Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:41:11 AM EDT
Criteria:
-all parts/supplies must be available locally (i.e. Lowes/Home Depot);
-made of wood, or from material that can be obtained at the stores mentioned above;
-uses castors for easily repositioning;
-the box/container itself must be reasonably secure so that firearms can be stored (its not supposed to be a safe, juse secure enough to keep the average 15-25 year-old out); the location where the box is to be is secure;
-must be able to hold a significant amount of weight (i.e. ammo cans full of ammo); but not water;
-construction must not call for more than basic tools (i.e. skill saw, drill, level, etc.)
-it can be no bigger than 32in deep, 72in long, and 72in high
-materials used for the sides/top/bottom must solid (so you can't see in)
-it must cost less than $300.00 to build

Assumptions:
-it will be positioned outdoors, but out of the elements (e.g. in a non-climate controlled warehouse)
-it must look unassuming; and not scream "SHTF supplies box"
-a crew of 1-2 will build it

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of curiosity:
Do you have any experience with carpentry?
What tools do you have to build this with?
Would more than one container be viable?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
For supplies, why not get 3 or 4 of those heavy black plastic lockable wheeled storage bins?  I see them at Lowes and Home Depo as contractor's boxes and job boxes.  They cost around $45 to $95, depending on size, each.  So should be within your budget.  Also you can move them around a lot easier than some 6 foot monstrosity.

For storing guns get a metal storage locker.  I picked up a couple of metal double wall lockers that secure with padlocks for $50 at a building supply surplus store.  These came out of a gym, but are still 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall, and they don't scream "guns" when somebody sees them.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Out of curiosity:
Do you have any experience with carpentry? Some, but I'm no handiman.  Backyard projects only.  I can operate a skill saw without cutting off my fingers . . . .
What tools do you have to build this with? Besides basic hand tools, I have a skill saw, saw horses, and a commercial class drill.  No table saw, no router, no miter saw . . . .
Would more than one container be viable? Possibly, but ideally no.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For supplies, why not get 3 or 4 of those heavy black plastic lockable wheeled storage bins?   For storing guns get a metal storage locker.

I want this built of wood.  Wood can be burgled, but not as easily as the plastic stuff.  Also, plastic won't support the weight of several loaded ammo cans.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like this isn't something you are going to shift into a vehicle if SHTF.

It sounds an awful lot like a steel double door heavy duty locker is what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It sounds like this isn't something you are going to shift into a vehicle if SHTF. Correct Ken, this will not be placed in/moved to a vehicle.  In the event of bug-out, necessary items will be removed.

It sounds an awful lot like a steel double door heavy duty locker is what you're looking for.Ideally, a steel double-door heavy-duty locker is exactly what I would use.  Unfortunately, a locker the size I need is cost-prohibitive for me. I figure I can build something suitable/similar out of wood for much less.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It sounds like this isn't something you are going to shift into a vehicle if SHTF. Correct Ken, this will not be placed in/moved to a vehicle.  In the event of bug-out, necessary items will be removed.

It sounds an awful lot like a steel double door heavy duty locker is what you're looking for.Ideally, a steel double-door heavy-duty locker is exactly what I would use.  Unfortunately, a locker the size I need is cost-prohibitive for me. I figure I can build something suitable/similar out of wood for much less.

Depending on your area, you could find something secondhand for way under $300.  I passed up something very like this a couple months back at a garage sale for $40.  Check the phone book for used office furniture.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Uhmmm.... like this?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You may want to look at one of the Greenlee or JobBox gang boxes. Steel, durable as hell, affordable. They come in a bunch of different sizes. This one is 48"x24"x24"

$288 at Lowes. Wheels are another $50.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I see what you're looking for.  

Here is what I made for real outdoor storage.  It's been painted since these pictures were taken and it's doing fine.  

I would challenge your thinking on the item for in the garage.  If I understand what you're looking for, you don't want to spend as much as the Jobox would cost.  Regardless, here's what I've done (without the casters part).  I have the heavy duty shelves from Sam's.  Then I bought really thin pressboard (that's what we've always called it - it's about as thick as cardboard, but much heavier).  I drilled holes in the press board and bolted it to the shelf holes on the rack.  This is in my garage and the press boards prevent my neighbors from seeing what's on the racks (so I won't have to kill them - kidding).  

You could use these shelves for lighter stuff if you'd like.  The big outdoor box I built is strong enough that it would work with casters.

Those are my thoughts - good luck on your project.

R.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Freemansq:
Here is what I made for real outdoor storage. It's been painted since these pictures were taken and it's doing fine.

This looks great for what you're after.
added suggestion:  Use lots of gorilla glue.  seals up the cracks nicely.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]

You may want to look at one of the Greenlee or JobBox gang boxes. Steel, durable as hell, affordable. They come in a bunch of different sizes. This one is 48"x24"x24"

Yep -- I'll agree.  These boxes make GREAT SHTF/storage/ammo boxes -- lockable too.  I have two of them.

Stop over at Home Depot and check them out.  I bought one at their "scratch and dent" sale.  Had one scratch on the side, and a very small one on the top.  Paid a grand total of $100 -- out the door.  

Thought that was a pretty good bargin  ! !

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think I see what you're looking for.  

Here is what I made for real outdoor storage.  

Outstanding!  I hadn't seen your thread/container before.  You have built almost exactly what I had envisioned.  I will use your container as a guide.  As a reward, I'll stop talking bad about lawyers . . . .
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You may want to look at one of the Greenlee or JobBox gang boxes.

I'll take a look . . . . thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Uhmmm.... like this?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/521092.jpg

$288 at Lowes. Wheels are another $50.

That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For supplies, why not get 3 or 4 of those heavy black plastic lockable wheeled storage bins?   For storing guns get a metal storage locker.

I want this built of wood.  Wood can be burgled, but not as easily as the plastic stuff.  Also, plastic won't support the weight of several loaded ammo cans.

I have these black wheeled totes, I bolted my table saw to one.  I think these are heavier than the ones you are thinking of.  They have a slide out handle and wheels on one end.

They will easily roll around 10+ loaded ammo cans.  I kept tools (big tools, like chop saws, 1/2" drills, rebar benders) in three of them, and with the locks on them, they kept the honest people honest.

Even 3/4" plywood and 2x4 is easily burgled with the same hammer.

If you really want a little security, spend the $300 on one of the large lockable metal jobsite boxes (knaack??) that they sell, they are something like 5'hx5'wx30"deep.  Put casters on the bottom.... (Or not, makes it easy to roll up into someones truck??).

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a deal on a Pelican 1660 Case, and not to spoil my upcoming project, I am going to make a BOB (blow out box) out of it. Two of these may do you well and its sexier than a wooden box See specs:

1660 Case
Interior Dimensions:
28.18" x 19.75" x 17.62" (71.5 x 50.1 x 44.7 cm)

* Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof
   * Easy open Double Throw latches
   * Open cell core with solid wall design - strong, light weight
   * O-ring seal
   * Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve
   * Large 2-person fold down handles
   * Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors
   * 3 level Pick 'N' Pluck™ with convoluted lid foam
   * Personalized nameplate service available
   * Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
   * Retractable extension handle
   * 4 strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings

What ever you do, plan for the worst and make sure you can move it by yourself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have these black wheeled totes, I bolted my table saw to one.  I think these are heavier than the ones you are thinking of.  They have a slide out handle and wheels on one end.

Do you have a pic or link?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got a deal on a Pelican 1660 Case, and not to spoil my upcoming project, I am going to make a BOB (blow out box) out of it. Two of these may do you well and its sexier than a wooden box See specs:

1660 Case
Interior Dimensions:
28.18" x 19.75" x 17.62" (71.5 x 50.1 x 44.7 cm)

* Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof
   * Easy open Double Throw latches
   * Open cell core with solid wall design - strong, light weight
   * O-ring seal
   * Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve
   * Large 2-person fold down handles
   * Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors
   * 3 level Pick 'N' Pluck™ with convoluted lid foam
   * Personalized nameplate service available
   * Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence
   * Retractable extension handle
   * 4 strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings

www.casefoam.com/pelicancases/pelican-1660.jpg

What ever you do, plan for the worst and make sure you can move it by yourself.

If I was a thief, I'd take out the stuff and steal the box.  Those Pelican cases are NICE but PRICEY!!!

My only concern is that it would be a little to easy to steal.  It would protect your stuff from the weather just fine though!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top