Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:39:41 PM EDT
went on a huge camping trip and got some poison ivy anyone know of a solution to get rid of this .. its weird it doesn't itch its just spreading a little bit on my hands
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
See:

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/cures.html

Oh, and dibs!!

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
went on a huge camping trip and got some poison ivy anyone know of a solution to get rid of this .. its weird it doesn't itch its just spreading a little bit on my hands

Once you have the irritation, dry it out with calomine lotion. Antihystamines may reduce the itch some, and topical hydrocortizone ointment.

Scrub your hands well, especially under your fingernails and clean your gear as well, particularly boots.

The best thing I found for pre and post exposure is TecNu(spelling) soap. It chemically bonds to the urush oils and renders them inactive. Do a google on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ton of remedies.  Probly the best treatment is prevention.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]

The best thing I ever used was acetone.  I just wiped it once and the itch went

away. It also dried up. Ive heard that some people use thinner or other similar

things.  I always take it camping now. Thanks for reminding me. Thats going on the

list right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Fels Naptha soap is very good.Wash with it and it'll dry it up. It works best when used soonly after the exposure, though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
at least you're not like me....i've got it all over my hands, inbetween all of my fingers and on my palms....and on my cock and balls.

It really sucks....can't even work until its gone because i can't grip anything
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fels Naptha soap is very good.Wash with it and it'll dry it up. It works best when used soonly after the exposure, though.

That's a Bushism if ever I've heard one.    Sorry, I just found it funny.  

A trick I've heard from an Eagle Scout for poison ivy is smear it with Preparation-h and Neosporin, and then cover it up.  Supposedly, those two medicines combined dry up the rash and help heal it.  I haven't tried it, but my old pal swore by it.  MJD
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
at least you're not like me....i've got it all over my hands, inbetween all of my fingers and on my palms....and on my cock and balls.

Dude, don't be doing that funk in poison ivy!

OP, early on soap will break down the oils that cause the rash, which is the exact same thing the stronger paint thinner type chemicals do.  After the rash, hydrocortizone and calamine.  Oatmeal baths may help too.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found that this RX steroid (Triamcinolone) cream does a great job os drying it up and keepign the itching at bay.. Have to see the dr to get it though..

I have found that if i start applying it as soon as the itch starts, it wont get to the water blister stage..

Brian
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
It grows like grass at one of my places, I've had the bumps more than once.

The poison ivy at this place is so bad we killed everything in one area with weed killer and kept it mulched well for at least 10 years with no visible growth.  A water pipe froze there, after working in the hole my dad got bumps from only contact with the dirt.  I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.  

My solution is Fel's Naptha bar laundry soap.  I get it at Meijer by the laundry soap, I keep 10 bars on the shelf one in my travel bag and one in every shower.

I use it more preventative than as a treatment, but seems to help it clear up. It dries your skin out.

I shower with it every week when I cut the grass.  I used to get it on my lower legs, now I haven't had a bump in years.  If I know I've been deep in poison ivy I shower with it head to toe, and scrub hard.  Sometimes I'll take a second shower and do it again.  I wash my clothes with it if needed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
take it from a forest ranger, try Zanfel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, Being a long time "expert" at getting and treating poision ivy,

I have had it on EVERY part of my body.  Your nuts are bad, but try your EYES for real fun.

Here is the info you need.

1.  Always wash with "Dawn" dishwashing liquid if you think you have been exposed.  It will strip the oil from your skin and prevent the outbreak.  Would have been good to know a few days ago.

2. "DOMEBORO" powder.  you can get it at any drug store and possible wal mart.  It comes in a blue stripped box.  

Now, the little packets say to mix with a quart of water or something like that,   DO NOT use that much water.  USE just enough to make a paste.  Rub/Dab the paste on the rash areas and allow to dry.  Most of the rash will disappear over night.  Severe cases may take a second or third application.

I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn. So use advice at your own peril.

Have fun

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, early on soap will break down the oils that cause the rash, which is the exact same thing the stronger paint thinner type chemicals do.  After the rash, hydrocortizone and calamine.  Oatmeal baths may help too.  

lol i wish i was...i got it at work, I'm a landscaper.  I was weeding out a huge patch of weeds and vines with it grown in with gloves on even too.  Must have gone through the gloves and was in the dirt,  Had to pee several times must have gotten it on there that way, thought i had washed it all off, guess not.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Zanfel Here
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Docs keep all the really good non approved medicine uses to themselves.  Here's one I've been told about, and had done to me for a food allergy related rash that started at my neck and went to my ankles, itched like crazy, and felt like pins being jabbed into my whole body.  

A heavy dose injection of cortizone, and zyrtec tabs.  

Yes, cortizone has bad side effects from prolonged use, but is used by rockstars to perform when sick, sports players to reduce swelling and inflamation, etc.  A one time usage won't hurt you, and when used for the right things can be a miracle worker for histamine reactions.

Short story--My friend was flying out to Europe and got a bad poison ivy reaction, face, and most of the rest of his body, or so he says.  He goes to the family doc, and is told I'm not supposed to do this but he give him a shot.  My friend boards the plane a few hours later and has every stewardess feeling sorry for him.  He said by the end of the flight they thought a miracle had happened, all the rash was gone, and he looked normal again.  Cortizone is great stuff.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1 times 3

I'm cutting wood in the "woods" all the time and get poision ivy from time to time.  The worst cases are when you're exposed early in the day and then work for hours sweating the stuff into every single pore.  Once you figure out you were exposed it is way too late.

Zanfel is some good stuff.  You must follow the directions.  Scrub for as long as the instructions say and add a minute for good measure.  You'll get tired of scrubbing and be tempted to stop - DON'T - keep going.  I keep an extra tube of this stuff on hand now.

The bad news - it's about $40 per tube.  Some drugstores keep it behind the pharmacy counter since it tends to "walk" due to the price.  If you don't see it on the shelves, ask.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Docs keep all the really good non approved medicine uses to themselves.  Here's one I've been told about, and had done to me for a food allergy related rash that started at my neck and went to my ankles, itched like crazy, and felt like pins being jabbed into my whole body.  

A heavy dose injection of cortizone, and zyrtec tabs.  

Yes, cortizone has bad side effects from prolonged use, but is used by rockstars to perform when sick, sports players to reduce swelling and inflamation, etc.  A one time usage won't hurt you, and when used for the right things can be a miracle worker for histamine reactions.

Short story--My friend was flying out to Europe and got a bad poison ivy reaction, face, and most of the rest of his body, or so he says.  He goes to the family doc, and is told I'm not supposed to do this but he give him a shot.  My friend boards the plane a few hours later and has every stewardess feeling sorry for him.  He said by the end of the flight they thought a miracle had happened, all the rash was gone, and he looked normal again.  Cortizone is great stuff.

IM so inbound....my dad's a doc and I need this gone....didn't get much sleep last night cuz of the burning itching throbbing feeling.  I think he's hoping the steriods he got me will get rid of it but I need to get back to work since I've got bills to pay and if I don't work I don't get paid
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
OK, Being a long time "expert" at getting and treating poision ivy,

I have had it on EVERY part of my body.  Your nuts are bad, but try your EYES for real fun.

Here is the info you need.

1.  Always wash with "Dawn" dishwashing liquid if you think you have been exposed.  It will strip the oil from your skin and prevent the outbreak.  Would have been good to know a few days ago.

2. "DOMEBORO" powder.  you can get it at any drug store and possible wal mart.  It comes in a blue stripped box.  

Now, the little packets say to mix with a quart of water or something like that,   DO NOT use that much water.  USE just enough to make a paste.  Rub/Dab the paste on the rash areas and allow to dry.  Most of the rash will disappear over night.  Severe cases may take a second or third application.

I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn. So use advice at your own peril.

Have fun

I have had poison ivy more times than I can possibly remember. I was out of school for 2 weeks once because it was so bad. I have had a huge number of opportunities to try different things.

Calamine is crap. Shit. garbage.(ask me how I really feel) Benedryl cream is the best stuff I have tried to stop the itch. I don't even feel it any more because I am so used to the suffering, so I just ignore it.

Removing the oil is the only way to prevent it. Once you have it, you can't make it go away. You just have to heal as quickly as possible. The suggestion above about oil cutting dish soap is exactly correct. I usually wash with dish soap, then with regular hand soap, then maybe a couple more times to be sure.

the most important thing is to stop recontaminating yourself. If your shoes were in the PI, then they have the oil on them and will give you a rash over and over and over again. The dog rolling in it can also give it to you. Your clothing that you wore or even came into contact with needs to be washed, and maybe washed again if you are as sensitive to it as I am!!!!

Once I have it, I take benedryl to help take the edge off. It works really well to help me stay sane. I like to bandage up the bubbles so then won't tear open when I am working outside. Once they pop, which happens inevitably when they are bandaged, I put Gold Bond powder on them in a thick layer and bandage it up again. This dries out the oozing really quickly and once its dry, its really over. A week later I am peeling like crazy and a much happier guy.

The stuff in the bubbles is not poison ivy. If some idiot tells you that popping the bubbles will cause it to spread, kick him in the nuts for being a dumbass. That is your own bodies fluids trying to create a barrier between the irritant and your underlying tissue. It is litterally like a chemical burn where your skin in on the defensive. A doctor could explain it better than I, but I am under the impression that they fluid is from your own blood. Its not contagious. Scratching will only spread it if you still have the oil on the spot your are scratching. Once the oil is truely gone, you can't hurt anything by totally useless scratching.

ETA: KILL IT WITH FIRE, but not when you are anywhere within 100 yds. and up wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ask me how I know this is a bad idea when you are too close)

Nuking it from orbit may be the only way!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always found that staying away from it is the best medicine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#21]
As has been touched on by others, with poison ivy, oak, and sumac the allergic reaction is caused by the oils. The gentleman who got the poison ivy troubles while landscaping wearing gloves, it didn't get through the gloves, you got it when you took them off. The oils were also on your clothes.

Some folks are also more resistant to it. I used to go out in the woods where there was poison oak as a youngster, knew what it looked like and tried to avoid it, generally no problem, but I would come home and my mother would wash my clothes and get a reaction from just that contact.

Always wash your hands well after any possible contact, dishwashing detergent is good as it will cut the oil. Prevention is better than cure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once you have the irritation, dry it out with calomine lotion. Antihystamines may reduce the itch some, and topical hydrocortizone ointment.

Scrub your hands well, especially under your fingernails and clean your gear as well, particularly boots.

The best thing I found for pre and post exposure is TecNu(spelling) soap. It chemically bonds to the urush oils and renders them inactive. Do a google on it.

+1

Instead of calomine lotion use an antihystamine spray.  I also like to take oral antihystamine if the itching gets too bad.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go see a doc they will give you a shoot of corisone to clear it up quickly.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm really sorry for laughing at you, but coffee, keyboard, you know the rest...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I assume that you are joking since cutting wood, killing stuff, shooting things, burning junk, and generally being a man will cause you to come into contact with it...now if you are a dragon goddess, just have sympathy for your dragon Gods...OK?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Another +1 for the Zanfel. Use the Tecnu before exposure (if you know you have to get in the stuff) A trip to the doc is the only way to cure a heavy dose of the stuff.

I have not been able to find any Fells soap around here anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#27]
You have to be really careful, but I have used bleach a couple of times in a pinch. Put a little on a white washcloth and scrub the affected area. Then wash with soap and water to remove residual bleach. Seems to work on small areas. Don't think I would use it on my junk though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I'm really sorry for laughing at you, but coffee, keyboard, you know the rest...

if it weren't me I'd be laughing too my coworkers and friends got a good laugh out of it
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

i dont know why the Dr. told him that. whenever i get PI anywhere near my face or eyes thats exactually what the Dr. does. gives me a script for cream and the shot and im GTG in 1-2 days.

POISON IVY KILLER(also is a great weed and grass killer)
1 gal of apple cider vinegar
1 LB salt(leave this out unless you never want anything to grow there again.)
2 TBS of dish soap(brand does not matter)

do this out side on the side burner of a grill if you can.(not needed if your just using vinegar and soap)

pour half to 3/4 or so of the vinegar in a large pan/pot and bring to a boil. add sald and dish soap mix till there are no more salt crystals in the pan. ALLOW TO COOL. pour the left over vinegar in a 1gal or larger pump garden sprayer and now, using a careful pour(or funnel) add the rest of the vinegar/salt/soap mixture into the sprayer and give a few good shakes. you are now ready to kill just about any weed/vine/grass out there. i have used this even on Va creeper and ground ivy. use on a hot sunny day for best results. mid morning or just after the due has dried is best so it gets a good days worth of sun shine.

the soap helps the vinegar stick to the leaves and the vinegar burns the leaves. the salt with neutralize the soil so the weeds/ivy wont grow back. a second dose may be needed. also rinse out the sprayer as soon as your done. the salt will recrystallize and F up the sprayer if not cleaned well. i rinse, empty, rinse, empty, rinse, pressurize and spray and rinse and pressurize and spray one last time to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Ton of remedies.  Probly the best treatment is prevention.  

I some on my forearm..just a little, and immediately (within about 5 minutes) doused it with rubbing alcohol. No rash....

I feel really lucky!

I spray twice a week with Roundup...I HATE THAT SHIT! I have a ton of it on my property.

Gonna get a sprayer that mounts on my ATV and kill every fucking green bush on the 3 acres..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I got poison oak bad on my legs once. I tried a temporary aid: hot bath. The heat brings out the histamines, itch like crazy for a few minutes, then the histamines are used up so no itching for 6-8 hours (long enough to go to work). Also, a cortizone injection has worked for me. I would reserve this for severe cases.

Oh, you can get exposed even in winter when there are no leaves. The stems can get you.

Lee
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Oh, you can get exposed even in winter when there are no leaves. The stems can get you.

Lee

the roots can too, and if it's in the soil it can as well
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Pretty shitty reply for somebody asking for help .

I have found that Prednisone drys it out quickly, IME.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 for Fels Napha soap.  Make suds and apply to irritation and allow to dry.  The itching stops pretty quickly.  Worst case, bath in Epsom salt and allow it to go to work on the poison ivy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top