Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2008 9:40:04 AM EDT
The first pistol I ever bought was a Sig Pro 2340 in .357sig. I ended up buying a .40 barrel for it due to the cost of plinking ammo. Since then I have bought a few other handguns, and I bought 9mm barrels for all the .40 except one. Should I sell my .357 barrel and get a 9mm for my other .40? I really like the .357sig round, but don't shoot it because of cost. I think the benefits of being able to shoot 9mm or .40 out ways the chance of finding .357sig during a shtf event. 357sig is very hard to find locally during normal time. Or is better to keep this barrel in case I do find some .357
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
you probably wont get that much for the barrel. If you like the caliber, i say keep it. If the REAL reason you have it is for SHTF, it might not be a bad idea to be able to shoot less common (ie less desirable) calibers that might still be sitting on the shelves at gun shops even if it is more expensive than the .40 and 9mm that is out of stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the thought of different barrels for the same firearm but the reality is not worth it in my opinion.

I would list your barrel for trade on sites dedicated to that handgun and see what happens.  

If the mags differ then I would get rid of those as well.

I orginally got a glock 20 and was planning on all sorts of barrels for it but the more I looked at the reality of different ammo and my real world needs I decided I was not interested in bringing the idea to reality.

I know with some stuff you are looking at different followers for mags and I always figured different mags was the best solution but then I got to wondering about just buying ammo with all that money and having lots of 10mm ammo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you probably wont get that much for the barrel. If you like the caliber, i say keep it. If the REAL reason you have it is for SHTF, it might not be a bad idea to be able to shoot less common (ie less desirable) calibers that might still be sitting on the shelves at gun shops even if it is more expensive than the .40 and 9mm that is out of stock.

+1

You probably wouldn't get a lot out of the .357 barrel, and the 9mm conversion barrels are not really that much.

BTW, do you have a .22 conversion available for the sig?
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
keep the barrel.  can you put a price on the flexibility that you would be giving up?

9mm and .357sig barrels for my 229 are on my wish list.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
keep the barrel.  can you put a price on the flexibility that you would be giving up?

9mm and .357sig barrels for my 229 are on my wish list.

and .40 barrel is on my 229 357 sig's wish list!
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 9mm barrel that fits in 3 different glocks I own - I've thought about getting a .357sig barrel to - on the list, just not a priority.  My preference is .40 cal - but I do realize that the 9mm is much more prevalent and will most likely be easier to locate in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to get a 9mm barrel for my CZ-52. 7.62 Tokarev will penetrate level II kevlar vests and kevlar helmets, but, well, there's not a lot of call for that and ammo is hard to find unless I order it online.

That said, I'd probably be better off just getting a CZ-75B in 9mm and ignoring the 9mm barrel for my CZ-52.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have this situation with a glock 20, which I find a good combination between social and defense against moose/lion, etc -- I just never could warm up to an N-frame.

I have 40 glocks for social use, so I bought a 40sw barrel for the Glock20 that can handle case bullets and have my press setup for 40sw to simplify logistics.   I also have about 1000 cases and LOTS of primers in both large and small pistol so I should be able to keep both rounds going for quite some time.

A box of 10mm (or 357sig) may show up, but I am not planning on it. on the other hand, 9mm 40sw, and 45acp are all over the place.

go to any gun range, and look at the cases that people have left on the ground. Those are the rounds that people use and you might find during SHTF.
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I very much agree with the logic of multi-caliber capability on one receiver. I too keep conversion bbls and mags for my G23. Heck - here we are on an AR site and that is the ultimate multi-caliber receiver IMO.

However - the .22 seems to be missing from the kit. IMO .22 is the SHTF round that will probably be most practical.

I don't know if the SIG has a conversion available - but here in the SF , I'd be leaning towards that.
JC
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The first pistol I ever bought was a Sig Pro 2340 in .357sig. I ended up buying a .40 barrel for it due to the cost of plinking ammo. Since then I have bought a few other handguns, and I bought 9mm barrels for all the .40 except one. Should I sell my .357 barrel and get a 9mm for my other .40? I really like the .357sig round, but don't shoot it because of cost. I think the benefits of being able to shoot 9mm or .40 out ways the chance of finding .357sig during a shtf event. 357sig is very hard to find locally during normal time. Or is better to keep this barrel in case I do find some .357

I have a Sig Pro 2340 on layaway.  I plan on getting a 9mm barrel just for plinking and SHTF.  I happen to have some 9mm ammo and no gun currently.  I also have 40 S&W ammo.  Anyone know if there is .22lr conversion for the Sig Pro?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top