Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/1/2008 3:45:37 PM EDT
I picked up a nice small 1Gb thumbdrive and the first thing I thought of is "What would the survival forum put on this thing?"

I already have a copy of "Where there is no doctor" and "Where there is no dentist" in .pdf format on it and i'd like to scan and save copies of my mortgage info and insurance info.

What else do I put on this thing?  Since much of what will be on it is .pdf or text, it is going to take quite a while to fill up 1Gb.  Links to info/files would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone on here did an EXCELLENT post a year or two ago.Popped up a few times.One of teh best things I've ever seen on here.

Birth certs,SS,bank account info,credit cards stuff, titles,wills,paystubs,manuals,inventories,etc

And it was all wrapped in a secure package.
Hopefully, someone has a link to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep deeds, titles, insurance info., birth certificate, driver's license, vaccination records, medical info., bank statements, etc.  I wouldn't want to lose it!
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
make sure you use some type of cryp software like trucryp to protect it. that info isn't something you want falling out of your pocket unprotected
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I use one of these.

IronKey

The ultimate when it comes to data security and privacy.  Hell... it's even got a self-destruct sequence.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
  I used to torrent some public domain books, but
the hard disk gave out this summer and I lost them.

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use one of these.

IronKey

The ultimate when it comes to data security and privacy.  Hell... it's even got a self-destruct sequence.  

These are the SHIT - I own a 4GB and I LOVE IT. Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto on the IronKey. Have yet to pick one up for personal use, but have used them for work in the past. I do advise to use the backup though. It has saved my but several times when some JA thought they knew the password and tried to access my stuff while I was sleeping.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you have to put on the USB drive to be able to read a PDF file on a computer without the normal Adobe readers?
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What do you have to put on the USB drive to be able to read a PDF file on a computer without the normal Adobe readers?

portableapps.com/apps

These folks have a whole suite of apps that you can get in one file or if you want you can pick and choose here is a PDF reader.

Sumatra PDF Portable
the portable PDF viewer
Sumatra PDF Portable is the lightweight Sumatra PDF packaged as a portable app, so you can view PDF files on the go. You can place it on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind.
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont have any experience using IronKey but I've been playing with the Corsair Micro Padlock. They use a hardware based locking system thats platform independent. So far I have no complaints with it.
www.corsairmicro.com/products/padlock.aspx
Newegg has the 2 gig for $35.00
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I already have a copy of "Where there is no doctor" and "Where there is no dentist" in .pdf format on it and i'd like to scan and save copies of my mortgage info and insurance info.

Thanks.

Where does one get these pdf's?
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can try Foxit
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What else do I put on this thing?

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=460965
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=496737
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=123&t=504485

ar-jedi

ETA:

here is my encrypted directory structure:

auto/
- pics of my truck and wifes car.
- scan of vehicle registrations for above.
- scan of vehicle insurance for above.
- pdf repair manual for my truck.

bins/
- binaries of applications, e.g. Acrobat, Truecrypt, EchoLink, Firefox Portable, PortaPutty, etc

financial/
- prior year tax return
- scan of bank account statement.
- scan of employer paystub.
- scan of employer 401K account.
- scan of Fidelity brokerage account statement.
- scan of one each credit card statements.

firearms/
- scan of any transaction records proving i'm the lawful owner.
- pics of weapons for insurance purposes.
- name, address, & number of a couple of FFL's.
- PDF versions of teardown/cleaning manuals.

gps/
- PDF manuals for my Etrex and Magellan RM800.
- latest application to download new firmware to gps's in case of corruption.

ham/
- scan of amateur radio license.
- scan of RACES/ARES cards.
- pics of rigs for insurance purposes.
- field expedient antenna construction articles.
- PDF user manuals for VX170, IC24AT, IC703+, V8000, FT8800, etc
- FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies.
- various frequency reference guides for local police/fire/govt.

house/
- scan of deed.
- scans of mortgage paperwork.
- scans of any township docs (tax assessment, etc).

insurance/
- scan of homeowner's insurance policy.
- pictures of items which have non-trivial replacement costs (e.g., wife's engagement ring).
- scans of appraisals for any items which have non-trivial replacement costs.
- scan of life insurance policy
- scan of will

maps/
- East coast, state, and county maps in PDF format.
- above, annotated with PDF postnotes regarding "places of interest".

medical/
- PDF of FM4-25.11, basic military first aid.
- PDF for proper application of a tourniquet in the field.
- various other first aid reference manuals.

numbers/
- scan of household address book, includes all family/friends/etc.
- PDF of number directory at work.
- text file with contents of cellphone memory.

passports/
- scans of my and my wife's passports.

pics/
- family pictures.
- parents / siblings pictures.

shtf/
- SHTF planning documents
- PDF survival guides, desert/blizzard/shelter building/etc
- 14 part PDF survival document from WHO
> 1 - Cleaning and disinfecting wells.pdf
> 2 - Cleaning and disinfecting boreholes.pdf
> 3 - Cleaning and disinfecting water storage tanks.pdf
> 4 - Rehabilitating small-scale water distributions systems.pdf
> 5 - Emergency treatment of drinking water.pdf
> 6 - Rehabilitating water treatment works.pdf
> 7 - Solid waste management in emergencies.pdf
> 8 - Disposal of dead bodies.pdf
> 9 - Minimum water quantity.pdf
> 10 - Essential hygiene messages.pdf
> 11 - How to measure chlorine residual.pdf
> 12 - Delivering safe water.pdf
> 13 - Emergency sanitation - planning.pdf
> 14 - Emergency sanitation - technical.pdf

wallet/
- scans (front and back) of everything in my wallet, incl credit cards, DL, NJ FID, social security card, employer ID, healthcare cards, etc. note that it's important to scan the back as there is always useful info there -- for example, generally the "report lost/stolen card" contact number for your credit card company is on the back.

------

anyway, that's what i have on my 1GB USB key. my Truecrypt file is 400MB big, and i keep a copy of that same file on my home PC, my wife's laptop, my work computer, and obviously on my USB key on my person. once a year i snail-mail a burned CD to my parents out in PA, and tell them to put it in with their important papers.

forgot to say that you should dupe everything for your wife/SO/GF

ar-jedi

ETA #2
ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/05/10/03/2214221.shtml?tid=126&tid=198&tid=4

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Secure it with

www.truecrypt.org/

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does one get these pdf's?

The Hesperian Foundation website has downloadable versions of the "Where there is no..." series of booklets.

(Reportedly, the entire "Where there is no Doctor" booklet can be downloaded in one fell swoop at this link, rather than having to download each chapter individually).

Slightly OT, but why is there no comprehensive list of downloadable survival-related publications in the ARFCOM "Essential Survival Guides & Fiction" forum?
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Secure it with
www.truecrypt.org/
-Foxxz

+ 1,048,576.

the HUGE ADVANTAGE with using TrueCrypt over a "hardware encrypted USB drive" is that you can store, copy, transmit, duplicate, etc etc your TrueCrypt vault (= a file) as many times as you want, in as many places as you want, on as many types of media as you want.  

in other words, you fell into the water, your USB key is ruined?  

no problem, your TrueCrypt vault is also on your PC's hard drive at home, on your PC at work, on another USB flash drive in your BOB, on another USB flash drive in your BOV center console, on a CD at your parents house in a drawer, on a CD in a safe deposit box in a bank, on a networked server fileshare on the other side of the world, etc etc etc.

2 is 1, 1 is none.  
having one HW-encrypted store of your stuff is a single point of failure.

ar-jedi

ETA, from a prior post

Quoted:
FYI is there any advantage to the thumb drive over a couple of CD's?

the USB drive is easily updatable as new info is found/old info is changed. the USB key is easier to hang around your neck, or stuff in your BOB/pack. but keep reading...

Quoted:
Can you set a password for the thumb drive?

don't encrypt the entire USB key. instead, see my link above for TrueCrypt software (open source, free, very good). use it to make an encrypted container, and that's where your docs will go into.

ETA:
the main reason you don't want to encrypt the entire key is that in order to decrypt the key on some random computer you found, you would first need to install the decryption software. which you would get from where? so there is a chicken-vs-egg problem.

hence, make a container within the USB key; encrypt that. OUTSIDE THE CONTAINER, place the truecrypt installer application AND use the "Make Traveller" function from within truecrypt. the latter will add all the necessary bits to the USB key to unencrypt the container without having to actully install truecrypt on the PC. and, having the actual installer application is just backup.

don't make the container larger than about 600-650MB. why not? keep reading...

Quoted:
Is it EMP proof?

no one knows. so, in true ARFCOM fashion, "get both". make a CD copy once every 6 months or so, and perhaps keep a second USB key in an RF proof box somewhere with the rest of your electronic SHTF stuff. nevertheless, if there is an EMP strong enough to take out your USB key, it probably means you have huge problems forthcoming!

as noted way way way above, i periodically make a copy of my USB key onto a CD, and send it off to my parents in another state (aka cheap offsite storage). this is why you should not make the encrypted container larger than 600-650MB -- otherwise it will not fit onto a CD.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I use one of these.

IronKey

These are the SHIT - I own a 4GB and I LOVE IT. Excellent choice.

... Cool, been looking for something of this nature myself - thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Secure it with

www.truecrypt.org/

-Foxxz

FYI:

TrueCrypt "How to Create and Use a TrueCrypt Container":
www.truecrypt.org/docs/tutorial.php

click "Next" at the bottom to continue on.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
in almost all cases, you want to use TrueCrypt to make encrypted CONTAINERS,
not encrypted PARTITIONS or DEVICES.

from
www.truecrypt.org/docs/truecrypt-volume.php

TrueCrypt Volume

There are two types of TrueCrypt volumes:

* File-hosted (container)
* Partition/device-hosted

WANT -->
A TrueCrypt file-hosted volume is a normal file, which can reside on any type of storage device. It contains (hosts) a completely independent encrypted virtual disk device.

DO NOT WANT -->
A TrueCrypt partition is a hard disk partition encrypted using TrueCrypt. You can also encrypt entire hard disks, USB hard disks, floppy disks, USB memory sticks, and other types of storage devices.

rest of info here:
www.truecrypt.org/docs/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
unix/linux fluent?

$ mkdir combat-life-saver-course-files
$ cd combat-life-saver-course-files
$ wget http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/shtf/combat-life-saver-url-list-2.txt
$ for line in `cat combat-life-saver-url-list-2.txt`
do
wget $line
done
$

now go get some coffee, it'll be a half hour or so.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
I have all my private information...DD-250...That must be one REALLY important MIRR...
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
why in hell wud ya wanna encrypt anything in a true SHTF scenario - there wont be any electric and scavengers could give a shit less about ure personal shit on ure comp - they be lookin for food and guns/bullets - put sumthin useful like all the firefox books - most can be found on the net - and then again u could put all the free games for the kids - but ya better have some power - and thats my 2 cents - i could go on but thats my rave for tonite
Link Posted: 1/1/2008 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
why in hell wud ya wanna encrypt anything in a true SHTF scenario - there wont be any electric and scavengers could give a shit less about ure personal shit on ure comp - they be lookin for food and guns/bullets - put sumthin useful like all the firefox books - most can be found on the net - and then again u could put all the free games for the kids - but ya better have some power - and thats my 2 cents - i could go on but thats my rave for tonite

A true SHTF scenario is not likely to be the MadMax TEOTWAWKI fantasy that you're bucking for.

It's more likely to be a personal SHFT situation like a house fire, earthquake, flood, burglary, etc....

Having important documents contained on a secure flash drive is not only smart, it might just save your family's livelihood.

It's not all about bullets 'n beanie weenies, my friend.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 2:59:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I go about ENCRYPTION in a somewhat different manner than listed by several above...

Rather than create ONE large encrypted data file with all the files inside, I encrypt SMALL GROUPS of similar files using PGP's "self decrypting" feature, which is an EXECUTABLE file, so PGP program to decrypt is self-contained, no need for PGP on host computer.

I compartmentalize the data... just as the pros do (.gov/.mil/cia/nsa/etc) This allows you to OPEN (decrypt) only the DATA NEEDED for task at hand (ID checkpoint, for example), yet keep your more SENSITIVE DATA secured and encrypted.

With the CONTAINER method, once you mount (decrypt) the container, ALL YOUR DATA is exposed and open (unless you have encrypted containers INSIDE encrypted containers [nested]). That is RISKY, as you do not know what computer you may need to use, where you may be, or who may be looking over your shoulder. Your pics of your firearms or SHTF data may not be what you want "exposed" at a border checkpoint, for example.

My method:
I first zip up the "grouped files", which XP makes simple (send to> compressed folder). I then encrypt the zip with PGP using self-contained .exe feature (credit_cards.sda.exe) This file is now encrypted with ultra-strong 1024 or 2048 bit algorithms yet only contains the files needed for a SPECIFIC PURPOSE or NEED.

I then store these files in appropriate directories for easy access...

This also helps with possible DATA CORRUPTION as well. If an encrypted container (one large file) gets CORRUPTED somehow, all your data is USELESS, as it is all in one file. Yet if you use DISTRIBUTED methodology, if one file gets corrupted only that data is gone, yet your other data files are still usable.

The same "self-extracting / self-contained" feature is available on most decent encryption programs, so PGP is not needed. I just use PGP since I am familiar with it and have used it for over a decade, way back in the "crypto war" days. I presently still use the Cyber-Knights Templar version 08 of PGP 6.5.8 for Windows (no key length limitations).

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

from WV.... nuf' said.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#28]
The only problem I have with the USB drive is that you need a computer to view it's contents.  I on the other hand, I'm putting all my info on a SD card.  The reason I'm doing that is so I can view it on my PDA.  My PDA is also my GPS system, my personal library, my address book, my video game system, my mp3 player, my DVD player, and my viewable photo album.  That way I can view all  my documents (including .pdf files)  any time I need to, with out having to find a computer to borrow.  It also come with some security software, or you can use some of the software that some of the members have suggested.  They also make small adapters, so you can use the SD card in a USB slot, just like a USB drive.  The SD card is so small you can even put in you wallet.  Just something for you to think about.

Thank you asking about this subject, I have gotten a lot of great info on what to add to my SHIF SD card.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been wanting to scan every picture in our house and put it in a safe deposit box. If a fire ever hits our

house it won't be as bad as if all of our pictures were burned up.

Link Posted: 1/2/2008 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Fantastic info in this thread.  Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I picked up a nice small 1Gb thumbdrive and the first thing I thought of is "What would the survival forum put on this thing?"

What else do I put on this thing?  Since much of what will be on it is .pdf or text, it is going to take quite a while to fill up 1Gb.  Links to info/files would be appreciated.

Thanks.

if the SHTF and you still have power, then the SH has not hit TF.   Things like Where there is no doctor/dentist should be kept in printed format, so you can use it when there really is no doctor/dentist.  

Now insurance info, mortgage, important docs, identity confirming documents, pictures of property that the tornado destroyed that you can show your claims adjuster, that stuff should all go on the Drive.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#35]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The only problem I have with the USB drive is that you need a computer to view it's contents.  I on the other hand, I'm putting all my info on a SD card.  The reason I'm doing that is so I can view it on my PDA.  My PDA is also my GPS system, my personal library, my address book, my video game system, my mp3 player, my DVD player, and my viewable photo album.  That way I can view all  my documents (including .pdf files)  any time I need to, with out having to find a computer to borrow.  It also come with some security software, or you can use some of the software that some of the members have suggested.  They also make small adapters, so you can use the SD card in a USB slot, just like a USB drive.  The SD card is so small you can even put in you wallet.  Just something for you to think about.

Thank you asking about this subject, I have gotten a lot of great info on what to add to my SHIF SD card.

Exactly. I have a 2gb micro SD card that can go in my (windows mobile) phone/pda - anything that isn't secure I can access on the PDA, everything else is truecrypted on the same card and can be accessed on a PC through a (tiiny) USB adapter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#37]
The Corsair Survivor is rugged, fast and dependable, and comes with Truecrypt preinstalled.  It's got a little bulk on it compared to the thumb drives, but it will take a beating.

Alpine
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Great thread.  I use a tiny flash drive (a Crucial Gizmo Jr) that stays in my wallet, which means I always have it.

The drive I use:

Sold at Newegg.com
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#39]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Please remember that these usb drives have a limited life span.  In my experience this type of memory has a 5-6 year max life span (perhaps longer or shorter depending on who made it) before they begin to have retention problems.  Not saying it's not a good idea, just don't mislead yourself into believing they last forever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only problem I have with the USB drive is that you need a computer to view it's contents.  I on the other hand, I'm putting all my info on a SD card. ...

Great idea!  Which PDA do you use?

With the SD card you can get a reader that will make it work just like jumpdrive so you get both options.
Link
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Some newer phones have a memory card in them, my nokia has a 1 gb card, and with a standard mini USB cable, any computer can read the file system.  I always have my phone with me.  just a thought.

Link Posted: 1/2/2008 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
why in hell wud ya wanna encrypt anything in a true SHTF scenario - there wont be any electric and scavengers could give a shit less about ure personal shit on ure comp

Encryption isn't so much for protecting your sensitive data after THSHTF as it is for protecting your data before TSHTF.

Carrying around your family's birth certificates, Social Security Numbers, bank account and credit card info, etc. on an unencypted drive (or even an unencrypted laptop) is like walking around with a huge PLEASE STEAL MY IDENTITY AND CLEAN OUT MY CHECKING ACCOUNT!!! sign pasted on your forehead.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from WV.... nuf' said.

Rmpl

f'ing classic!  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I am currently using an Ipaq 2215, it uses both SD and compact flash cards.  However I am thinking of upgrading to the new Ipaq 111.  Mostly due to damage to my old unit, and I would like to have a faster processor.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Slightly OT, but why is there no comprehensive list of downloadable survival-related publications in the ARFCOM "Essential Survival Guides & Fiction" forum?

When that forum first opened I posted several new threads that were each dedicated to a different survival related topic. Only one got any real interest and was thankfully tacked. I have been trying to maintain the links and update with pertinent content as I find stuff.

There was some discussion about creating a "Forum Resources" section above the regular threads, much like the AR-15 Ammo forum has,  to cover such non fiction topics but it never materialized and I have no idea why - might have something to do with the abundance of fiction threads in the forum.

Pick a subject and start a new thread and I'll do what I can to support it!
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Any more links to important files, programs, etc?  I'm still looking to add things.

And for questions like "but you won't have a computer if SHTF", as has been stated, SHTF isn't necessarily a total breakdown of society or "Lights Out" scenario, it can also include localized disasters or personal disasters like fire, earthquake, flood, etc. which is why i'm asking for both ideas on what documents to have stored as well as survival manual things.

I also back up and send copies of important info to both my parents and the in-laws for safe keeping, but as is almost cliche here, 2 is 1, 1 is none.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow, thanks to this thread, I'm up and running with TrueCrypt (awesome) and well on my way to having my docs scanned and backed up. Installed my old Epson flatbed last night (thank goodness they still support drivers for it) and scanned my wallet stuff. Tonight I'm hitting the safe and zapping all that stuff too.

Special thanks to AR-Jedi for a great list of documents to gather.
Link Posted: 2/12/2008 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#50]
tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top