Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2008 12:27:06 PM EDT
Wanted some ideas from you guys.  I'm looking at a piece of land that is remote with no power, H20, or septic.  I would imagine that a hand well could be put in for H2O but power and septic is another thing.  This piece of land is 10 acres and it is about 1/3 mile hike to get into it from the nearest road.  The price of this land is $16,000.00.  Lots of animals in this area(deer, elk, moose, grizzly, wolves, etc.)  I was just wanting to build a little grizzly adams style cabin for summer vacation use only.  What do you guys think????  Should I not waste my time/money???
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the land landlocked or do you get a right of way to it?  I dont know what the going rate for acreage is out there, but its pretty pricey for around here.

Check on the price and access.... otherwise sounds awesome!  There are ways to deal with water and septic with no power.  However, water running in and septic out really add long term comfort possibilities.  It can be done with no power.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You do have a right of way to the land.  I was just wondering how hard it would be to make a cabin "off the grid".  This property is in alaska so I would only use it for summer vacations.  Thatns.  steve.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems pricey to me.....  otherwise sounds awesome.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I moved to New Mexico in 2005; the first year I lived here I was in a small 'Earth Ship' belonging to my sister. It is out in the desert, no utils at all. Photocells, a 36" wind generator and a backup 2500W genny were my power sources. (The genny is also used ot power the well pump, as it is a 220VAC pump.)

Photocells & generator:

Battery box:

The batteries, when charged, will support most 115VAC appliances. I had a Sears over-and-under washer/dryer (dryer used propane for the heat). I seldom used the dryer even in winter; I'd hang my clothes to dry, and used the dryer to finish drying my damp uniforms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top