of course)

I'm not sure I can handle this kind of 'change'.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
and obama is the enemy???
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
This should be good..

The song is written   "Land of the Free"  correct??
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Reminds me of back in '93 when Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelley tried to get the authority to deploy the National Guard at night and install flood lights everywhere on the same side of town.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

seriously
I wonder what happened to the constitution?  did it just get wadded up and thrown away?

Pretty fucking sad
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in favor of sealing off DC, but my plan would differ slightly.
I'd do it while congress was in session and the plan would not let anyone out of the District of Communism while we established Free America.

IOP1!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
damn NaSZ's
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW, just wow, I'd tell them to get bent if they stopped me and if they hasseled me in any way, Id get their badge and department info and sue the living shit out of them for violating my civil liberties.  Although I'm sure the ACLU would be absolutely NO help, lol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The DC leadership are some of the biggest scumbags there are and if the people wanted to burn down their world I could care less and even think it's about time they did.
It's a local thing though right now and the people there have gotten too complacent.

I don't look at it just yet as being a national problem because different cities and town have different people that make it up and hold it together and their are good and bad people in all areas of a community from the leadership, law enforcement and the people. In the end the Mayor and law enforcement need the people on their side to do anything cause if they don't and truely make it where the people have had enough and become their enemy with the decision to make them pay. They will pay and not to be able to handle the numbers.
If things like this go big time you can bet it won't be long before cops die and homes and property burn.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#12]
This will be interesting to watch.  

The part that I think they will have a problem with is that if they require you to show that you have an address in that area to enter or pass thru.    Last time I checked this was America.  

Someone will probably challenge this and try to take it to the Supreme Court.

I do feel for the good people who suffer gang violence in their neiborhoods.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
WTF! I thought this was America, not post-war Berlin.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The part that I think they will have a problem with is that if they require you to show that you have an address in that area to enter or pass thru.    Last time I checked this was America.  

Well,ts time for them to take back their neiborhoods the not so polite way, the Drug/gun free zone signs obviously should help with the removal of the drug dealers/gang bangers/wannabe thugs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Many will say its OK because the people are black and because it is DC/crime capitol.
To those folks, I'd like to say:
This is the start of the long slippery slide that ends with this (and worse) happening to EVERYONE. No matter what your prejudice, this cannot be allowed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The sheep will welcome this action.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#17]
German accent: Papers please

It happens one step at a time , this is a test run.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Re-elect Marion Barry! This is a violation of our rights. Next thing you know we will have a national ID card or .GOV will mandate everyone has a passport.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#19]
DC also has a really contraversial anti prostitution law where by a convicted woman can be charged for walking  or driving through a designated protitution area.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Re-elect Marion Barry! This is a violation of our rights. Next thing you know we will have a national ID card or .GOV will mandate everyone has a passport.

That is only a short time away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously
I wonder what happened to the constitution?  did it just get wadded up and thrown away?

Pretty fucking sad

Pretty much what has happened and will continue to happen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#22]
How many nazis were killed and how many American soldiers died to stop this same activity in Europe?

The only "papers" that should be handed to any gestapo agent that chooses to enforce such draconian actions are a copy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well,ts time for them to take back their neiborhoods the not so polite way, the Drug/gun free zone signs obviously should help with the removal of the drug dealers/gang bangers/wannabe thugs.

I hope you didn't think that my post was condoning them doing this.
There are times when sealing off areas are OK(exigent circumstances/crime scene etc.), however... Just saying this neighborhood seems like it can use a break so we go into lockdown mode for 10 days just doesn't meet the smell test.  

Terry vs Ohio comes to mind as well as others.  

I agree that they should take back their neighborhoods.   However, there has to be a big change in the way that the neighbors think and act for that to work.

Cooperation with LE is important.  Many times the Police respond only to have no witnesses, or victims cooperate and yet they expect miracles/results.  Many fear retaliation, percieved or real.

Still I think that this is one to watch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The sheep will welcome this action.

I spoke with a D.C. resident this morning who "applaud this action". I got the old "I've got nothing to hide" line of reasoning from her.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:05:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Sadly, they are going after the wrong criminals in DC.  The people the cops SHOULD round up are in the Congress.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm in favor of sealing off DC, but my plan would differ slightly.
I'd do it while congress was in session and the plan would not let anyone out of the District of Communism while we established Free America.

IOP1!

I like this plan.  As for the other one...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:10:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope you didn't think that my post was condoning them doing this.
There are times when sealing off areas are OK(exigent circumstances/crime scene etc.), however... Just saying this neighborhood seems like it can use a break so we go into lockdown mode for 10 days just doesn't meet the smell test.  

Terry vs Ohio comes to mind as well as others.  

I agree that they should take back their neighborhoods.   However, there has to be a big change in the way that the neighbors think and act for that to work.

Cooperation with LE is important.  Many times the Police respond only to have no witnesses, or victims cooperate and yet they expect miracles/results.  Many fear retaliation, percieved or real.

Still I think that this is one to watch.

A big part of the problem is that many D.C. police officers are PART of the criminal element. This is not a bash against cops in general, I am simply stating what can be found in a Google search. It is a FACT that many Federal and State LE agencies will NOT share source sensitive information with D.C., PG or Montgomery County,MD police for this very reason.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#28]
There was a lady on the news saying that people were coming up from Northern Virginia to DC and causing trouble.  Fine you stop coming down here and we'll stop coming up there :)
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#30]
This bugs me, but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee today:

Police will search cars if they suspect the presence of guns or drugs, and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer, officials said.

Copied from Washington Post article.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#31]
They're making this too difficult.  I once worked a detail in an extremely high crime area that cleaned out the problem in one shift.  If the City had been serious about fighting crime we could have cleared and held that area permanently.  Oh, it required hard work by the way.

Our chief of police made a bet with the Sheriff that the Sheriff couldn't do any better at clearing out the problem than the city PD had.  Twenty bucks and a ton of ego satisfaction was on the line.  

We didn't do checkpoints, or random door kicking, we didn't even dress up in tacticool gear and rappel down a building.  All we did was STRICT traffic enforcement in the assigned area using four marked cars.  Anyone who's ever worked traffic knows they can stop anyone anytime for something if they look at them hard enough.  The order of the day was to disregard race and to just pull over everything in sight.  We towed so many cars we were running out of wreckers; expired tags, stolen, DUI, etc.  There were so many arrests for outstanding warrants and such that we had to have a bus to haul the prisoners.  If you came up clean on warrants, your car had the right plates on it, and you weren't impaired, you were given a warning for the traffic infraction and a brief explanation of what we were doing.  By the end of the shift we were down to parking half of our cars and were out walking on foot and visiting with the locals.  We could have easily kept up the pressure with just one car doing traffic in the area at that point.  

Well, the Sheriff won his bet and we had to pull out of the area.  Things were then allowed to get back to business as usual and the residents, the bulk of whom were law-abiding folks, were put back in misery.  The Sheriff used to rant about how we already had the tools to do the job if the Establishment really was serious about helping neighborhoods like that.  That's the rub.  The System feeds off the misery of these neighborhoods and just pays lip service to helping them after it deprives them of the means to take care of themselves.  

J.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Hey where's Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson.  Both should be up and arms about this .

I'll be damned if I have to go through a so-called" safe zone check point".  Last time I experienced that was a Marshall Law during the Marcos regime.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sadly, they are going after the wrong criminals in DC.  The people the cops SHOULD round up are in the Congress.

Yes, although not just congress...

The police state is on the move
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This bugs me, but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee today:

Police will search cars if they suspect the presence of guns or drugs, and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer, officials said.

Copied from Washington Post article.

Bug you?  How come?  Cause failing to obey orders is now illegal?  The master only has our best interests at heart.  If we didn't follow the master's orders... then we could cause trouble.

This may sound just like slavery... but we actually live in a free country

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I just sent emails to my senators and congressman on this issue.  I urge everyone to do the same.

Contact info below:

http://www.gunowners.org/cci.htm
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I just sent emails to my senators and congressman on this issue.  I urge everyone to do the same.

Contact info below:

http://www.gunowners.org/cci.htm

I just did the same!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
This should be good..

The song is written   "Land of the Free"  correct??

I keep asking what's free about it..... If I gotta pay for permission from the government to have a pet, re-roof my house, drive a car, or to pay a tribute for the privilege of earning a living....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seriously

Pretty fucking sad

Wasn't it Jay Leno that said instead of waiting for them to writ their own, we should give our constitution to Iraq: It's served us well for over 200 years and we aren't using it anymore....
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
They're making this too difficult.  I once worked a detail in an extremely high crime area that cleaned out the problem in one shift.  If the City had been serious about fighting crime we could have cleared and held that area permanently.  Oh, it required hard work by the way.

Our chief of police made a bet with the Sheriff that the Sheriff couldn't do any better at clearing out the problem than the city PD had.  Twenty bucks and a ton of ego satisfaction was on the line.  

We didn't do checkpoints, or random door kicking, we didn't even dress up in tacticool gear and rappel down a building.  All we did was STRICT traffic enforcement in the assigned area using four marked cars.  Anyone who's ever worked traffic knows they can stop anyone anytime for something if they look at them hard enough.  The order of the day was to disregard race and to just pull over everything in sight.  We towed so many cars we were running out of wreckers; expired tags, stolen, DUI, etc.  There were so many arrests for outstanding warrants and such that we had to have a bus to haul the prisoners.  If you came up clean on warrants, your car had the right plates on it, and you weren't impaired, you were given a warning for the traffic infraction and a brief explanation of what we were doing.  By the end of the shift we were down to parking half of our cars and were out walking on foot and visiting with the locals.  We could have easily kept up the pressure with just one car doing traffic in the area at that point.  

Well, the Sheriff won his bet and we had to pull out of the area.  Things were then allowed to get back to business as usual and the residents, the bulk of whom were law-abiding folks, were put back in misery.  The Sheriff used to rant about how we already had the tools to do the job if the Establishment really was serious about helping neighborhoods like that.  That's the rub.  The System feeds off the misery of these neighborhoods and just pays lip service to helping them after it deprives them of the means to take care of themselves.  

J.

The simple definition of gun control...
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J.

The simple definition of gun control...

Nope.  They have plenty of guns there and are well within their rights to own them.  It's a culture or pathology that I'm hard pressed to explain.  It's behavior on both sides of the law that creates this mess.  The social programs of the War on Poverty are part of it.  The War on Drugs is another part.  Then there's an institutional need for the judicial system to keep a steady stream of warm bodies to pay the fines and probation fees.  Add to that mix a pool of folks on either end of the political spectrum who benefit from advocating a point of view but not necessarily getting to a solution.  

If you were to issue an AR and ammo to every lawfully qualified citizen in some neighborhoods, you still wouldn't get to a solution.  It would be a darned good start.  It's deeper than just exercising our rights under the Second Amendment.  

The System doesn't want citizens being engaged in their own protection because that doesn't benefit the System.  

Sorry, this isn't really a Survival topic unless you figure that the survival of polite society has a direct impact on us all.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Wash, DC, the capital city of the USA, turns Police state.
How symbolic is that?
How REAL is that!
F.U.B.A.R.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Remain calm, all is well.  There is no need for any checkpoints.  Remember, DC has had a gun ban in place for years.  Gun bans keep everyone safe and prevent guns from getting to anyone but criminals.  Settle down.

Thank God for the Potomac river....  Who wants to help me start sandbagging our side of the shoreline???
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
Reminds me of back in '93 when Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelley tried to get the authority to deploy the National Guard at night and install flood lights everywhere on the same side of town.

It's just a g*ddamned piece of paper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I lived near and worked in the shit holes they want to roadblock.

Funny I dont feel much outrage. Checkpoints or burn it down but do something.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Before it was just a crime ridden shithole.  Now it's a ghetto.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top