Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2008 12:29:34 PM EDT
a tent. I have a piece of ACU fabric 90" by 60", 1000 denier and waterproofed. Looking to make a bivy tent. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
try your local shoe repair place, they can usually sew large heavy things.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Saddle/Tack shop or an upholstery shop.,....
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a few suggestions in this thread:
Tactical Seamstress
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
how about arfcom's own thereisnospoon?  some examples of his work (and others) are here.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Protus is fairly good at making survival tents as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
a tent. I have a piece of ACU fabric 90" by 60", 1000 denier and waterproofed. Looking to make a bivy tent. Thanks.

Quoted:
how about arfcom's own thereisnospoon?  some examples of his work (and others) are here.

sppon does custom tent work.
i mainly do solo line 2/ghb silnylon tarps.

lil heavy for a tent, but thats just me . get with spoon, he'll help ya out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
90" by 60" is barely enough for a decent sleeping bag. My bags are 84X42 and they seem confining at times.  I think you need a bit more fabric for intended use. By the time the edges are folded for sewing, you'll have a straighjacket.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
90" by 60" is barely enough for a decent sleeping bag. My bags are 84X42 and they seem confining at times.  I think you need a bit more fabric for intended use. By the time the edges are folded for sewing, you'll have a straighjacket.

After finishing the edge at a bare minimum you'll have 88"x28" on each side...even if you're leaving alot of airspace on the sides is a very small non-lighweight tent.

Pete
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After finishing the edge at a bare minimum you'll have 88"x28" on each side...even if you're leaving alot of airspace on the sides is a very small non-lighweight tent.

Pete

min for anything imho is  4x7... thats it,, cover yourself tight to the floor and lay there.

5x8's are perfect for single use.. gives  you enough room to put your gear( with me at 5'11 my pack at my feet..line2 at my head,,no issues in the rain)
also they give you enough that you can set them up high enough to sit under but still be low enough  to keep rains and some wind off y ou.

1000d and 90x60 wont do much... again contact spoon.. send him your fabric and let him make you a kick ass solo bivy which he shows on his site,,, he's got a few cool lil designs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top