Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 5:05:48 PM EDT
I need some help with some stories or quotes from the bible about preparedness. I have some relatives and in-laws that say, "The lord will protect me." I appreciate their conviction but I know when the SHTF they will be on my doorstep. I am trying to show them it is in the bible to prepare. I know about Ezekial 33 and the story of the stored grain in Egypt. Any others I can use will be appreciated.

AccurateOne
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember my dear old Mother always saying that the Bible says the good Lord helps them who help themselves, not sure where it is found though. She was always a very religious person so I bet it is in there somewhere.
Sorry I couldn't be of any help.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you heard the old story of the drowning guy? So, basically the guys drowning and boat after boat comes by and offers to save them, but each time he responds that his faith is in the lord and God will save him.  He drowns and when he gets to Heaven he asks God what gives - " I prayed, I believed in you, and I was a servant to you, why didn't you answer my prayers and save me".  God replies, " What are you talking about, I sent all those boats to save you and you turned each one away".  The same analogy applies to preparedness -My opinion is that having knowledge about why we should prepare and having the means to do something about is precisely gods way of helping us. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has. He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.

-Proverbs 21:20
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I need some help with some stories or quotes from the bible about preparedness. I have some relatives and in-laws that say, "The lord will protect me." I appreciate their conviction but I know when the SHTF they will be on my doorstep. I am trying to show them it is in the bible to prepare. I know about Ezekial 33 and the story of the stored grain in Egypt. Any others I can use will be appreciated.

AccurateOne

Read the book of Proverbs.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I remember my dear old Mother always saying that the Bible says the good Lord helps them who help themselves, not sure where it is found though. She was always a very religious person so I bet it is in there somewhere.

Actually, that is not a biblical statement.

Doc

Edit to add;

There is the one where Jesus says that for one to rob the house of a strong man, he must first bind the strong man, then he can rob him.

It definitely doesn't hurt to be the strong man.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
1 Timothy 5:8

1 Timothy 6:6-9

Proverbs 21:20- +100

Proverbs 27:12- The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Nehemiah 4:9 - But we prayed to our God and posted a guard day and night to meet this threat.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Isaiah 39 shows what happens when one does not practice OPSEC with regards to preparations.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]

crosswalk

Here is a search engine.  Now be forewarned that there are many admonitions in the Bible that command a believer must not worry.  There are many things that members here think about and prep for that I cannot support from a Biblical view.  So with that in mind if you present to your relatives a scenario that is contradictory to the Bible, they may reject your ideas of preping.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
“But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel” (1 Timothy 5:8).

I know this verse was given in a previous post, but it's the key for us...  we have the means to lay up provisions for our own house (and some others who, if SHTF, will become part of our house), and if we chose instead to live for the moment, I would feel like I was wantonly misusing the resources (and desires) God has given me.

ETA:

Quoted:
Now be forewarned that there are many admonitions in the Bible that command a believer must not worry.

+1 on not worrying
Knowing that He has provided our supplies for us if a time of need arises allows me to rest easier.  I know He'll provide in a time of need because He has provided for every other day of our lives.  That said, He also provides the means and desire to "store away" some things, which may very well be His way of providing for us in the necessary time.

likewise, I carry a weapon daily.  do I worry that a bad guy will "come get me?"  nope.  am I aware that it could happen?  yep.  that's why I "prepare" for that situation by carrying and training with my weapon.  hth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
What about the story/account of Joseph. God sent him to Egypt and he had the entire land get ready for famine. He then saved his entire family.

Jesus Himself, the first time he sent out His disciples, sent them out with swords and knives. Of course the second time He sent them out, He sent them out with nothing.

Proverbs - go to the ant you sluggard and study her ways, (para) she reaps and stores in the summer, and when winter comes, has plenty.

Also, whatever happened to a Godly man protecting His family and those who cannot protect themselves?

BTW- I am in the same boat with my BIL/SIL and there is nothing changing their minds.

StagPower
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
"And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take [it], and likewise [his] scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the And they said, Lord, behold, here [are] two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough." Luke 22:35-38
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Go ask over at Frugals; that is totally their bag over there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Matthew 25
 1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
 2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
 3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
 4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
 5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
 6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
 7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
 8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
 9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
 10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
 12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
 13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

ETA: Then go back and read Matt 24 with a survival mindset. Verse 22 states that the "tribulation" will be so great that no flesh would be saved, except the days of it will be shortened for the elect's sake. In the same lesson, chapter 25, Jesus leads into the parable of the ten virgins.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread tonight.

AccurateOne
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Go ask over at Frugals; that is totally their bag over there.

yip they are the only ones in internet land that are christains and prepare....

i was looking for some of these the other day.....lil late but still helps..
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't forget the story of Noah and the ark.  The whole story is about prepping and the wickedness of man.  Not too different than why we prep.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"God helps those who helps themselves" Chapter 11 verse 12 of the chapter titled "Not to be found in the Bible"  Seriously, this is one of the most MISQUOTED things that isn't even misquoted, it's simply NOT in Scripture.

The Lord Himself gives several illustrations of 'watching' and 'being ready.'

The watchman on the wall (Ezek. that you mentioned) is good. Joseph saved TWO nations because of storing grain. Noah preached for 120 years, had only HIS FAMILY to get on the ark with him.

One of the earliest recorded BUG OUTS occurs in Genesis. I've told this story more than a few times to get people to understand the implications of getting "too tied" to the system.

Lot was Abraham's nephew. Now Abraham and his crew were content to dwell in the rural areas away from the cities. Lot was a little more worldly than old Abraham.

He could just barely see the light from Sodom out the front of his tent.

There seems to have been a lack of grazing land or something, anyways, Lot tells Abraham he wants to split off the old homestead with his "part" of the livestock and crew.

Abraham was an older, experienced and humble man. Even though technically he would have rights to all of it, he tells Lot "sure no problem, you pick first, if you want the left, I'll go to the right."

Lot moves to Sodom. We all know what went on in Sodom and the Lord DOES judge that sort of thing, sometimes swiftly sometimes not.

Anywhoo, some time passes. Lot is COMFORTABLE in Sodom. What's ironic is that folks from the tribe had to have left with him, yet there is NO mention in Scripture of them ever again. My feelings are that Lot lost his leadership of this crowd really early on.

Lot gets desensitized on a DAY TO DAY basis to the immorality, crime and gross sin going on in Sodom. Scripture refers to Lot "sitting by the gate" which in those times was where you met people coming and going. Many think he was a judge or some sort of official in Sodom.

Lot probably figured he had "arrived." Nice house in "Sodom South Estates", good job with the city. Man this sure as hell beats working behind smelly sheep in the middle of BFE! My stupid uncle living in a tent when he could have a killer pad made of stone like us!

You'll notice by this time that Lot has already done something he knew in his heart he shouldn't have- moved to Sodom in the first place.

Some time later the "4 kings" attack Sodom. Can you blame them? I mean really, what easier target than a city of fags? What are they gonna do when you attack, throw pudding at you? LOL   Anywhoo, Lot and his family are taken captive.

Word gets back to the homestead and Abraham arms ALL the men of his tribe and household, this was roughly 600 men, IIRC. They fight and free Lot's family.

What does stupid Lot do? Oh hey, let's go BACK to Sodom now. You know if Peter had not used the word "righteous" in describing Lot, I would have called him a POS by now!!! I personally don't think Lot was "righteous" at all. Lot certainly did nothing to PROTECT HIS FAMILY, even given numerous chances.

Some more time passes. The Angel of the Lord comes and talks with Abraham and tells him, "will I hide what I'm about to do from my friend Abraham? The sins of Sodom and Gomorrah are so great they have reached heaven."  God in his infinite mercy goes first to verify that the sins are true.

Abraham talks with Him and does a spectacular job of negotiating-

"Lord, surely you won't destroy the good with the evil. What if 50 good folks are found in Sodom?"

The Lord- "For the sake of 50 I won't destroy the city."

Abraham gets nervous, "Oh man, I just KNOW there isn't 50 good folks down there!" He negotiates God down to 10 people. For the sake of 10 good people God won't destroy Sodom.

God's angels come to the gate of Sodom. Here is old Lot, either transacting business or goldbricking it while getting a paycheck from Sodom.

Now Lot can tell these men "ain't from around here" and asks them if they have lodging. They reply "no it's cool, we'll just sleep in the streets."

Lot is like "no way, no THESE streets! Come to my house."

Now to people like Lot and Abraham, when a man came into your household or tent, he was under YOUR PROTECTION.

So Lot and his family and the strangers (Lot doesn't know they are angels) are chilling out, having dinner. Well some Sodomite saw them go into the house with Lot's family and said "hey there's new meat in town!" Pretty soon they are banging on Lot's door.

"Send those men out that we might "know" them." Yes they meant what you think they meant, this is homosexuals unchained by society. This is reality of that gross sin.

Lot goes out and tries to reason with them. "Friends don't do this, be kind." Lot's basically doing the "can't we get along" routine- Rodney King got it from Lot... LOL

Well these Sodomites aren't going to go for that. "Who is this man that comes here from the desert and thinks he can rule over us."

I think Lot was fixing to get a butt whupping.

The angel put a hand forth and pulled Lot in the house, they also smote the crowd with BLINDNESS. Mental note- don't mess with an angel..

Well it's on for sure now. Lot has woke up by NOW hasn't he?

The angels spill the beans- "Listen Lot, the Lord is going to destroy this city, you gotta bug out now brother!"

Lot goes and grabs his BO bag and is on the road in two minutes-

NOPE

Lot was so entrenched in the city, so entrenched in the system there, he DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE. Two things could have happened- 1. Lot didn't believe the Lord. 2. Lot didn't care and was willing to die there amongst the Sodomites.

An interesting side note is that Lot's daugthers were probably married and again Lot left Abraham with a whole crew of folks with him. In his time in the city, Lot has LOST LEADERSHIP OF HIS FAMILY AND AMONGST HIS FRIENDS. Lot had "caved in" to the system there. Lot saw the degradation and gross sin on a day to day basis and got used to it.

Scripture says basically the angels had to PULL Lot away from Sodom. Lot escapes with only his two daughters and his wife. They get just outside the city, just past Sodom South and Lot is already ready to give up "here's a LITTLE city, won't we be safe there?" The angels tell him "look brother, get up into the mountains, do NOT look back or your dead as fried chicken." Lot had so little INFLUENCE WITH HIS FAMILY that he lost his wife over that one.

So basically the Lord utterly destroys Sodom and Gomorrah. Lot's family is escaping and Lot's wife probably thought "Oh know, I forgot my jewels" or "Lot let's go back and get the bigscreen I can't miss Oprah today!" She turns back, bada boom bada bing, she's a pillar of salt.

Lot and the girls escape to a cave. The girls (raised in Sodom remember) think that the entire world is destroyed. They get Daddy drunk and "lay with him" -yes it means what you think it means-.

Sorrid affair huh? How many times do you think Lot's conscience tweaked him? I counted it up one time and Lot had 4 or 5 chances to do the right thing but refused. Why? Simply put, Lot was WORLDLY. Lot valued the things of the world- status, money, nice house, more than he valued FAMILY, FREEDOM, MORALITY.

It's my belief that the Holy Spirit will and has in some cases already put in the mind of believers an urgency to get out of the cities.

As a believer there is a REAL DANGER in getting tied too greatly to the world's system. I'm not saying we should live in a mud hut in the middle of the woods. But where are our priorities today? Are they with "stuff", status and money? Or are they with FAMILY, FREEDOM AND MORALES?

The story is a great story of a BUGOUT. The problem is, Lot should have never gotten himself entrenched in the world in the first place. He lost his family, his faith and almost his live because of it.

Does this not happen even today?

"Come out of her and be not partakers of her sins" is one of the calls in the book of Revelations. It also says "and you won't partake of her PLAGUES." The "her" is mystery babylon, the world system.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#19]

A very good write-up. About the Family, Freedom, Morales, I would just add, "with God dictating and defining and leading in these priorities, because we can still fool ourselves even when trying to do the right thing.

StagPower

Quoted:
Quoted:

As a believer there is a REAL DANGER in getting tied too greatly to the world's system. I'm not saying we should live in a mud hut in the middle of the woods. But where are our priorities today? Are they with "stuff", status and money? Or are they with FAMILY, FREEDOM AND MORALES?

The story is a great story of a BUGOUT. The problem is, Lot should have never gotten himself entrenched in the world in the first place. He lost his family, his faith and almost his live because of it.

Does this not happen even today?

"Come out of her and be not partakers of her sins" is one of the calls in the book of Revelations. It also says "and you won't partake of her PLAGUES." The "her" is mystery babylon, the world system.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I have been "Sir Lurks Alot" on this site for a long time. Your post made me sign up so I could speak of a Bible passage that's very meaningful to me.

Try Luke 22:36. Christ knows things are about to get hot. He tells some of those closest to him to buy swords. Christ then tells his men that if they have no money, sell their cloaks and buy swords. In verse 38 one of one of his men replies that they have two swords. Christ says that's enough.

This is proof that protecting loved ones is not just smart, kind and my duty. Protecting those I love, or at least instructing those I love to protect themselves, has a Biblical precedent. The entire concept of self-protection has Biblical foundation here.

Christ didn't tell the guys they needed to be an organized militia or to wait for the police/military to protect them. His followers need protection from the legal authority of the day.

I have read that our Constitution and Bill of Rights are written acknowledgement of pre-existing rights given to us by God. This seems to fit what I'm reading here.

How's that for a first-post soapbox?!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

NOT in the bible, and actually contradictory to the entire new testament theme of salvation by grace.    I believe this quote is from Benjamin Franklin.

There are isolated verses which people quote about self defence and preparedness (as noted above, proverbs probably has the largest number).  However, overall, I think one finds more the teaching that you should be much more concerned about death judgment and where you will spend eternity, rather than temporal things.  If we live after we die, this just makes sense.  You may live here for 100 years, but compared to eternity that is nothing.  I like to think of it as "prepping" for 100 yrs, for the eternal.   That said, here are a few verses which are often quoted (I think many times out of context):

LK 22:35 And He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" And they said, "No, nothing." 36 And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one.

Which you should balance with this verse:

Matt 26:52 Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword.

Also often quoted, although it really applies to being lazy, and not working to support your family:

1 Tim 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith, and is worse than an unbeliever.

ETA: you guys are fast- I think when I started this post, there were only three responses!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#22]
God gave people a brain to make rational decisions.  When people say "God will protect me" I consider them testing the Lord.  Most people have enough brains to look for traffic when crossing the street and not blindly say God will watch over them.  He also gave them brains to prepare for bad times.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Yup, they might as well drive to church with blindfolds on. And oh, when the gas tank is empty, don't bother filling up. Their car will run indefinately on the fumes. Probably until the second coming.

No sense in paying bills either. On and On and On.

You get the idea.

Now back to studing the Bible and Preparing.

StagPower
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]
My understanding of this is that people believe they will be raptured prior to any tribulation...you know, there are pre-tribbers, tribbers, and post tribbers, and your folks may be pre...

so I don't know what God has in store for me, but I think he said "by the sweat of your brow" when he talked to my distant relative Adam, and that still holds true for me.  Ain't no free meals anymore...(thanks Eve!)
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Weellll, I am pre-trib, but there is a HUGE-BIG difference between trial, persecution, and tribulation. The first two is life, and the second is the wrath of God on man, before He turns the globe into a fire-ball, ei 2 Peter.

StagPower
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Some great scriptures have been posted above.

I have tried and tried. I sure most all of you have. We KNOW that it is healthy, right, and Biblical to prepare for what we know is to come. No matter how much you reason, how hard you try - many times it will DO NO GOOD. Too many are happy being ignorant. Being slothful. Expecting it all to be done or be handed to them.

Here is a scripture you may want to consider AccurateOne.

Matthew 7:6

"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

I am in no way calling your In-laws dogs or swine.... That said, you have to consider that they may not want to hear the truth. Your "pearls" of wisdom and truth may fall on deaf ears. If they really are upset about the TRUTH and REALITY, they may even turn on you and attack you. "Paranoid", "Crazy", "Survivalist", etc... we've heard it all. Not all (infact very few) will listen to reason.

That is part of the Fathers plan.... look throughout all of history. Biblical & Post-Biblical. Our Father is true... and always preserves a REMINANT. Very few. Those are the ones who listened. Not only followed his word (laws), but prepared. The majority (wicked, lazy, scoffers) perish. It's part of His plan.

Think NOAH. What would have happened if he just waited for God to build the ark. Think of all the wicked who mocked Noah and his family. Plenty of them had the same mentality. God or others will help or do it for me.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#27]
1 Corinthians 15:52
52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

Revelation 11:15
The Seventh Trumpet
15The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said:
  "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ,
     and he will reign for ever and ever."

I'm post trib, as you can see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's been a while, but what's the story about keeping your lamp full?

I believe you are refering possibly to the story of the brides and the bridegroom,
Matthew 25.

This is most relevant to us......just a reminder to what is most important and how easy
it is to lose track of.

Matthew 6:19-24
19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What about the story/account of Joseph. God sent him to Egypt and he had the entire land get ready for famine. He then saved his entire family.

Jesus Himself, the first time he sent out His disciples, sent them out with swords and knives. Of course the second time He sent them out, He sent them out with nothing.

Proverbs - go to the ant you sluggard and study her ways, (para) she reaps and stores in the summer, and when winter comes, has plenty.

Also, whatever happened to a Godly man protecting His family and those who cannot protect themselves?

BTW- I am in the same boat with my BIL/SIL and there is nothing changing their minds.

StagPower

My 1st thought was of Joseph also.  God used him in a way I'm sure he could not even begine to imagine when his brothers sold him into slavery.

I don't worry about tomorrow because God will provide for me, to me that means he is providing now for rough times ahead.
You do reap what you sow.  If you fail to prepare/plant then what happens?

Great thread by the way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Do a search on the ant and the sluggard in the Old Testament.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Look to the ant o'sluggard, learn her ways!

An important part of being a Christian and especially a Christian survivalist, IMO is being to hide the word of God in your heart. Several reasons for this- first we are told to always be able to "give an answer"- i.e, soul winning. Secondly if it's in our MIND and not just in the book, it's about impossible for someone to take it away from us.

We might all be sitting in a prison camp one day, you can damn sure bet Bibles won't be there, but we will be able to encourage and strengthen each other, and possibly still reach lost souls, if we have the word in our heart and minds.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I may be on the verge of a breakthrough. My wife and I, along with the children, take a number of neighborhood kids to church with us, and the afore-mentioned BIL helps give transportation as well.

So as he is picking up some of the kids, on the way to prayer meeting/Awana yesterday evening, he mentions to me, that this weekend he is putting up shelves in the basement, and going out and stocking up on food. He is seeing the writing on the wall also. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next plug was, along with the food and water, get sanitary items, and guns and ammo.

I think we are getting somewhere here!

StagPower
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top