Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:13:58 AM EDT
I was looking at my end of April and Mid May Shotgun news and saw that with a few firearms SKS, AK's the price has gone up over $30 on some of them! A little over a month ago most Ruger 10/22 where under $150 now most that I have seen have been $200+ I also have seen the price on a few pistols have gone up I've mostly seen it with SIG's .
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It will get worse the closer to the election we get.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed indirectly.... everyone told me about this "phantom" 870 Super Magnum I could get for $200.... in the stores they were going for a little over $300.

Another time a friend told me how he could go to the store "right now" and get a 10/22 for about $200 OTD in stainless/ synthetic... good luck, the blued/ wood are $200 on sale now-a-days
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes and no. I have seen prices go up quite a bit....and some people are holding onto their guns. Other people though are selling their guns- toys go before the house and despite what we may think- to most folks, guns are toys. That and the fact that most people have 4 x as many guns as they need so they don't miss a couple here and there.

I had a perfect example of that happen at the last gunshow. Walked around for hours looking at stuff. All too high, was leaving with only some little odds and ends when a guy with a FAL walks in the door. It's a Century gun but built with an STG kit and an Imbel Receiver. I now own it for $400.

I think the guy probably sold it because ammo is so high, gas is high and he said he hadn't shot it in quite awhile. Might be alot more of that in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Prices on AK's seem to be going up. One of  the reasons I decided to get one was to have it in hand before it gets any worse.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
being in Dallas, the home of the weekly gunshow...
I have been seeking a CHEAP .22 of decent lineage for 3 mos in the <$100.00 range as something I can leave on the tractor 24/7 for rats, chucks, etc...not caring if the finish gets mucked up

lots of luck

beat to death glenfield, asking price was $125, i MEAN BEAT TO DEATH worn out finish on stock, scratches, and enough sand in the reciever to top off the litter box!
I offered $80..I know a bit of a low ball but again, rifle in terrible condition.

guy laughed at me..he has been hauling this around since january that I know of..
and 10/22's,,they are now golden...old, wobbly recievers and bolts and over $200,,asked one guy,,if he knew they were brand new in last weeks paper for 189..he told me to go buy em..he too has been carrying the 2 he had for a year or more..

so..yes,,and also noticed on rifles and handguns at least a 10 to 15% increase
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
My mom bought a new 10/22 composite-carbine yesterday for $215, I figured a premium was fine because the local store & employees were really helpful. It did seem high...I told her we need to cache up .22LR before the end of summer. "Just tell me what to get next time we're together and I'll buy it."  Edit: Remember Mags!!  We should compile & pin a list of common items to stock/store up on before prices really jump at the end of summer. Is there anything I should purchase to have in reserve for the 10/22, anything that commonly breaks?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing that commonly breaks on the 10/22 though a Volquartsen extractor is a good spare to have at only $8.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
will get worse as the summer goes along.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]

EVERYBODY PANIC

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...when a guy with a FAL walks in the door. It's a Century gun but built with an STG kit and an Imbel Receiver. I now own it for $400.

Will - when you get tired of it come talk to me    We're in the same town and I wouldn't mind picking another up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
SKS's are drying up from the last imports.  I have bought 4 handguns dirt cheap because of the economy, from individuals.  Also EBR are in high demand because of the political climate.

The last 2 months.

Like new Sig p225 $200

Eaa Polymer NIB $250

Rugar P85 SS with 700 rounds $250

Today a Skyy 9mm Mint $150

Bob

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The bargain of the summer is the FNP-45 (FNH USA) with 3-14 round mags and two back-straps for $550.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was looking at my end of April and Mid May Shotgun news and saw that with a few firearms SKS,

I remember when SKS's could be purchased as Roses departments stores (now defunk) for $60-79 a piece.  I've seen them lately going for $250-300 for chinese crap.  Still a good rifle to have though
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
metal has gone way up, plastic is made from oil and the head of the next big sleeper cell is close to getting elected to president. It's only going to get worse as Nov approaches
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't really think that firearms manufacturers and importers are basing their prices on current events(as in the last couple of months). The result of the current prices are probably a result of what's happened the last year or so.  

It's already been said but metal has gone up a lot over the last five years (I know for sure that this is making ammo go up). New or possibly upcoming import restrictions import restrictions may be driving up the price surplus imports, kits, and mags. And of course supply and demand.

Aside from the gloom and doom the gun industry is a lot like other industries. Prices just go up.

It would be interesting to see if they're going up as much as everything else. Say compared to food, fuel, cars, houses, inflation, etc.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
...Other people though are selling their guns- toys go before the house and despite what we may think- to most folks, guns are toys...

+1

just recent;y picked up 2 nice .22's, a marlin semi and an old remington scoremaster w/ weaver rimfire scope, from a buddy for about $50 (traded a couple partially used gander mountain gitft cards) he just needed the money

i forsee this happening more in the near future.  although i might not be planning on picking up any new guns right now, it helps being known as one of the "gun guys" at work when people are looking to sell

loon
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I work at gander mt in the gun dept. Prices seem pretty stable. Just bought a NIB savage 10fp (with my discount) for 293. Glocks and Ar's are the same price they have been for the last several years. Bolt guns and various american shotguns too. Prices on mini-14's have gone down since the improved version came out. We just sold two sig 225s for 269 and a used glock 30 with night sights for 480.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]
My favorite dealer has stopped stocking new semi-auto AKs due to the price increases from his suppliers. Instead he is seeing more and more X-condition, upper-scale used AKs come into his shop from owners who no longer want to feed their "toy" since all the $.08/rnd Russian ammo went away.

I eaxpect a huge surge in firearms/magazines/ammunition purchases as the
November election approaches.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, we've all kinda talked around some things here so far and it's interesting.

There is a strong demand force right now- the elections AND economic worries (people want guns "just in case" something happens) and there are some strong sell incentives too- rising costs of living and costs of shooting. It depends on the mind bent of the seller/buyer.

Where I live there have been some sensational crimes lately. Business owners have been followed home and robbed at gunpoint, in some upscale neighborhoods. In the last incident a man was killed, they've caught the guys apparently but alot of folks took notice. There has been a big influx of people at the gun shops because of this. I personally know several "prominent" citizens that are gunning up right now. People are edgy, polite, but edgy.

I also know people who have been "comfortable" for a long time that are now starting to feel a little less secure due to home financing issues, gas prices, industry decline etc..... They are taking smaller vacations, fewer trips to Starbucks, car only gets detailed every other month etc....these guys typically own a Kimber or two, maybe an AR15, a Beretta over under- (cause that's the gun all their friends have)...and they are showing up and dumping those guns for cash. They are not "gun people" but they do own guns. Deals are decent, not great but decent, occasionally a great one does come up for whatever reason.  Guns are just another possession and one that can be turned into cash pretty easily, so they do.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
EVERYBODY PANIC

I'll go get the popcorn...  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top