Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2008 3:30:31 PM EDT
I have mylar bags, big ones (5gal) and lil ones (1gal) but i'm thinking of filling the smaller food saver bags with rice throwing in an oxygen absorber and then vacuum sealing and then storing in smaller portions inside a Gamma seal lid bucket....

any thoughts on the food saver bag as opposed to mylar?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people say to double bag so the rice doesn't puncture the outer sealed layer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven' been able to find any time issues, such as the mylar will outlast the food saver bag (in a reasonable) amout of time.  It's just me and my wife so I hate to do 5 gal. bags of rice and break that open and have rice down the crapper cuz we can't eat it fast enough.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
food  saver bags are clear plastic right? they will be permeable just like zip locks and other plastics. mylars will last longer!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Foodsaver bags are plastic, and plastic will allow the outside to get in after time. If you are worried than to 1gal mylar bags. It shouldn't take long to burn through, and you can always reseal it. Anyways if you open a 1 gallon bag and somehow let it go bad you are out a few bucks?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Foodsaver bags are plastic, and plastic will allow the outside to get in after time. If you are worried than to 1gal mylar bags. It shouldn't take long to burn through, and you can always reseal it. Anyways if you open a 1 gallon bag and somehow let it go bad you are out a few bucks?

As much as I value everyone's opinion and input, not all plastics allow oxygen/air seepage.  and it wasn't so much a matter of cost as...  when surviving in a survival situation, with limited supplies of rice...  i wouldn't want to be throwing much if any out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to www.sorbentsystems.com/index.html

You can buy several different sizes of mylar bags.
Or you can cut the mylar bags you have to whatever size you want
Or you can foodsave the rice into your desired size, then place a bunch in a mylar bag

I wouldn't trust just the foodsaver bag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I haven' been able to find any time issues, such as the mylar will outlast the food saver bag (in a reasonable) amout of time.  It's just me and my wife so I hate to do 5 gal. bags of rice and break that open and have rice down the crapper cuz we can't eat it fast enough.

I hear what others are saying about the risks of just using foodsaver bags.  But, I put up about 15 gallons of beans and rice this way in smaller "chunks."  My reasons were similar to yours....plus now my eggs are literally in more than one basket and they are more mobile.  I used the foodsaver and then put the "bricks" into clean 5 gal buckets and sealed them up.  Been about 2 years and no leaks yet...

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go to www.sorbentsystems.com/index.html

You can buy several different sizes of mylar bags.
Or you can cut the mylar bags you have to whatever size you want
Or you can foodsave the rice into your desired size, then place a bunch in a mylar bag

I wouldn't trust just the foodsaver bag.

Any particular reason?  or just a hunch?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I own and regularly use a foodsaver.

Over time I have noticed that some items, like rice, will puncture the bag, allowing air in and thus ruining the vacuum.  I don't worry about that now because if it is put in a sealed mylar bag, it doesn't matter if the foodsaver bag is punctured.

A little redundancy is always a good thing...
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Over time I have noticed that some items, like rice, will puncture the bag, allowing air in and thus ruining the vacuum.  I don't worry about that now because if it is put in a sealed mylar bag, it doesn't matter if the foodsaver bag is punctured.

Kind of what i was thinkin on doin.  O2 absorber in the foodsaver bag, and then put a couple of my smaller portioned foodsaver packages into a mylar bag and O2 that and seal it...  and a couple of those then placed in a plastic bucket..  

Would think that if I put on O2 absorber in the foodsaver bag and then just not pull such a strong vac, that the rice wouldn't poke through.   I'm gonna do some this weekend and will get some pics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had rice foodsaved for over 2 years, no punctures, and the bags are still as tight as the day they were sealed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know it's less efficient, but I buy beans and rice a little bit at a time from the grocery store.  It comes in a plastic bag that I put into the foodsaver.  The plastic that the rice/beans already comes in keeps the foodsaver bags from being punctured.

-K
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure what you buy, but my Foodsaver bags are pretty tough.  If you are going to put an O2 absorber in, why not just end the vaccuum cycle a bit early so the brick is not so tight?  Most O2 will have been sucked out, the absorber gets the rest, and the bag is not quite tight enough to worry about rice puncturing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As much as I value everyone's opinion and input, not all plastics allow oxygen/air seepage.  and it wasn't so much a matter of cost as...  when surviving in a survival situation, with limited supplies of rice...  i wouldn't want to be throwing much if any out.

With a one gallon mylar bag of rice you would consume all of it far more quickly than it would go bad (if it is stored in a cool, dark, dry place.) I agree with the storing in smaller bags concept because in most SHTF scenarios, the length of time will be short, and i think the process of doing 5 1gal bags is easier than doing 1 5gal bag 5 times. Foodsaver bags are NOT impeameable. Mylar bags are not much more expensive, and they are not that much more work to setup. Do what works best for you, but this is what works best for most of the people, most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Not sure what you buy, but my Foodsaver bags are pretty tough.  If you are going to put an O2 absorber in, why not just end the vaccuum cycle a bit early so the brick is not so tight?  Most O2 will have been sucked out, the absorber gets the rest, and the bag is not quite tight enough to worry about rice puncturing it.

Kind of what i was saying here....

Quoted:
Would think that if I put on O2 absorber in the foodsaver bag and then just not pull such a strong vac, that the rice wouldn't poke through.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kind of what i was saying here....

Quoted:
Would think that if I put on O2 absorber in the foodsaver bag and then just not pull such a strong vac, that the rice wouldn't poke through.  

Looks I got caught not thoroughly reading the OP .  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top