User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:53:59 AM EDT
Here it is packed up.

Here it is unpacked.

Breakdown of the items:

Cheap Nalgene ripoff that seems to be just as good of quality
Cheap carabiner
Waterproof match box with strike anywhere matches coated in wax and a cotton ball
100' roll of duct tape
3 function head lamp that uses 3 AAAs
Cheapo fork/spoon/knife set
Chem light
Whistle
Bic Lighter
GI can opener
Ceapo compass
3 fire sticks
Reusable hand warmer
Cheapo but light LED flashlight that uses 1 AA.  It's no Surefire but you can easily see across the room with it in pitch black darkness.

One item that I'd like to add would be a stainless, foldable canteen cup that fits over the bottle.  Unfortunately you can't find them in stores anymore.  If Nalgene wants to bitch about people offering products that fit their products then maybe they should start offering the products themselves.  I'm also going to pick up some 550 cord.  Anyway, what do you guys think I could add to this?  I want it to be simple but useful.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Those look really cool, and it's a good way to get your not so prepared friends to start thinking preparedness

How much $ you got in those?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
looks good to me.
i would throw in a 55gal drum liner.  you can make them into a solar still, a poncho or a rain fly.
also more matches. i would leave out the chem light.  

depending on the budget.
i would upgrade the knife and add a sharpener.  a small swiss army knife will have the can opener and blades.
replace the two lights with one mini mag light and add batteries.  add a large needle and little spool of nylon thread.
i would also add a travel sized box of Kleenex to be used as TP tinder and wound dressing.
how about a little bottle of ever clear for would cleaning and fire starting.      

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Those look really cool, and it's a good way to get your not so prepared friends to start thinking preparedness

How much $ you got in those?

$25 each so far.  I found some "skier in a bottle" kits at Sport's Authority on clearance for $5 each.  I bought 4 of them because I needed a couple more bottles, anyway.  The rest of the stuff from those bottles went into my wife and my gloveboxes.  The headlamp was the only really expensive thing at $15.  The rest I just bought off of the cheapo camping stuff rack at Sportman's Warehouse for about a buck or so per item.  Most of the stuff came in pairs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice idea.  I wish you were my dad.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
looks good to me.
i would throw in a 55gal drum liner.  you can make them into a solar still, a poncho or a rain fly.

depending on the budget.
i would upgrade the knife and add a sharpener.  a small swiss army knife will have the can opener and blades.
replace the two lights with one mini mag light and add batteries.  add a large needle and little spool of nylon thread.
i would also add a travel sized box of Kleenex to be used as TP tinder and wound dressing.

I'll probably pick up a 12 pack of Heineken keg cans tonight so that I can make some penny alcohol stoves.  I also want to get one of those little nalgene bottle kits that comes with 10 or so little bottles for various stuff, including everclear.  The flashlight is about as bright as a mini mag w/ led conversion and it has rubber grommets around all of the places where you screw it together so I really don't see a reason to upgrade that.  I can't fit any more matches into the match box tube so that's all that they're getting .  The Kleenex is a good idea.  I'll just add some MRE tp to each one.  I thought about getting a small pack of dental floss with a couple of needles taped to the outside.  I also might put together a small fishing kit for each one.  A few hooks, a few weights and some line should do the trick.  I just need to find a container for them.  I just added the chem lights because I had spares and they do come in pretty handy.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#6]
$25 isn't bad, one thing that might be nice to add is a small survival how to booklet, even if you downloaded a copy off the internet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
looks good to me.

depending on the budget.

I'll probably pick up a 12 pack of Heineken keg cans tonight so that I can make some penny alcohol stoves.  I also want to get one of those little nalgene bottle kits that comes with 10 or so little bottles for various stuff, including everclear.  The flashlight is about as bright as a mini mag w/ led conversion and it has rubber grommets around all of the places where you screw it together so I really don't see a reason to upgrade that.  I can't fit any more matches into the match box tube so that's all that they're getting .  The Kleenex is a good idea.  I'll just add some MRE tp to each one.  I thought about getting a small pack of dental floss with a couple of needles taped to the outside.  I also might put together a small fishing kit for each one.  A few hooks, a few weights and some line should do the trick.  I just need to find a container for them.  I just added the chem lights because I had spares and they do come in pretty handy.  

the only reason i would go with the mini mag is it's aluminum body will let you use it as an impact weapon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Something good to include in this kind of kit, especially if it's intended for people who don't normally think about preparedness, is a sheet with a list of included items on one side, and some simple instructions on the other side.

--Do not move about aimlessly

--Make wind and water proof shelter

--To make a fire, gather two handfuls of twigs about the size of a pencil, two handfuls of slightly larger sticks, and some bigger pieces of wood.  To light fire, make small pile of the smallest twigs around the cotton ball or piece of a fire stick..  Light cotton with match and as twigs catch fire, add larger and larger pieces.  Fire is like a baby, you need to keep it fed.

--Etc.

I would also include a piece of sandpaper or the striker from a matchbox for the matches, even though they are strike anywheres.

See if you can squeeze in a small Swiss Army Knife, or half a hacksaw blade with one end wrapped in electrical tape for a grip.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought some Alice packs for my kids and thier husbands. At Christmas  They are

going to pack their own BOB out of a big box of stuff I bought at Fun shows this year.

Headlamps, Grundigs, Cree Led lights, SAS books, Sweetwater filters, gloves, rifle cleaning kits, MREs,  Esbit stoves. P-51 can openers. 550 cord, bow saws, hacksaw blades.  the mini AM FWM SW radios, etc.

These are mainly for their BOVs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Add some heavy duty aluminum foil if ya cant find the cups.  It is a PITA but you can use it for a pot.  Also maybe a cheap survival blanket.  Admittedly they suck but it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice, I carry one that I made whenever we hit the mountians. A couple suggested adds some 550 cord and a whistle. I also found a bottle top that has a compas built in, think I paid three bucks for it at REI.  Very good gift idea may hav to try it for some folks I go hiking with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I would add a survival blanket, or a piece of plastic sheeting, a swiss army knife, some granola bars, some first aid stuff, band aids etc.  I would also add some asprin/tylonol/IBProfen.  And some para cord.

You have light sticks and two flashlights. I would get rid of the headlamp since it take up a lot of room. The SAK would replace the knife, can opener etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bought some Alice packs for my kids and thier husbands. At Christmas  They are

going to pack their own BOB out of a big box of stuff I bought at Fun shows this year.

Headlamps, Grundigs, Cree Led lights, SAS books, Sweetwater filters, gloves, rifle cleaning kits, MREs,  Esbit stoves. P-51 can openers. 550 cord, bow saws, hacksaw blades.  the mini AM FWM SW radios, etc.

These are mainly for their BOVs.

That is a great idea!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#14]
If you have room add a Heat Sheet survival blanket by Adventure Medical kits.  These blankets have first aid and wilderness survival information printed on them.  When I build first aid kits  for people I make sure I include one of these.  

I would also add a Brunton Life Card.  It is three plastic cards with first aid and survival information printed on both sides.  There is also a plastic magnifying lens.  These are packed in a plastic sleeve.  Oh, I almost forgot.  There is a small compass that you can remove from one of the plastic cards.  Place the compass on some water and it will point north.  (I would not want this to be my only compass)

I would also add some coffee filters in the event they would have to fill the bottle from an outside source.  This will keep big debris out of the bottle.  If you have room. add a bottle of iodine tablets.

I would check the Adventure Medical kits website and the Brunton website.

I salute you for trying to "jump start" your loved ones thinking toward being more prepared.

Medicguy
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a big swiss army knife fan.  I'll probably get some small multi tools and throw those in instead.  I plan on adding paracord but I haven't made it down to the surplus store yet.  I don't like the crap that they sell in the big box stores because it's always gutted.  I'll probably throw in a couple of survival blankets.  The headlamp stays.  I already took them out of the package .  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for starting this thread. It has inspired me to put together bottle kits for my family.

Funny you mention not being a fan of the swiss army knife (SAK). When I began backpacking I started with a fixed blade knife, then a folding knife, then a SAK, then a smaller SAK, then the smallest SAK. I found the small SAK with one or two blades, a scissors, tooth pick, tweezers to the the single most useful item I carried for extended day trips.  

I love multitools but I don't use them every day and have found it inconvienant to carry the weight around with me.  On the other hand, I use a SAK every single day.

When it comes right down to it, a SAK, a keychain LED light and a pack of matches/small lighter will pretty much get you through anything.

What would you guys think of including a small FRS/GMRS Walkie talkie weather radio in each bottle and/or a tiny AM/FM radio?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm putting together a basic kit for my son's webelow pack of 8 boyss. Just a basic first aid kit, water bottle, a flashlight and a lightwieght poncho. Ithought stuff like that would com in handy for next you summer camp. this ia work in progress and wish i could put more in it but been off work for wrist surgery.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Something good to include in this kind of kit, especially if it's intended for people who don't normally think about preparedness, is a sheet with a list of included items on one side, and some simple instructions on the other side.

--Do not move about aimlessly

--Make wind and water proof shelter

--To make a fire, gather two handfuls of twigs about the size of a pencil, two handfuls of slightly larger sticks, and some bigger pieces of wood.  To light fire, make small pile of the smallest twigs around the cotton ball or piece of a fire stick..  Light cotton with match and as twigs catch fire, add larger and larger pieces.  Fire is like a baby, you need to keep it fed.

--Etc.

I would also include a piece of sandpaper or the striker from a matchbox for the matches, even though they are strike anywheres.

See if you can squeeze in a small Swiss Army Knife, or half a hacksaw blade with one end wrapped in electrical tape for a grip.

For the non-survival types:

RULE of 3's - PRIORITIZE
3 seconds without security
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
3 months without hope
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top