BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2007 9:23:58 PM EDT
Of food?  

Of ammo?

Of medical supplies?

Of canning equipment?

And gardening seeds?

Just wondering how you folks decide that you've stored up enough for year one and are moving on to year two.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
overkill

grains have 100 calories/oz
legumes have 50
fats have 200

so 1# rice,1/2# beans, 1 0z oil = 2200 calories.

multiply by 365/ person
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on # of people and location. Check out some of the food storage sites and some have medical supply info too. Last I checked to feed a family of 4 for 2 years was about $3,300.00 in dehydrated foods. Don't get caught up with hi tech medical supplies, remember clean linens, ointments and peroxide / alcohol. Try and stay basic. Hope that helps....Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#3]
a pound a day keeps the PAW away

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
For food, the smart way to do it would be to decide on a couple dozen recipes and then get enough food to make each recipe 15 times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.providentlivingcenter.com/

These folks have been doing the year at a time storage thing for a long time.  Lots of good info.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Or here.  They have a food storage calculator as well.  The new one isn't very good though, it's very basic.  They used to have one that covered everything.  Now it's just rice and beans.

Sweet, I found the old one.  lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

ETA:  I have 3 months, so I'm quite a ways away from 1 year, and moving on to two.  I just don't have the room anymore.  Luckily, my parents live fairly close, and they have OK'ed me storing food there.  I'm planning on buying a crap load of wheat and storing it there.  I'm planning on at least 2000 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]
There are also some great ideas on www.survivalblog.com & here...
thementalmilitia.com/forums/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top