Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2008 9:52:19 AM EDT
What's all the "have to have" talk about food grade buckets and really about buckets at all?

If a person stores bulk in mylar w/absorbers and it's sealed, does it really matter what the mylar is inside of? the mylar protects the food, the "bucket/box/whatthehellever" protects the mylar from puncture etc correct?

so, wouldn't it be just as easy/safe to store sealed mylar in plastic bins that fit under the bed etc?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#1]
buckets are mainly, as you point out to protect the sealed mylar.  so no bucket required,  they're just convenient, easy to stack and move.  we have some sealed 1 gallon mylar bags full of oats sitting on the shelf in our medium term food storage.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Your correct. The mylar IS the protective barrier. Technically you "could" use very clean gypsum buckets if you really wanted to. I've passed up literally thousands of them over the years.

Try to stick with containers that actually have held FOOD if your using used containers. I've used pickle buckets (even the evil cancer causing "green" ones... OMG I'm dying now LOL), donut icing and cake filling buckets, new buckets purchased from Ropak and 60 gallon pickle barrels.

What you want to AVOID is any container that held cleaners, chemicals, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top