Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/27/2007 3:51:13 PM EDT
just wondering. is there some kind of cool survival tid-bit, skill, easy to make item, useful quote or phrase, something to remember during survival/ SHTF situation, ect. any of you guys know about post it here!!

best one wins a cookie!!

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
During SHTF, when ZOMBIES are chasing you,  you dont have to be the fastest, jus be faster than your buddy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
be prepared
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
be prepared

.com
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep breathing
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
don't die.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't piss off the giant fucking gorrilla.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't eat yellow snow.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
just wondering. is there some kind of cool survival tid-bit, skill, easy to make item, useful quote or phrase, something to remember during survival/ SHTF situation, ect. any of you guys know about post it here!!

best one wins a cookie!!

Only the strong survive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
WATCH OUT WHERE THE HUSKIES GO..
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
avoid fighting eskimo's
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm an avid outdoorsman, have been all my life.  I *LIVE* by this:

"The mountain doesn't care".

No matter how experienced or how well prepared you think you are, the mountain doesn't care.  You always have to be vigilant regarding the unexpected.

I damn near drowned last summer up in RMNP because I forgot that very thing.  I certainly won't make the same mistake twice!

Fearless
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

best one wins a cookie!!

Only the strongsmart survive.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Get in shape.

Can you cut wood with an axe all day?

Can you hike 5 miles with a pack full of gear? How far will you have to haul water or food from a trading post?

Do you know how to make a fire and stay warm in the dead of winter?

Can you live without TV? Internet? Cell phone? Can your kids survive without them?

It is fine if you have food and water but being put back into the 1800's with a day fulll of work and little outside enteretainment will drive some people crazy!!!

Can you or your kids live without an ipod blasting into their ears... I know of some kids who have told my kids that they can't stand silence. And wanted to know how my kids handle living without ipods Those familes are going to have it rough when the SHTF.

ETA: Can you live without your daily ARFCOM fix? That will be hard for me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

Bring 2 guns, and a good knife
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

Always bring a big gun and know how to use it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't survive.  If you're 'surviving', then you're not having fun.  I hate that word...

I have a pretty specific definition. If you're having fun, then you aren't in survival mode. I mean, if I shipwreck on a deserted island, and I put up a little shelter, make a good fire, catch and cook some fish, and lay around on the beach working on my tan, I'm not exactly surviving. I'm having a vacation. My wife gets pissed off at me because sometimes see a place on TV and say, "I wish *I* could manage to get stranded in a place like that."

She says, "Wouldn't you miss us?"

And I say, "Well, I'm stranded! I may as well enjoy myself!"

Doesn't go over well...

Shane
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
avoid fighting eskimo's

and damn sure keep away from the eskimo zombies.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

hell, bring 10 guns.  but DONT FORGET THE AMMO!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
True story:  

Spent a long cold night on a remote Alaskan mountain top and to make a fire we used moss and animal fat burned and rendered or dripped into a tuna can for a heat stove.  That and the emergency sleeping blanket mylar style saved two lives.  hell I slept well! No hyporthermia and all is well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The best one liner for surviving I ever heard was from a Drill Sgt.

"Stay alert, stay alive."

AC, we talked about the Eskimo thing over a candle one evening.

The reason you don't fuck with eskimos is that they don't have the pressure points most of us do and they don't feel pain the same. I believe the cold weather has cause their nerves to recede back into the body a bit, or some shit.

True fact though, you get in it with an Eskimo, inuit, etc, you will have to knock them out or kill them and they don't knock out easy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No matter how experienced or how well prepared you think you are, the mountain doesn't care.  You always have to be vigilant regarding the unexpected.

I damn near drowned last summer up in RMNP because I forgot that very thing.  I certainly won't make the same mistake twice!

Fearless

wow the first real one..... thank you

oh shit did i post this in GD or a technical forum?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Get in shape.

Can you cut wood with an axe all day?  yep

Can you hike 5 miles with a pack full of gear? How far will you have to haul water or food from a trading post? good point

Do you know how to make a fire and stay warm in the dead of winter? any tips on fire making?

Can you live without TV? Internet? Cell phone? Can your kids survive without them? yes yes yes no kids

It is fine if you have food and water but being put back into the 1800's with a day fulll of work and little outside enteretainment will drive some people crazy!!!

Can you or your kids live without an ipod blasting into their ears... I know of some kids who have told my kids that they can't stand silence. And wanted to know how my kids handle living without ipods Those familes are going to have it rough when the SHTF.

ETA: Can you live without your daily ARFCOM fix? That will be hard for me. oh shit no
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]

The one I like along those lines is, "It's not the mountain that wears you down, it's the pebble in your shoe."

Shane
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#27]

The notion that one will not survive a particular catastrophe is, in general terms, a comfort since it is equivalent to abolishing the catastrophe.

Iris Murdoch
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The best one liner for surviving I ever heard was from a Drill Sgt.

"Stay alert, stay alive."

my Drill Sgt. use to always say "What makes the green grass grow - Blood, Blood, Blood"
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Survival is a combo tool , the sum of all parts , not just one thing.....
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Downhill, downwind, and downstream leads to civilization.

Prepare for the most likely scenario first, and the least likely last.

Stay alert, stay alive.

Murphy is your constant companion.

Ops
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get in shape.

Can you cut wood with an axe all day?  yep

Can you hike 5 miles with a pack full of gear? How far will you have to haul water or food from a trading post? good point

Do you know how to make a fire and stay warm in the dead of winter? any tips on fire making?

Can you live without TV? Internet? Cell phone? Can your kids survive without them? yes yes yes no kids

ETA: Can you live without your daily ARFCOM fix? That will be hard for me. oh shit no

OK so now you know how to stay alive until your stored food and water run out.

So do you know what wild food is ediable? Ever go find it and try some of the recipes?

Can you catch game without a gun? Have you caught and tried to eat small game and bugs? Lots of protien in bugs, they will survive fallout and chemical and bio attacks. Deer and elk won't. So can you survive on what would be left?

Can you build a long term shelter? Log/sod/rock house/hogan?

Have you been practicing your garden skills? Do you have a stock of non-hybrid seeds and plants? If you don't practice gradening your will fail if the first time you do it is during the SHTF time.

Do you have a herbal garden for for medical usage?

Can you build and stock food in a ice house for storage of the food you have grown in a garden? (Don't want to eat wild for forever cause it won't last without roaming to far from your location.)

Can you make soap from natural suppiles? Maintaning your humanity is very important for long term survival. You will want to be clean and those with you will also. It sounds stupid but your mental state will go if you don't maintain your "humanity"

Do you know how to make simple medicines from plants?

How about dental care?

ETA;
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

+ a good flashlight,some rope,matches,and at least 1000 of ammo(for each)
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]
If there isn't any room service I'm not staying.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If you can aquire all things needed to live with just a knife then your good.

Fire
Shelter
Food
Water

all can come from a knife... just a knife... and if you can do it with a knife you'll make do with just your hands...

Then you are ready... anyting else you have will just make it that much easier... but you could do it with nothing...
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Don't piss off the giant fucking gorrilla.

Just stay off the island. In the movies, people always get a bad feeling just before they go on the island(or in the dark room with the monster in it).

That's what I consider one of the best pieces of advice.

Listen to that little voice when it warns you to avoid doing something.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#37]
“The only one who can tell you 'you can't' is you. And you don't have to listen.”
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Use the items you prepare with so you understand how they work and their limitations.  Practice the skills so you keep fresh on them.  <--I've been guilty of not doing both of these things and am working on getting better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Fearless

The corollary of that is an old sailor's line- "The ocean doesn't care."
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Heinlein had a nice list:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

It makes a good start.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fearless

wow the first real one..... thank you

oh shit did i post this in GD or a technical forum?

Hey now, my advice was real and sound.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

If you bring a gun make sure it's a rifle. ~Clintism
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Never bring a knife to a gunfight.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
snip

OK so now you know how to stay alive until your stored food and water run out.

So do you know what wild food is ediable? Ever go find it and try some of the recipes? any links to something like this?

Can you catch game without a gun? Have you caught and tried to eat small game and bugs? Lots of protien in bugs, they will survive fallout and chemical and bio attacks. Deer and elk won't. So can you survive on what would be left?

Can you build a long term shelter? Log/sod/rock house/hogan?

Have you been practicing your garden skills? Do you have a stock of non-hybrid seeds and plants? If you don't practice gradening your will fail if the first time you do it is during the SHTF time.

Do you have a herbal garden for for medical usage?

Can you build and stock food in a ice house for storage of the food you have grown in a garden? (Don't want to eat wild for forever cause it won't last without roaming to far from your location.)

Can you make soap from natural suppiles? Maintaning your humanity is very important for long term survival. You will want to be clean and those with you will also. It sounds stupid but your mental state will go if you don't maintain your "humanity" links?

Do you know how to make simple medicines from plants?

How about dental care?

ETA;
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I like to play "What If?"  I could be anywhere and ask myself "what would I do if X happened right now?  What would I need?  How would I get home?" Etc., etc.  

It's also one way I get ideas for writing.

David
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
bring a gun

ALWAYS bring a gun.

Always bring a big gun and know how to use it.

if you dont have a gun , dont come
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#48]
it doesn't matter how prepared you think you are, mr. murphy always has a way of showing up and buttfucking your plans at the worst possible time,

so don't just have a couple of contingency plans, but a whole book of them and be flexible at all times, be able to act fast and think outside the box, don't fall into the single thought mindset frame of mind when murphy shows up grinnin' w/o the astroglide.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#49]
get off your ass and do it,rather you 1/2 ass it now , than do nothing and suffer later!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#50]
i'm betting the real answer to this question aint gonna be found on a computer ...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top