Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 8:05:03 PM EDT
So there's this BIG train wreak in Painsville ( how ironic ) and the police forced evacuated some 1300 people cause of burning chemicals.

alright whatever.  so I'm watching the local news, and they spotlight this one guy that trying to get home to his wife and blind, disabled daughter, and the police will not let him in to get them.  so they sneek him in the news van to go  get them. they get there, and due to her condictions, needs a ton of stuff, none of which is in anyway ready to go.

luckly for them a neighbor came over to help move all the stuff. I can't help but to think that even some sort of pre-packed rubber made storage box would have made things easer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow. Good catch, BB. They should have planned for emergency bug out with extra consideration of their problems, but probably thought that with their "issues" they would never bug out. They were wrong...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Good post. I think EVERYONE needs a grab and go box/bag. But esp. ppl with medical needs.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree to the bug out bag for the disabled.

This may seem rough but what would you do if there was someone that was so disabled that they couldn't "bug out"? I'm talking about a grandmother or something.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Agree to the bug out bag for the disabled.

This may seem rough but what would you do if there was someone that was so disabled that they couldn't "bug out"? I'm talking about a grandmother or something.

depends on the situation. I mean if its Serious SHTF and nothing is safe, maybe try and move at nite. Or give ole granny some firepower and hope she can hold her own. I dunno. But I do hope ppl that have these situations seriously come up with a game plan. Zombies aside, jus take lessons from NOLA. If ppl all over the country havent learned from that one episode than they get the Darwin Award IMO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
this derailment affected us we are 5 miles from the derailment and all of our freinds from that area came to stay. out of the 5 only one had a bug out bag with her. the other males didnt and were quickly put to shame by our female freind. they learned their lesson when they drove to the wall mart to try to get close for the night most of the stuff they needed was out or not in their size. when they came back we had dinner and clothes for them. they were amazed at how a little preparing can save your but. we spent most of the night educationg them and doing what ifs. i think we converted a few to at least look around and think for themseves
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Being disabled myself, I think that Bugging Out will be an absolute last ditch effort. I have Cerebral Palsy, I don't think I've ever mentioned it on the board before so now you all know. Luckily it's pretty mild and only affects my legs. I walk with a limp/waddle. But cognitively I'm fine. I play on a wheelchair rugby team aka Muderball. (Anyone seen the movie? If not go to blockbuster and rent it it's great) Back to the point, I have several friends who are quadriplegics and I often worry about how they'd do when the SHTF.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Being disabled myself, I think that Bugging Out will be an absolute last ditch effort. I have Cerebral Palsy, I don't think I've ever mentioned it on the board before so now you all know. Luckily it's pretty mild and only affects my legs. I walk with a limp/waddle. But cognitively I'm fine. I play on a wheelchair rugby team aka Muderball. (Anyone seen the movie? If not go to blockbuster and rent it it's great) Back to the point, I have several friends who are quadriplegics and I often worry about how they'd do when the SHTF.  

I saw that movie and you have my respect. I wouldn't want any of the murderball guys pissed at me that's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that movie and you have my respect. I wouldn't want any of the murderball guys pissed at me that's for sure.

hell no me either...and Im in good health and I'd be damed If I get in a Wheelchair and do what those guys do...its CRAZY! ..more balls than me!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top