Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/4/2008 6:05:34 AM EDT
It has been a long night. I have not slept due to the events of last night.

I was on my way home last night when I pulled into our local convienence store for some ice cream for my wife (due to pregnancy cravings). I had just come home from my friends house where we are building a garden and it was about 11:00pm.

I went to go into the store and a local cop pulled around from his hiding place where he was gunning people with his radar gun across the road into the parking lot. After giving my car a cursory glance and seeing my wife, he swung around the block and drove through a red light at over 50 miles an hour, in a small college town of about 8000 people (including 5000 students) Our town only has one stoplight by the way. Anyhow, as I pulled out of the parking lot, I decided to grab a taco from the local mexican food place. It is open 24 hours a day, always lit and is a popular place for students to go and have a meal. However tonight, there was only a single couple there, which is odd, even for a Tuesday, as this is the only place in town open that late.
Now, the mexican food place is just a block from the light where cop roared off. he was heading across town away from us and towards the campus.

I got my order and swung around to the front of the establishment and began rounding the rext corner. As I did, three hispanic males, approximately 18-22 years old (and definately NOT college students) came into view. They were on the corner of the building. Two of them appeared to be talking, but one was watching my car intently. (I was doing about 10 miles an hour). The male pivoted with my car and began moving towards the vehicle. I could not ascertain whether or not he was armed, but he bgan lifting up his shirt as he moved. He got to my car and was reaching behind him when I slammed on the gas (in second gear in a 1995 Honda Civic) and roared off as best I could. He bounced off the driver's side rear window and fell over. During that same time period, his buddies moved as well as if to block me, but they got out of the way. Here is the kicker...I had my wife and daughter in that car and I was not armed. My 16 month old was in the back in her car seat on the passenger side, behind my wife. My wife is 5 months along with our second child- and I REPEEAT- I WAS NOT ARMED! AS I flipped out of the parking lot, I switched on my flashers, brights, horn, everything. But that cop that was racing around town- he was not anywhere to be seen. I drove to the police station and when I got there, i just about shit myself (I do not own a cell phone btw) when I looked, and NOBODY was there. It was just that cop on duty it seemed. I drove around for about 10 minutes randomly away from that restaraunt, just in case they were in a car,and got home. I called 911 and the same police officer showed up to take the report after looking for the men. They were gone.
Now, what did I learn?

#1- I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITHOUT A GUN.
#2- I WILL RUN SOMEBODY OVER IF THREATENED.
#3- I WILL DEFEND MY WIFE AND CHILDREN, WITH LETHAL FORCE IF NEEDED.
#4- INSINCTS KICK IN! I WANTED TO PUT DOWN THE THREAT. BUT WAS UNARMED!!! CAUGHT WITHOUT A GUN, I WAS FUCKED!

AND MY FAMILY COULD HAVE BEEN INJURED OR KILLED!

FUCK MY STUPIDITY. NEVER AGAIN.

Oh, and another thing- that cop did not give a shit by the way. It is a small town with little crime, but the police find the time to harass college students over bullshit tickets, but did nothing serious in this case.

Now, before you all judge my actions as stupid, know this- I had been there since they opened as had thousands of other students. I was mentally disarmed as well as physically. NEVER LET DOWN YOUR GUARD.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:14:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Once again, the cops are not there to save you, but they will take good photos of the aftermath for the record.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you did fine w/o a gun.

A good lesson... but even with a gun, you done what you should have done.

John
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Getting the family out of harms way is priority 1. Don't be to hard on yourself. You did good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys, it was the most helpless feeling I have ever felt. It was as if everything went into slow motion all at once. I just keep thinking about what could have happened.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
You have a car - run 'em the f*** over.  If they are threatening you and the wife, use whatever you have and a car is nice weapon - ask anyone that's been hit by a drunk driver.

Good job, and I'm glad you're ok.

Dean
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone at the taco hut see any of this go down?  Did the cop talk to taco hut employees?

Sounds like you did good and had you had a gun, based on the cirumstances, your actions should have been the same.  If you have an out, take it.

Hope you don't loose too much sleep over this.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
You did good and followed your instinct. Getting the family out of there and to safety is the most important thing and if you have to run over the shitbags while doing it than so be it. They made their choice and what happens to them is on them. You need to think about you and your family first and foremost and you got them out of there before it went bad. Good man.

Being and feeling helpless surely isn't a good feeling or place to be. Live and learn. Atleast in this case it wasn't worse, but the cops are definitely not going to come to your rescue. Their nothing but after the incident photo takers and report writers and in some cases your even better off not involving them.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad yall are ok

Your car packs more energy than any firearm you can carry, but it is a single shot.  Some safety features render the car immobile when they crash.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you got your family out of there safely, that's #1 always.  Even if you had your sidearm,  what you did (hitting the gas and running through them) would have probably been the best thing.  You'll be ready for more next time.  
Good job, sheepdog!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
All the good stuff seems to happen to noobs with low post count.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, well I wish this shit didn't happen to me. But I did learn and will be ready next time.

(I am a frequent poster of at GTSP and GT)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]
drive thru's of anykind are just an ambush waiting to happen but some tacos are worth the risk.

it usually takes something like this for people to understand the importance of carrying and since your wife was there she'll probably share that feeling with you.

you did good by the way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#13]
She wants her permit ASAP. Of course, we have the weapons, but no permits yet. That WILL change.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Oh, by the way- You don't want to be in this sort of position. If you do, you are insane.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I think you did exactly what you should have, you noticed the threat, watched it and worked out an exit when shit got crazy. You and the family made it out safe thats all that matters, had you been armed would you have drwn down on them and stayed there?? Prob not the best idea, you did great!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Did this happen in Monmouth?

Used to hang out in that area many years ago, haven't actually been there since 1989 though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It has been a long night. I have not slept due to the events of last night.

I was on my way home ....

...what did I learn?

#1- I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITHOUT A GUN.
#2- I WILL RUN SOMEBODY OVER IF THREATENED.
#3- I WILL DEFEND MY WIFE AND CHILDREN, WITH LETHAL FORCE IF NEEDED.
#4- INSINCTS KICK IN! I WANTED TO PUT DOWN THE THREAT. BUT WAS UNARMED!!! CAUGHT WITHOUT A GUN, I WAS FUCKED!

AND MY FAMILY COULD HAVE BEEN INJURED OR KILLED!

NEVER LET DOWN YOUR GUARD.

I have a standing line with people who know me.......

If I have my pants on, I am armed.....

I used to have a problem with my wife, she carried just if she thought she might need it, till she was robbed while teaching a aerobics class at our church. She now either carries all the time, or makes sure I am armed if we go out together.

By the way we both have carry permits......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#18]
You did well, always take the escape option first, especially in a vehicle.  Think about the weapon if you are boxed in, otherwise the car is your first line of defense.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#19]
thedave1964, PM inbound.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
thedave1964, PM inbound.

reply sent
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I think you did the right thing but you should tried to run him over they were probably illegals, you were lucky
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#22]
You did what you were supposed to and everything worked out for the best.  Gun or no gun, your response should have been the same.  

Job well done.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think you did the right thing but you should tried to run him over they were probably illegals, you were lucky

I don't like the illegal alien problem as much as the next guy (especially in my neck of the woods).  If one of the idiots had happened to be in front of the vehicle when he floored, so be it.  But, intentionally running someone over (illegal or not) just BC you think you can is a pretty dumb move.

The OP did exactly what he should have done given the cirumstances.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
CAUGHT WITHOUT A GUN, I WAS FUCKED!

The final weapon is the mind. All else is Supplemental.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I know Zeth, but being mil trained it took over...get the hell out of the zone and return fire on the way out.

I will have to do some CCW training, because the 11B training may be overkill.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Good job Brother, you did exactly what you should have. Stay safe and always remember, be aware of you surroundings at all times.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks...

I intend to be much better prepared should anything like this happen again.

Even considering some of this:

http://www.shattergard.com/home.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Glad you guys made it away safe. In a number of such carjackings the criminal didn't even let the parent get their kid out of the car seat bfore taking off - so glad it worked out the way it did. Start carrying ASAP!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I reserved a seat at a class as of 9:15am.

My wife will be there as well. We will not get caught like this again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Good to see the instincts kicked in.  You did the right thing.  Glad everything worked out.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Once again, the cops are not there to save you, but they will take good photos of the aftermath for the record.

wougunguy, your story serves as a wake-up call for the rest of us. It is easy to become complacent... and YOUR complacency is a predator's strongest tool!

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
You did good. During the vehicle tactics class the instructor repeated that the car is a 2,500 pound bullet, and looks more defensible in court. Next time if you need to, make it center mass instead of a warning shot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]
That is a big ass bullet that you are driving. When in need use it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

John

+1

Good situational awareness!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I carry all the time, but with my normal carry it sounds like you got out of there faster than a belted-in driver could have done anything else.  And that's the right call, just like everyone else has said.  

When carrying in the car, I usually think of it as my when-the-vehicle-is-disabled defense.  

And besides, shooting a firearm inside a vehicle is LOUD and hearing-damaging, generally.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I don't think you should feel stupid.  I think you should feel lucky.  I'm sure your mind has already flashed with the horrors that could have been.

Link to Carjacking Story

Carjacking is on the rise and will only get worse.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

thats why i carry a gun...cops are too heavy
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#38]
You did VERY WELL.
You were aware enough to spot the trouble, draw your line in the sand, make a plan, and execute it.
You survived a deadly encounter (3 on 1 is deadly).
You contacted the police as fast as you could.

Now stop beating yourself up, you got you and yours home alive.

Get a cell phone that turns on from a thrift shop, garage sale, etc.  All phones in the US are required to be able to connect to 911 without a fee.  Get the car charger for it so when the battery is dead you can still make a call from a "safe" area.  Also if the need ever arises you can call the cell phone Operator, and place a call with a credit card (it is something outrageous like $2 a minute on a credit card for a non 911 call).
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad it worked out for you.

With a baby and one on the way, first thing first before getting a carry weapon is to get a cell phone. Good for tons more than just anti carjacking. A cell is a cheap insurance for an expecting mom. I believe you mentioned that your wife is going to get her permit, just remember, pregnancy and shooting aren't a good combo. Too many bad chemicals for the baby in handling ammo and the shooting smoke.  Maybe wait till your twice papa and then get her permit. When you're only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail. Don't fall into that mindset. You did right, get the heck out of dodge. You're a good man to be bringing up little ones in this day and age. I'm glad my baby daddy days are done!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

John

What he said. Glad your ok bud.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, by the way- You don't want to be in this sort of position. If you do, you are insane.

Sorry, already BTDT. A firearm is a GREAT deterant. Trust me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#43]
You did good. The main thing to remember is that your group survived because of your quick thinking. Your bank account is also intact since you didn't need bail money or an attorney to get you out of a vehicular homicide or a manslaughter charge. Even when the cops shoot someone, they have to account for it. Remember the Border Patrol agents who shot the illegal immigrant drug dealer. Both agents went to jail, and if you go to jail, who is going to look after your family?

Situational awareness is key and you passed with an "A" plus.

Eternal vigilance or eternal rest!

RS
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Did you call your insurance company?? three witnesses, one injured = rich on your dime
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#45]
OMG! You hit the dude with your car! He was only coming over to see what you wanted to order! He was an employee!

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Dont take this the wrong way...

You just had a SHTF event. That fancy AR didnt help you and you didnt need an AK for its reliability. Granted, this was a very limited SHTF but it could have neded very very badly as you well know.

So maybe instead of fantasizing about the end of the world and gunning down the mobs and needing the most reliable firearm on the planet you can use this opportunity to see whats truly important about being prepared.

Makes one think you need a pistol, a concealed carry permit and some professional level training classes more then an AK doesn it? I only say the classes because what if, by some horrible stroke of luck, your car died just as you went to gun it.......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Spec,

You are right. I did have an event. Changed my view of things real fast and how things go down in the real world, outside of scenaios. I just signed up for the class this morning and will be taking some pistol courses. My wife will follow suite as soon as she can after the pregnancy.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Seems like you were quite well armed and alert.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Getting the hell out of there was the right move.  Glad you and your family are safe.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

John

I agree you unassed the AO.

Good Job!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top